• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I Want To Be Smarter Than A 5th Grader About The Body

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site or a book I could use to become more informed about the body and how it works. At this point I'm not to interested in the function of our organs and things like that, but how the body moves and is connected.

What muscles/bones/tendons/ligaments are where and what do they do.

I want to have a better understanding to help with coaching, movement analysis and selfishly to help me take better care of me.

Something like "The human body for dummies". I'm not interested in becoming a PT or anything like that (way too much work) but I realized I have a better understanding of my computer and how it works than I do my own body. That's messed up and I would like to correct it. Especially since I don't understand my computer that well.

Thanks,
Ken

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
You were working on the right thought line...

9780764554223_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

And just for fun... and since I spent the time to view it...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Strength Training Anatomy
Edition: 3rdISBN: 9780736092265By: Delavier

This book has simple pictures showing which muscles contract to cause which movements; it's a classic. Anything by Delavier is good for this. You don't have to read a textbook to figure out what does what. Here's a sample page:
pullup.png

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site or a book I could use to become more informed about the body and how it works. At this point I'm not to interested in the function of our organs and things like that, but how the body moves and is connected.

What muscles/bones/tendons/ligaments are where and what do they do.

I want to have a better understanding to help with coaching, movement analysis and selfishly to help me take better care of me.

Something like "The human body for dummies". I'm not interested in becoming a PT or anything like that (way too much work) but I realized I have a better understanding of my computer and how it works than I do my own body. That's messed up and I would like to correct it. Especially since I don't understand my computer that well.

Thanks,
Ken

PM @Brian Finch/IRiponSnow

I would assume he could point you in the right direction. *(missed his post)^^^^

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Kinesiology. Pretty common area of study for folks who wish careers in sports medicine and/or sports performance research/consulting. I think in the old days, the study & research of "body mechanics" evolved into what kinesiology is today. Many universities - and even community colleges - have kinesiology programs/courses.

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
Ya could see me next time ur in Killington
As much as I would like to do it, I don't typically plan trips to Killington; at least not to ski. I haven't been in over 40 years. However, where I work just went to a new PTO system which will make it harder to hoard our paid time off, so I might have to burn some time this year as I'm already approaching the max.

I'll keep you posted.

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
Kinesiology. Pretty common area of study for folks who wish careers in sports medicine and/or sports performance research/consulting. I think in the old days, the study & research of "body mechanics" evolved into what kinesiology is today. Many universities - and even community colleges - have kinesiology programs/courses.

I hadn't really considered a course like that but that might be a very good approach for me.

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
You were working on the right thought line...

9780764554223_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

And just for fun... and since I spent the time to view it...

OK. I watched the video. I liked it and see the "crash course" side of this as a preamble to me getting serious about things so when I start getting down to details, I don't have to look up all the terms.

Thanks!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You could do it like I do - keep damaging various body parts and become intimately familiar with them as you rehab them!

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
You could do it like I do - keep damaging various body parts and become intimately familiar with them as you rehab them!

Been there. Done that!

Well almost, I keep injuring the same or similar areas; left acl, right acl, right rotator cuff twice but each time different muscles. This is on top of being sent to physical therapy twice because the muscle spasms in my shoulder area and neck got so bad I couldn't lift my head or turn it side to side.

On the latter, along with physical therapy, I'm upping my yoga practice. From what I understand, the monks developed yoga so they could sit and meditate longer. I sit in front of a computer for sometimes 13 hours a day at a stressful job (#1 contributing factor to the spasms). If it worked for the monks it should work for me.

Because of the above and various injuries while in the Marines, I've been compensating movement patterns for quite some time and bit by bit, as I find out, I work on correcting them and don't even know I'm doing it and is part of why I'm wanting to learn more. Hoping to move away from hindsight to foresight ogsmile

Ken

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
I meant to get back to this thread to bring up a couple things I found. Though I still suck at how the body is put together, I did find this guys youtube channel helpful on how to work it out and make it move.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0DZhN-8KFLYO6beSaYljg/featured

I haven't done all of what he recommends though I have incorporated some, and some seem like they are 40 years too late. It is good to see how the body is supposed to move and capable of.

I don't know if he's 100% correct or what he background is, but I do know it has been helpful. I'm not training for the Olympics. I just want to be healthier and stronger than I am now and be able to ski well into my 80s.

As for how I found him, I'm not completely sure. After looking at the links provided above, youtube kept making recommendations and one popped up from him on doing squats correctly (which I struggle with). He has three videos on squats; fixing the ankles, hips and shoulders for squats. I found it very helpful, rummaged through many of his other stuff (there is a ton) and decided to subscribe. He puts on a video about once a week I guess.

Also, as a side note, I bought a TRX knock off (Quon Quill). Better reviews than TRX but 25% of the cost. If you haven't used one, I recommend it. You will feel it. I also took it with me to DC for a week in a hotel. The door thingamabob worked great. The only drawback was the door to the room was in a hallway and was less than 5' wide so any wing span or side to side exercises wouldn't work.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Ken

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
one app I like to play around with is https://www.biodigital.com/

you'll have to create a free account but I know this was useful for my partner when she was going through yoga teacher training.

Wow! This is awesome. I downloaded the free app and am impressed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go Prime. For $10 a year this is a great deal. My only hesitation is I'm so busy now already (work and coaching) and am pretending I have enough time to study for the Level 200 course, I don't dare take on another distraction.

Thanks,
Ken

Sponsor

Staff online