• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I want to play around with binding position

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I want to remove the bindings from a pair of skis and move them forward, but I don't know how far will work for me.
I need a trial-and-error option so I don't end up with too many holes in the skis; I like them.
The current bindings are fine by me, but they are not on a rail or plate.
Is there a rail/plate of some sort that I can buy and mount on the skis, then attach the bindings on top and move them fore-aft to try different positions?

Or do I need to buy new bindings that originally come with such a rail/plate?
If that's the only option, what binding with a rail/plate would people recommend I get? I don't need a high din.

Current skis: Kastle FX84, 168
Current bindings: Marker Squire

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For demo-bindings, everyone here at Pugski is a fan of the Tyrolia Attack 13 Demo-binding.
You can independently move the toe & heel pieces with the flick of a lever. I have them on all my skis

There is a recent thread on demo binding choices here:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/demo-binding-choices.1337/

Marker make a demo-version of the Squire & Griffon & Jester, but nothing you can retrofit with your current Squires. The Markers have always required a screwdriver to adjust them, so not as easy as the Attack.

The Attack 13 Demo looks like this:

111721_attack-13-demo_wo-brake-_d_-solid-black-white-_kein-singlecode__sideleft.png

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Option 1 - plate and civilian (fixed mount) binding. There are a lot of options here, more than appears at first glance. BUT - just about every single one of those options will lift you up off the ski by 10mm minimum. If you're OK with that then go with a flat (non-predrilled) plate and your current bindings, just pick a plate that will not affect your ski flex very much.

Example: Tyrolia RDX plate

Option 1.5 - hostage plate and civilian (fixed mount) binding of the same make as the plate. The advantage of these over option 1 is generally price point. Also, ease of repositioning - they've dimpled the appropriate screw spots.

Example: Tyrolia Speedflex, Power Pro

Option 2 - demo binding or race binding with fore/aft adjustment. This is the only way to get fore/aft adjustability without lifting the binding high off the ski - but you have to be careful as to both built-in lift and as to adjustment (some have more than others).

Have you built a teeter board yet? That's a cheap start to figuring out how much fore/aft offset is built into your static stance. $Cheap as in <$30 at the hardware store. AND it lets you shim under the boot lug. Yes, both toe and heel shims will affect your perception of mounting point balance.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I agree that the easiest thing would be to get a Marker Schizo binding. It has a 6cm range of adjustment which should cover anything.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having owned Jester Schizos and many Griffon & Jester Demos, the Attack Demo is far easier than the Markers as no tool is required.
I can unload at the top, ski to a flat spot, dismount from my skis, crouch down and change my mount point on both skis in 30 seconds.
The Attack also offers an easy-to-see visual cue for the heel forward pressure setting.
( But essentially, if you move the Toe 2 clicks and the Heal 2 clicks, and you're good for forward pressure anyways ).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new Marker demo bindings are tool less for adjustment,

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If the OP is currently on Marker Squire bindings then a switch to a Tyrollia Attack 11 demo binding will probably be adequate and a little less expensive then an Attack 13.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
IMO most easiest way of doing it is Marker Schizos this way you wouldn't have to play with forward pressure to adjust it properly every time you move bindings. However you need screwdriver.
also binding need to be installed NOT by manufacturers recommendations to give you greater range of motion.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMO most easiest way of doing it is Marker Schizos this way you wouldn't have to play with forward pressure to adjust it properly every time you move bindings. However you need screwdriver.
also binding need to be installed NOT by manufacturers recommendations to give you greater range of motion.
You mentioned that..what did you find to be the optimal new mount..taking into consideraiton that the OP is a woman with a smaller BSL?

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
You mentioned that..what did you find to be the optimal new mount..taking into consideraiton that the OP is a woman with a smaller BSL?

sorry wasn't clear I didn't meant manufacturer recommendations of skis I meant standard installation of binding.

I can only speak for skis I designed and built. Several years ago I followed BOF on center running length method -3 to 5 cm for rocker skis. which proved to be not the best on mad Russian skis. My current approach is boot center on center of sidecut which is thickest point on the skis or I call it center of everything. This is IMO a good starting point and I always recommend adjustable/demo binding. where usually on hard pack days binding might need to be moved forward from CoE and on POW days could be better go slightly back. Final locations very individual.

BSL effect.. do not know what to tell you. At the time I used boots 294 .... if adjustable/demo binding installed "correctly" it will give approximately 3 inches range of motion on the rail imo enough to figure out best position

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I'm on cambered skis, waist 84.
BSL is 280.
My weight is in my hips and thighs, narrow shoulders above.
Great advice; I'm still listening.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a question: what is considered a "short" BSL? We hear so much about BSL impacting ramp angle (I get that that's just math), etc.

I hover around a 296-300 for my alpine boots, and I have trouble thinking that my foot is small - although I guess an 8/8.5 US men's is small for men - but maybe in athletic gear, where everything starts with men and then trickles down, that is small. I have had issues with Marker bindings, Griffon and Squire, that people typically say are exacerbated by short BSLs. But what's short?

I wonder if there would be benefit in designing bindings specifically for short BSLs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a question: what is considered a "short" BSL? We hear so much about BSL impacting ramp angle (I get that that's just math), etc.

I hover around a 296-300 for my alpine boots, and I have trouble thinking that my foot is small - although I guess an 8/8.5 US men's is small for men - but maybe in athletic gear, where everything starts with men and then trickles down, that is small. I have had issues with Marker bindings, Griffon and Squire, that people typically say are exacerbated by short BSLs. But what's short?

I wonder if there would be benefit in designing bindings specifically for short BSLs.
Bindings (like boots) are measured using a 25.5-26.5 shell, above or below that and the further our, things change. What I consider a short BSL is anothing under 280mm, this is where ramp starts to dramatically change down to a 260mm (the smallest of the adult lug boots).

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I didn't receive any different response from people skiing on mad Russian skis and have different BSL. Their ranges from 285 to 340 … All on the same skis all on the same binding.

Don't over think it. Get binding of your choice. Install it and start cranking it. Make sure you have travel range in both direction. Or rent identical skis with demo binding and do the same. This way you don't have to do anything with your binding/skis for first experiment

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Bindings (like boots) are measured using a 25.5-26.5 shell, above or below that and the further our, things change. What I consider a short BSL is anothing under 280mm, this is where ramp starts to dramatically change down to a 260mm (the smallest of the adult lug boots).

So the reference BSL is exactly mine. That works for me :)

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Marker demo bindings are tool less for adjustment,

I keep hearing this but I have yet to see these mythical bindings for sale anywhere, let alone even a photo of one.

Even at Untracked.Com ( Al's Ski Barn ) they list a 2017 Jester demo, but still has a screw adjustment:
http://www.untracked.com/p5300c81b54-17_marker_jester_16_demo_ski_binding.html

Any idea when the new Marker demos will hit the market ?
( that said, I see no reason to switch from my Attack 13 Demo as by binding of choice )

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I keep hearing this but I have yet to see these mythical bindings for sale anywhere, let alone even a photo of one.

Even at Untracked.Com ( Al's Ski Barn ) they list a 2017 Jester demo, but still has a screw adjustment:
http://www.untracked.com/p5300c81b54-17_marker_jester_16_demo_ski_binding.html

Any idea when the new Marker demos will hit the market ?
( that said, I see no reason to switch from my Attack 13 Demo as by binding of choice )
You are not seeing pics because they are not really for retail I will get some pics the next time i see them. Either way. i would still choose the Attack and even the Warden demo over it.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So if you have a larger bsl (316) and want to use a pair of Attack demos to play with mounting points do you intentionally mismount the tracks? It would seem if you set them up properly, there wouldn't be much of a range of adjustment.

Sponsor

Staff online