• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I want a ski. I am not sure it exists. But I think it might.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I want to be able to skate powder. Western powder. I think it is possible.

I already know I can skate Vermont powder - pretty much any of the Salomon Q series over 100mm will do that for me (and has).

I have zero expectations of the skis' downhill performance - anything goes in that regard.

James

Out There
Instructor
Two snowboards.

Otherwise, here's a ski 139mm underfoot:
image.jpg

https://www.fat-ypus.com/product/2016-mack-5/
On sale.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Two snowboards.

If you know of snowboards that have flex..rocker and splay comparable to a Solly Q-series... which are they?

If they dig in at the little toe edge on set down, waist width is worthless.

I don't have junkboards yet b/c most of the cheap boards down here are uselessly short - and alpine boards cost a mint even used.

Fatypus, Gary Wayne, yeh, I expected behemoths like that.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Moment Ghost Train should work very very well.

There are many good options in what you are looking for.

The Volkl 2 is another one, The Armada JJ as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
So just go wider if you want to skate in bottomless powder. With very little sidecut. Hopefully light.

Now maybe just go straight to what Chuck Patterson used to ski waves.
Starr skis. Should work for skating. Doubt the flex is good for skiing in snow, but since you just want to skate...
s1w2542.jpg

image.jpg

https://chuckpattersonsports.wordpress.com/tag/jason-starr-wave-skis/

No "digging in" (??) of little toe due to reverse sidecut.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Moment Ghost Train should work very very well.

There are many good options in what you are looking for.

The Volkl 2 is another one, The Armada JJ as well.

Wait, I seem to think you own/owned one of those? Have you tried it? (That would be awesome if you have). The Volkl 2 is one I thought about; Moment is completely off my radar.

FWIW, my Zag H112s will *not* do it - too stiff in the tips.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So just go wider if you want to skate in bottomless powder. With very little sidecut. Hopefully light.

Now maybe just go straight to what Chuck Patterson used to ski waves.
Starr skis. Should work for skating. Doubt the flex is good for skiing in snow, but since you just want to skate...

Note to self: Get a pair of those. Get a traction kite. Get a new dry suit.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I take it the Two won't do it eh?

Quotes from Evo (and let me know if I'm totally misunderstanding your request):

The Völkl Three Skis laugh at your puny 105 mm "all mountain" skis, earthling. Sidecut? Bah, overrated. Step up to the bottomless powder plate with these new bad boyz and surf that 9% fresh like it's corduroy, no lie. Völkl was just getting warmed up with the One and the Two, there were people and places that demanded more - here it is.

SHAPE
They don't get much bigger or straighter than this . . .

And check out the turning radii for the available lengths!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Quotes from Evo (and let me know if I'm totally misunderstanding your request):

Err...you used to have a pair of Twos, no? Did they ride high enough to be skateable?

I mean, if you really wanted to, could you have? I'm sure you did at least some herringboning in them, to get a bit feel. Did they every so often bust out into a glide as you were doing it?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wait, I seem to think you own/owned one of those? Have you tried it? (That would be awesome if you have). The Volkl 2 is one I thought about; Moment is completely off my radar.

FWIW, my Zag H112s will *not* do it - too stiff in the tips.

No, I own the Moment Deathwish. They are 112mm wide, 190cm in length. Great in powder. They are flat underfoot and with a long sidecut so they pivot easy. You can see them in action in my videos HERE and HERE from out west. I weight about 180 and they provide enough float out west. I was told the Night Train is even more floaty / surfy and it looked like it would be. Moment makes pretty light skis, no metal, they have carbon and fiberglass layers and they are NOT noodles.

I have also used the Nordica Patron and the Soul7's in powder and the Moments I have beat them in float. The Patron is close though and can be really slashy if you want. I choose the Moments because the can charge in a wider range of conditions. If I were looking for a western powder only ski I would choose the Night Trains 194's no question.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah 51m sidecut is more what you want. Liberty lists that pow ski as "18". Not sure if they're using the old (very) way of listing side cut in mm's. If so, you'd think it should be 16mm as the wide to waist difference is 32mm total.

18 m is way too much sidecut for skating in pow I would think.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
18 m is way too much sidecut for skating in pow I would think.

I agree - too grabby at the tips, though it works well for people struggling to accelerate on hardpack because it gets them to the inside edge pushoff pretty fast.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Err...you used to have a pair of Twos, no? Did they ride high enough to be skateable?

I mean, if you really wanted to, could you have? I'm sure you did at least some herringboning in them, to get a bit feel. Did they every so often bust out into a glide as you were doing it?

I'm trying to remember. I don't think I ever had them somewhere where I had to go uphill. They were so heavy and wide that at my height even skiing downhill was pretty tiring, especially with that big TR. I'm finding that for my *koff* "style" (ie, lots of fighting the fall line), those big TRs are exhausting. They were really fun for the first few runs, but then I couldn't manage them, kept crossing my tips when my "style" included picking up the inside foot, and frequently landing on my face.

I don't think I've ever experienced a herringbone glide, so I can't help =/ I'm sorry.

Sponsor

Staff online