• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I think I want Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi's in 168. Do I?

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I won't be able to demo, and I want to take advantage of off-season sales.

Me:

I'm 5'7", weigh 165 pounds, and just turned 70.

I've been skiing since I was 12 and planning to ski at least till I'm 80 and can get free lift tickets.

Advanced skier (level 7-8), but only get to ski 6-8 days per season, exclusively in New England.

I walk alot, but I've realized that's not enough: I need to start a regular routine of leg strengthening workouts if I want to ski well.

Equipment - In 2015 I got new boots and skis:

Head Vector 115s - they're great.

Fischer Progressor 900's in 170 - they're good at what they're good at (you've heard it all before), but I now want all-mountain frontside skis that will be easier to maneuver in the bumps/trees/crud as well as the occasional few inches of fresh snow.

I'm thinking low-to-mid-80s, as the majority of my time will still be spent on steepish but smooth (and often quite firm) groomers.

FWIW, my previous skis were 2000 Atomic Beta Race 920's in 180, and I really loved those skis in their day.

So, based on extensive online research and the fact that I've loved Atomics before: I'm thinking 2019 Atomic Vantage X 83 CTi in 168.

Any comments/advice/feedback? Thanks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think you can go wrong with them. I was on some longer ones this year, but I'm bigger too.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
OK, I finally skied my new Atomics yesterday (1st time out this year) on nice packed powder, and I flat-out love them! The last time I skied my P900s was 8 months ago, but:
They carve, grip, and handle speed almost as well as the the P900's, but they are much easier to ski - more vesatile, more forgiving, almost as quick edge to edge, too, The The Vantage X83 CTi has been replaced by a new model this year (Vantage X 82 Ti, I think), so I'll just leave it at that. But I'm a happy camper! Oh, and the Phantom 2.0 'permanent wax' treatment seems to work just as well as the paste wax I used to use - another win!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have has the Vantage X 83 CTi as one of our Tester's Choice when it was introduced. Good buy.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Follow on (8 days and counting): Again, this ski has been replaced by a new model this year, so my comments may or may not be applicable.
I remain thrilled with these skis and very happy with the DPS Phantom II base treatment too.
These are high-performance skis, but they are NOT just a wider race ski. They are light and quick and moderately damped. You can lay them over, but you don't have to.
They handle very firm snow and moderately high speeds competently, but bust crud smoothly and and you can feather the edges on demand.
Very big fore/aft sweet spot. You don't really have to think about how to ski this ski - you just point them where you want to go.
And yes, Phil, the Warden binding does feel very solid - I didn't even know a binding could have a feel at all!
No trees and no powder yet due to lack of snow cover and only one run on ungroomed bumps - much easier to snake through them than with the P900s.
Overall assessment: Great Eastern OSQ for a 71-year-old ex-expert, but probably not quite enough ski for a younger hard-charger.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
In spite of what I said above ...
I've skied 2 days so far this season - 1 on the Atomics and 1 on the Fischers. The Fischers will be my daily drivers. They carve better and handle speed better on hard snow - it's that simple (for me and how/where I ski).

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
What I figured out (unless I'm wrong):

I ski 80% of the time on Eastern hardpack which often gets a bit icy by mid-afternoon.
I like skis that aren't too light and are well damped - a bit of heft provides a more solid feel at the expense of playfulness (whatever that is).
I'm not interested in more than a touch of tip rocker.
I like bindings mounted on a race plate.
I want the speed limit to be mine, not the skis'.
All of these characteristics make it easier to carve on hard snow, even if turn initiation has to be a bit more deliberate in more 3D conditions.

That's why I prefer the Progressor 900's (I think).

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Final Update:
So, I gave the Atomics to my son who desperately needed the update to his old skis & boots. I also had him fitted with new boots - Atomic Hawx 110 Prime XTD - the Warden bindings accept the grip-walk soles. He's my height but only weighs 130 lbs. He's an advanced intermediate - sort of a high-speed skidder. He skis much better on the new skis and boots, and I'm back in love with the P900's after having my own boots (Head Vector 115's) modified this past fall with new insoles slightly built up under the heel for a more aggressive stance. Only drawback is now I have to wax my skis again, but overall - Win/Win!