• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I want a ski. I am not sure it exists. But I think it might.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
My thoughts... 6" of eastern snow and western snow are so completely different, I mean they even swirl the other direction when falling to earth. For western snow, you'll need two toboggans and a snowmobile.... or a horse. Seriously though, there'd be no difference. 6" is 6" .... NNN BC

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I guess he's not talking about the Northwest??

Can what the NW typically gets actually be called "powder"? Isn't it called Sierra Cement for a reason?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe cascade cement.ogsmile But 6" of fluff or even glop on anything with some sort of base can be skated on. The fluff will be easier, but people have been doing it on xc gear for decades. I was serious about an XCD set up. Pole choice would be important too. Need something to help push off of...

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'd imagine these boats do pretty well...http://www.lib-tech.com/skis/megapow/
1617-libtech-ski-megapow-web.png

Is that the one they call the Small Ass Snowboard?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
my 4frnt renegades skate powder pretty easily

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Good luck pushing off with your poles..

James

Out There
Instructor
So Magnatraction is still around?

LibTech is not Liberty

Movement is not Moment

Very annoying brand names.
Then there's

Marmot is not Mammut

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So Magnatraction is still around?

Yup, but it’s mostly owned by the snowboard industry. I believe the Rossignol Jeremy Jones snowboard was the original. When Jones broke off and started his own company the technology went with him (but Rossignol still kept rights to use it). Somehow Mervin (LibTech/Gnu/Roxy) got ahold of it, not sure how that one happened.

It’s a lot more useful in snowboards where you don’t have the same edge hold as with skis (1 edge vs 2...or 2 vs 4, depending on how you look at it).

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe cascade cement.ogsmile But 6" of fluff or even glop on anything with some sort of base can be skated on. The fluff will be easier, but people have been doing it on xc gear for decades. I was serious about an XCD set up. Pole choice would be important too. Need something to help push off of...

Thanks for that vid, made my day.
Impressive SNS BC skiing!

James

Out There
Instructor
To pick a non-random example, say there is 6" of new-fallen, unplowed snow on Okemo Mountain Road.

Give me a pair of 188cm Q115 with good wax and I can skate that.
Going down could be interesting.
There's only one turn that would be tough. The right to stay on lower mt road instead of straight to Village Run. Prob will be fine as the flat before and the pow will slow you. Thousand steps through the turn though!

Going up? With 115mm:188's? Well, with anything, only a crazy ski mo person does that.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Going down could be interesting.
There's only one turn that would be tough. The right to stay on lower mt road instead of straight to Village Run. Prob will be fine as the flat before and the pow will slow you. Thousand steps through the turn though!

Going up? With 115mm:188's? Well, with anything, only a crazy ski mo person does that.

@James, you OK?

Sponsor