• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for this post, been watching his you tube videos all week and they are great!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a photographer friend who is with him in Engelberg, Switzerland right now, so bound to be some new stuff coming out soon.

I think he told me that they will also be filming WC skier Matthias Hargin.

I know Mattias met Marcus C in Engelberg a year or two ago — that would be awesome seeing them rip. Some great terrain in Haslital.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I know Mattias met Marcus C in Engelberg a year or two ago — that would be awesome seeing them rip. Some great terrain in Haslital.
Not sure if the meet-up is going to happen as Cam & Marcus were leaving for Zermatt at about the time Hargin arrived in Engleberg. Could be they are meeting up later, I didn't get details.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mattias didn’t race this weekend and he’s not going to Andorra. He’s thinking things over at the moment. Wouldn’t be super surprised if we see him on the FWT next season or in some other free ride context. Just know that he and MC met in E-berg last or if it was the season before. Have no other details or info. It is quite a ”Swede Hollow”.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
"I don't do any tricks really. Just kind of ski. Kind of like...your grandpa maybe, just a little bit faster? People have moved on, they're doing back flips and 360's . I'm still making Scot Schmidt turns."
- Marcus Caston

IMG_6130.jpg

Photo (cropped) Cam McLeod

IMG_6086.JPG

Caston on 210cm straight skis:
IMG_6131.jpg

Cover photo Cam McLeod

----------
“When I saw that cover, I was just over the moon. Like, holy sh#t,” says Caston. “I’ve put so much effort into this particular idea and I’ve been talking a big game. It feels really good to have something like that cover to show for it.”

The idea Caston speaks of is not skiing bumps in denim with 210-centimeter Thermo V20s. The real idea he’s put so much effort into, at its core, is making turning cool again. For years, the ski world has been mesmerized almost solely by massive backcountry cliff drops and triple flips in park, while the appreciation for skiing’s roots has seemingly vanished.

“Watching ski movies for a while, there was just nothing that I could relate to,” says Caston. “I would watch these kids and there always seemed to be more focus on one big line or one big trick that they were doing, rather than just the art of skiing or the the dynamic of the turn. And that’s something that I’ve always loved: the turn. Throwing a hip in, floating in the transition.”
------------
December 5, 2018
Ski Racing’s Unspoken Savior
By Connor W. Davis - Contributor
https://www.skiracing.com/premium/ski-racings-unspoken-savior

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just to correct myself, Hargin did indeed go to Andorra. I forgot about the team event. Anyways, would be fun to see him and Caston rip it up.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"I don't do any tricks really. Just kind of ski. Kind of like...your grandpa maybe, just a little bit faster? People have moved on, they're doing back flips and 360's . I'm still making Scot Schmidt turns."
- Marcus Caston

View attachment 69163
Photo (cropped) Cam McLeod
Caston on 210cm straight skis:
View attachment 69165
Cover photo Cam McLeod

----------
“When I saw that cover, I was just over the moon. Like, holy sh#t,” says Caston. “I’ve put so much effort into this particular idea and I’ve been talking a big game. It feels really good to have something like that cover to show for it.”

The idea Caston speaks of is not skiing bumps in denim with 210-centimeter Thermo V20s. The real idea he’s put so much effort into, at its core, is making turning cool again. For years, the ski world has been mesmerized almost solely by massive backcountry cliff drops and triple flips in park, while the appreciation for skiing’s roots has seemingly vanished.

“Watching ski movies for a while, there was just nothing that I could relate to,” says Caston. “I would watch these kids and there always seemed to be more focus on one big line or one big trick that they were doing, rather than just the art of skiing or the the dynamic of the turn. And that’s something that I’ve always loved: the turn. Throwing a hip in, floating in the transition.”
------------
December 5, 2018
Ski Racing’s Unspoken Savior
By Connor W. Davis - Contributor
https://www.skiracing.com/premium/ski-racings-unspoken-savior
He's spot on. :golfclap:
When I see people straight lining, especially in powder, well :huh:. Truthfully, any straight lining makes me think that.

Marcus Caston-making turning cool again (we can hope.)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just to correct myself, Hargin did indeed go to Andorra. I forgot about the team event. Anyways, would be fun to see him and Caston rip it up.

Hargin is now in Chamonix with Caston, Cam & others...

May have to go see the Warren Miller movie next Fall.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Saw that Muhrer commented: "golden years". Let me refrase: "The winter of their life".

James

Out There
Instructor

I'm thinking they skinned up Les Grand Montets from where the upper tram burned out. Then went to the Argentiere refuge. Which is large. But, I have no idea.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6137.JPG

“It was up here [Mt Hood] that summer, skiing the Zig Zag glacier in perfect corn conditions with a great friend, that I remembered what skiing was about for me,” said Caston. “It’s not all about training super hard and trying to beat everybody in the world.”

It was about fun. He had worked so hard for so many years trying to be the best that he had completely forgotten why he skied in the first place. It was fun.
Keeping it Hood: How a Pro Racer Rediscovered His Passion for Skiing
July 2017

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

Photo: Jay Dash

"I say the three most important things for skiing are. Balance, rhythm, creative expression. So the first two are technical. And creative expression? That's personal, that's up to you, and no two people are going to do it the same way. It's like an extension of your inner self that you can't explain."

IMG_6135.JPG

"Just like my dad used to tell me. No shitty snow...just shitty skiers."​

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Yes, +1 to that - I really like Marcus' skiing, just followed on Instagram and checked out all those videos. What I love about it is - he makes freeskiing look accessible to me as an aspiring expert who is at an age where I shouldn't be leaving the ground for long distances or time periods ogwink

When I watch him ski it reminds me of my favorite surfers - all "soul surfers" on longboards, highly skilled, huge style, and most of all love of the sport/practice. This is what I seek from skiing. Pleasure to watch someone who embodies my ideal . . .

Agreed, Marcus Caston has a surfer's approach to the mountain where personal expression is more valued than perfect technique. I would take exception to the longboard reference though, I see Marcus as more of a Larry Bertleman type surfer / skier: strong, super flexible, super low center of gravity with an exceptional (even among his peers) sense of balance. The longboard dictated more drawn out lines and the opportunity for "posing" for style points. That got a bit old after a while for me. The shortboards swept all that away and replaced posing with dynamic turns in the critical sections of the wave. I think that really expanded the field for a more creative approach.

Marcus would have been an excellent surfer in another reality.

James

Out There
Instructor
What I love most is he's such a throwback. With that mustache, he looks like he just stepped out of Boogie Nights. Plaid shirt half unbuttoned, denim vest, some kind of gold chain thing going, who does he think he is?
It's hilarious.
Then ripping corn at 50mph...
Slash, burn and arc.

Totally thought of Boogie Nights, but it's a combo of Dirk Diggler and Burt Reynolds from the 70/80's.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How did I miss this thread?! Awesome sauce. Return of the turn? That's what saved me from becoming a bitter, jaded powder snob (thank you to modern ski shapes and related tech for making bluebird groomers NEARLY as fun as a pow day).

My favorite part of this thread is the short clip he posted of himself skiing "slowly" in bumps.....

Faster than I could at my best!

Sponsor

Staff online