• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I need some advice : bindings on Atomic Redster S9 19/20

RensVDW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,

I tested the Atomic Redster S9 ski last season and I'm planning on buying them.

I see a difference in bindings from Atomic: X12 TL GW and X14 TL GW.
The website from Atomic gives a quite similar explanation for both of the bindings, so that doesn't make me much smarter in this subject...

What do you guys think is the big difference between the two, is there one of the two to "go" for, or are they as similar as Atomic says ?

If it makes any sense for your opinions in this matter: i'm a "pretty" advanced skier, started when I was 4 and I am 26yrs old right now and I ski two weeks every year.

Thanks in advance!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The X12 has a 4-12 DIN range, the X14 has a 6-14 range. Depending on your hight and weight and style (I would say Type 2), you will need a DIN between 6 and 9, roughly (depending on body type and BSL around 7-8.5 I think). The DIN you actually ski should be in the middle of the range of the binding (definately NOT on the extreme of the binding). Going with that, I would go for the X12 binding.

Edit: Ik zie nu dat ik dit ook gewoon in het Nederlands had kunnen opschrijven haha.

TS
RensVDW

RensVDW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The X12 has a 4-12 DIN range, the X14 has a 6-14 range. Depending on your hight and weight and style (I would say Type 2), you will need a DIN between 6 and 9, roughly (depending on body type and BSL around 7-8.5 I think). The DIN you actually ski should be in the middle of the range of the binding (definately NOT on the extreme of the binding). Going with that, I would go for the X12 binding.

Edit: Ik zie nu dat ik dit ook gewoon in het Nederlands had kunnen opschrijven haha.

Bedankt Cheizz !

Heb je ook een mening over de ski zelf ?
Altijd interessant om iets van een ander te horen :).

EDIT: ik kan ze nu kopen voor 499€ , denk je dat prijzen nog zullen zakken of is dit al een spotprijs ? (In skigebied waar ik ze testte, kostten ze 900€)

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
De prijzen zakken misschien nog iets, maar veel zal dat niet zijn. 499 lijkt me een mooie prijs voor deze ski.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For any other readers benefit... here's the Google translate version of the above:

==============
Thanks Cheizz!

Do you also have an opinion about the ski itself?
Always interesting to hear from someone else :).

EDIT: I can buy them now for 499 €, do you think prices will drop or is this already a bargain price? (In ski area where I tested them, they cost 900 €)
==============
Yes I do. My review is here: https://gigiski.com/review-atomic-redster-s9/
==============
I can buy them now for 499 €, do you think prices will drop or is this already a bargain price? (In ski area where I tested them, they cost 900 €) Thanks again, and good review btw!
==============
The prices may drop slightly, but that will not be much. 499 seems a nice price for this ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For any other readers benefit... here's the Google translate version of the above:

==============
Thanks Cheizz!

Do you also have an opinion about the ski itself?
Always interesting to hear from someone else :).

EDIT: I can buy them now for 499 €, do you think prices will drop or is this already a bargain price? (In ski area where I tested them, they cost 900 €)
==============
Yes I do. My review is here: https://gigiski.com/review-atomic-redster-s9/
==============
I can buy them now for 499 €, do you think prices will drop or is this already a bargain price? (In ski area where I tested them, they cost 900 €) Thanks again, and good review btw!
==============
The prices may drop slightly, but that will not be much. 499 seems a nice price for this ski.

Cheizz's review on Gigiski, auto-translated by Google into English, is priceless. So close, yet not quite there. My favorite:

"the ski is just a bit seedless I think"

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cheizz's review on Gigiski, auto-translated by Google into English, is priceless. So close, yet not quite there. My favorite:

"the ski is just a bit seedless I think"

Definitely priceless.

I was on a pair of new Atomic S9 FIS SL early 18/19 season at Stratton. Got on a chair with a guy with a pair of the consumer S9 SL (one with the curtain rod). He proceeded to tell me how wondrous and powerful his new skis feel. Then he looked down to my skis and asked which model were those. My answer was "just a random pair I pulled off the rack that morning." That made his day.
Later I stopped by the local Atomic dealer and noticed the curtain rod SL was the only Atomic SL on display. I asked Gary (owner) why aren't the FIS SL on display. I knew (and seen) he has a closet full downstairs. He looked at me disapprovingly and said, "I knew you for 40+ years...". I nodded my head and smiled. We understand each other perfectly.

Thanks to @Cheizz . I now have a more appropriate response to the random dude. "The seeded variety." :roflmao:
As in (my seeds are bigger than your seeds.) :duck: Of course the second part is not to be said out loud.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Definitely priceless.

I was on a pair of new Atomic S9 FIS SL early 18/19 season at Stratton. Got on a chair with a guy with a pair of the consumer S9 SL (one with the curtain rod). He proceeded to tell me how wondrous and powerful his new skis feel. Then he looked down to my skis and asked which model were those. My answer was "just a random pair I pulled off the rack that morning." That made his day.
Later I stopped by the local Atomic dealer and noticed the curtain rod SL was the only Atomic SL on display. I asked Gary (owner) why aren't the FIS SL on display. I knew (and seen) he has a closet full downstairs. He looked at me disapprovingly and said, "I knew you for 40+ years...". I nodded my head and smiled. We understand each other perfectly.

Thanks to @Cheizz . I now have a more appropriate response to the random dude. "The seeded variety." :roflmao:
As in (my seeds are bigger than your seeds.) :duck: Of course the second part is not to be said out loud.
I will share an embarrassing [for a forum of the most informed and knowledgeable skiers around] story that relates. I was in Soelden, Austria in January, and as I tend to do, I found myself checking out the ski shop selection. I was looking at an Atomic Redster, and one ski had a price topping 1,000 euros. The other ski did not have a label, so I was looking it over and I saw what looked like a base that was totally scratched up. So I asked the shop guy, Are these used skis? And he said, No, actually those are new FIS skis, with the factory wax we remove to sell to you! :facepalm:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
"Seedless" makes sense in the Dutch sentence. It actually is "pitloos". "-loos" means "less". But "pit" can be translated as "seed" (as in: the seed of a fruit), which Google Translate has done. But it also means "core", "heart", "umph", "pizass". That last one is what I meant in the review.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Back on Rens point...
When I am putting together a new setup, I think first about the plate I want to mount the clamps on rather than the other way around.
Unless it's flat mount fat skis.
I think plates can affect a skis performance mort than folks realize.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Seedless" makes sense in the Dutch sentence. It actually is "pitloos". "-loos" means "less". But "pit" can be translated as "seed" (as in: the seed of a fruit), which Google Translate has done. But it also means "core", "heart", "umph", "pizass". That last one is what I meant in the review.
Funny, that's exactly what I figured you meant.

I like "seedless", though.

Sponsor

Staff online