• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Excellent post @Muleski .

I get the number of people harping on good technique, but sometimes it feels like they forget the forest for the trees. Or more, they think their forest -- i.e. perfect form on groomed slopes -- is the forest. Skiing well is so much broader than that to many of us. I want to ski like Caston or Hoji -- not some d-team.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m going to go out on a limb that I think MANY on here would like to be on, but are hesitant to to do. Hesitant to speak out “against” any other group of skiers.

I have been around the sport for over 60 years. Both of my parents were accomplished ski racers, as was my older brother. I know a lot of former racers, USST on down and NONE bring Marcus’ smile and personal expression to the table when it comes to their later free skiing careers.

At the same time I REALLY struggle with the group of “technical skiers”, some on here, some very visible on other forums. Some prolific on YouTube, etc. I can here every one of them being critical of Marcus’ skiing....wanting to “do MA” on it. Looking at where his every movement is wrong. Blah. Blah. Blah.

I know some real high level coaches and athletes who ski with Marcus. Marcus does not try to influence a thing. He strives to ski as he wants and enjoy it. The “vibe” at his summer camp, Party Beach Camps, is very much about fun and personal expression.

This past summer a young friend was coaching two WC athletes. One on one with each. In both cases, he had a couple of the biggest “names” in technical skiing sticking their noses into things. Both had skied a bit with these athletes when they were very young, like under 10.

The coach had to deprogram both athletes. They were skiing like perfect little robots after three days....and slow as hell. A week plus later, they were back to where they were before the techies. Having wasted two weeks on snow!

We discussed how that group, and the Dalai Lama of them all think they have all the answers. ALL OF THEM, when it comes to skiing the BEST.

I say, B.S. If I were back parenting younget ski racers, with a goal of being great life long skiers, anywhere on anything, THERE IS NOBODY who I would want them to be emulating as skier more than Marcus.

He’s also a very good guy. A very good person. From a really solid family.

Love to see his growing commercial success as people really admire and enjoy his skiing.

And for those who hate the 187cm Bonafide, we can have another conversation, HaHa. He would like a few pairs of 193cm pressed, I hear!

Marcus can anything. But he is also a very sound risk manager. Awesome.
He knows what mainstream, currently accepted technique is, he exhibits it much of the time. But he's a virtuoso, he shouldn't be constrained by it and isn't. He nailed those turns on the inside.

My favorite skier to watch.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thanks, beat me to it. We had a lot of Marcus conversation a year or so ago.

Yeah I followed that link from @4ster and found your thread referring to a video of Marcus free skiing in those long skinny old-school skis. Such a great example that it's more about the archer than the arrow.

I get the number of people harping on good technique, but sometimes it feels like they forget the forest for the trees. Or more, they think their forest -- i.e. perfect form on groomed slopes -- is the forest. Skiing well is so much broader than that to many of us. I want to ski like Caston or Hoji -- not some d-team.

I would go even further. In my book, technique is a means to come down the hill more efficiently. Not a goal. This is why, I think, racers tend to be such beautiful skiers. They focus on the outcome, and don't get hang up on semantics, or styles, or how it looks. They just need to beat that clock, and there is no arguing, you really are the fastest or not. No opinions :)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I’m going to go out on a limb that I think MANY on here would like to be on, but are hesitant to to do. Hesitant to speak out “against” any other group of skiers.

I have been around the sport for over 60 years. Both of my parents were accomplished ski racers, as was my older brother. I know a lot of former racers, USST on down and NONE bring Marcus’ smile and personal expression to the table when it comes to their later free skiing careers.

At the same time I REALLY struggle with the group of “technical skiers”, some on here, some very visible on other forums. Some prolific on YouTube, etc. I can here every one of them being critical of Marcus’ skiing....wanting to “do MA” on it. Looking at where his every movement is wrong. Blah. Blah. Blah.

I know some real high level coaches and athletes who ski with Marcus. Marcus does not try to influence a thing. He strives to ski as he wants and enjoy it. The “vibe” at his summer camp, Party Beach Camps, is very much about fun and personal expression.

This past summer a young friend was coaching two WC athletes. One on one with each. In both cases, he had a couple of the biggest “names” in technical skiing sticking their noses into things. Both had skied a bit with these athletes when they were very young, like under 10.

The coach had to deprogram both athletes. They were skiing like perfect little robots after three days....and slow as hell. A week plus later, they were back to where they were before the techies. Having wasted two weeks on snow!

We discussed how that group, and the Dalai Lama of them all think they have all the answers. ALL OF THEM, when it comes to skiing the BEST.

I say, B.S. If I were back parenting younget ski racers, with a goal of being great life long skiers, anywhere on anything, THERE IS NOBODY who I would want them to be emulating as skier more than Marcus.

He’s also a very good guy. A very good person. From a really solid family.

Love to see his growing commercial success as people really admire and enjoy his skiing.

And for those who hate the 187cm Bonafide, we can have another conversation, HaHa. He would like a few pairs of 193cm pressed, I hear!

Marcus can anything. But he is also a very sound risk manager. Awesome.

Fun is contagious. That's something some have a tendency to overlook.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun is contagious. That's something some have a tendency to overlook.

^ This. Skiing is suppose to be fun, and not regimented. What's the point in skiing exactly like everyone else? that's boring. Skiing could use a Judgement Free Zone.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
^ This. Skiing is suppose to be fun, and not regimented. What's the point in skiing exactly like everyone else? that's boring. Skiing could use a Judgement Free Zone.

Which is why there really shouldn't be ANY MA on anyone not asking or paying for it. Ever. Fin. Just keep that junk to your(thirdperson)self.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the last Marcus Caston thread, I asked if anyone had seen Marcus Caston and James Franco in the same room at the same time. Since then it seems no-one has. Hmmm....

220px-James_Franco_(Cropped).jpg
40819706_1046822475500510_801014467310649344_n.jpg

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Thinking of a funny story from last week. Was up doing night laps with a friend and saw a couple of snowboarders who certainly weren't 'good' by any objective sense of the word, but they were having a blast being silly while listening to 'Gangnam Style'. Normally boom box music on the hill drives me nuts, but there wasn't anyone much out, and they really were funny as hell and sure made us giggle. Fun? I'm anti-vax. It damn well should be contagious. ogsmile

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't change a thing with Marcus. He owns all the fundamentals, knows all the rules and breaks them at will! That is mastership if that's even a word! There are athletic skiers out there and there are technical skiers out there - he is not just athletic or technical or even "just" both, he's kind of above all that! It's awesome and inspiring to watch!

Thanks for this thread - we need this more often!

:daffy:

p.s. and now on a technical note :P in the IACR system for stages of skill development, the highest level of skill is Cv, which stands for "creative variation". He's clearly there if not beyond...

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I want to ski like Caston or Hoji -- not some d-team.

Oh, I think most of us would dig skiing like Eric Lipton. Or Sebastien Michel. Great 'tech' skiers who play with terrain.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have had some serious difficulty with some of the technical guys sticking their noses into the race world. Coming off as real know it alls, and screwing up the process. And before we jump all over the USST, PSIA.....I’m talking about foreign athletes. So that’s my bias. And I really am trying to lose it. Hearing it for almost 40 years makes it hard at times!

Marcus has zero bias about any of it, I believe and hear. Just loves skiing, and sharing a lot of it with anybody. Which I think is so great. Love watching him ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Thanks for this thread - we need this more often!

Yes, +1 to that - I really like Marcus' skiing, just followed on Instagram and checked out all those videos. What I love about it is - he makes freeskiing look accessible to me as an aspiring expert who is at an age where I shouldn't be leaving the ground for long distances or time periods ogwink

When I watch him ski it reminds me of my favorite surfers - all "soul surfers" on longboards, highly skilled, huge style, and most of all love of the sport/practice. This is what I seek from skiing. Pleasure to watch someone who embodies my ideal . . .

Dillon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Absolutely great thread. Loads of fun to watch those videos of his skiing. Makes me wanna get out and ski right now. ha

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Noodler thanks for putting it all in one place.

I am partial to episode #1

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have had some serious difficulty with some of the technical guys sticking their noses into the race world. Coming off as real know it alls, and screwing up the process. And before we jump all over the USST, PSIA.....I’m talking about foreign athletes. So that’s my bias. And I really am trying to lose it. Hearing it for almost 40 years makes it hard at times!

Marcus has zero bias about any of it, I believe and hear. Just loves skiing, and sharing a lot of it with anybody. Which I think is so great. Love watching him ski.

Like wrestling guys trying to teach a UFC fighter how to fight.

Sponsor