• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I saw something inspirational today

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was riding a lift today and saw an older gentleman skiing with a bib on that notified others he was blind. He had a guide with a “guide” bib skiing right behind him as well calling out instructions.

Just to be clear, I am a push over for chick-flicks.... But this brought a tear to my eye, I was really touched by this level of commitment to be out skiing, and skiing on a blue run as well.

I felt privileged to see him.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I used to train alongside some athletes from the National Sports Center for the Disabled at Winter Park. There were a lot of inspiring people, but they had a couple of blind athletes who raced. They would be linked by headset radio with the guide who would voice guide them through the course at top speed. Amazing.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Similar experience last weekend, blind guy with a vest saying (BLIND) following a fellow down a black run at Elk Mountain. He did everything the fellow in front of him did, maybe 10 yards behind. I assume he did by sound or maybe he wasn’t completely blind. In any case he skied very well and was apparent it wasn’t his first clambake. Very impressed for sure

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Our adaptive program lockerroom at my mountain is right next to the instructor locker room so we interact with their team every day. In addition to coming across each other on the mountain with our respective students. The students and the adaptive instructors inspire me every day.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm impressed with people who volunteer for those types of things rather than just doing a charity ride or such. The charity events are important but a 1 on 1 interaction with real disadvantaged people is a different level of commitment.

My barber shop does free haircuts for any active duty service member which is cool. Today I went in there and this really rough looking homeless guy is getting a free hair cut. Bill Jr the barber, who has had his own substance abuse issues, cleaned the guy up, took him outside and had a close up conversation with him. With his hand on the back of the guy's head, he delivered what I assume were words of encouragement. I didn't mind waiting.

Billy Jr is also a skier so instead of talking baseball or politics we talk about D5 avalanches in Summit County.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My Dad picked up a gig as a security guard for a bank in his late 70's. No gun. One day outside the bank in Lodi, Ca, a guy swiped a womans deposit bag. My Dad went after him and ended up getting a pretty bad beating. His orbital bone was broken among other things and he lost sight in his "good" eye. Blind from then on he skied with a guide for a few years, mostly at Sugar Bowl.

Thanks to all those who give of their time to help the disadvantaged.

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
I’d encourage anyone interested to stop by the adaptive program at your local hill and look into volunteering or ask to spend a couple hours shadowing a lesson.
I’ve been involved with an adaptive program on different levels for the past 24 years and it’s been a great part of my life. You can meet some amazing people and I bet as much as you teach the students about skiing you’ll learn twice as much from them and their life experiences. If you’re lucky and have a strong program you can learn a lot about skiing too.
I personally went from being an intermediate skier to having PSIA level 3 in multiple disciplines through the training program at my adaptive program.

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
there is a sit skier here that hits the jumps in the park, it always amazes me. interesting how people with disabilities often seem less disabled than those without if you look at what they do in life.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Years ago had a couple of blind students over a few weeks. After 50+ years thinking about those lessons still put a smile on my face.

Once trust was gained they were amazing; with clear direction they would just accomplish it. Remember that static exercises for body position very effective, you could see them visualize.
If you get the chance, get involved.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Read this book.

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?as...linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_CJTMCbBDVE18R

It is absolutely fascinating not only for its story about a remarkable man and blind ski champion, but also for what happens when one regains the vision they lost as an infant.

A truly amazing book.
He is an amazing and very determined man. We live in the same town (at least I think he still lives here, not sure), and I have had the pleasure of meeting him. His son, Carson May, died in an avalanche at Sugar Bowl in 2016, and Mike became involved in developing technology to assist in the early hours of search and rescue, after being frustrated by cell phone company privacy requirements slowing the search for his son.

I haven't read the book, but I would like to.

Sponsor

Staff online