• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I need a new pair of short turn carving skis 61 yo 5'8 145 lbs

Paulie

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Advanced to expert male 61 yo skier. Looking for a short turn carver without all the effort of a SL race ski. I had a pair of Fischer Race SC I believe a few years back which were fun but eventially ended up with patellar tendinitis, and went to easier skiing Rossi E88 which i still ski but miss cranking smaller turns. Is there a good short carver that's still nimble and not as demanding as a race ski I should go to? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Something in the low to mid 70 cm width?

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem is that the forces produced by cranking tight radius, carved turns are related to the physics of such turns not to the specific ski a good skier might use to make them. Some skis, such as slalom skis, obviously are more suited to making small carved turns but the forces, assuming the same turn, are the same regardless of what ski you’re on. Of course some skis can’t produce such turns at all!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider Head iRallys or V8s. Rallys are a bit more demanding, V8s turn very well but are more forgiving.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
maybe try some old stock Rossi elite ST ti r 12m ( haven't skied the new model )
IMHO, the sweet spot is the whole ski
I found one of the easiest & fun ski's to ski
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 11.26.11 AM.png

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what you seek exists, the white outs maybe perfect, I am not familiar with them. The two I have personally skied and would recommend are:

Fischer RC4 Curve XXX in 171 cm. There are several models, just THE CURVE or now called Curve Booster and the GT model is too stiff, the DTX or the Curve Ti are progressively softer and what you should consider. I own the DTX and I like it as an all around narrow carver. The Ti is a little softer and a little shorter turn radius. I think the Ti is what you want.

The Rossi hero Elite Plus Ti (or something) is a short turn softer ski. I didn't like for me, too soft, but it might work for you. It is fairly heavy, compared the the Fischer Curve.

The Head iRally is a good one to look at also.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang, opinions are a dime a dozen...but I'm 66, 155 ish pounds...old dogger who really like snappy tight fall line turns and these 177 K2 iKonic 78 ti...are working a treat for me. Also reminding all that I'm on a total knee replacement on the left side.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Despite your avoidance of Race SL skis, consider a set on the softer side. The biggest difference for a race set is predictability and smoothness.

Contact @ScotsSkier and see what he has. Also listen to his advise.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Blossom White Out in 176 (16/17 version r 15; same radius still), but don't recommend it in that length for your purposes, unless you want a less tight turn standard. It's an "in between" sl and gs turning ski (though closer to slalom), with some twists. You can make is ski tighter, but with more effort(?).

I like the ski very much, and it is good at fall line turns at any speed (with upper body separation) as a versatile carver. Its tip is a relatively wide shovel that makes it unusually good in bumps on a crud day, as well as on groomers. Still, this is probably not the ski you are looking for, at least in this length. At 170, maybe, never tried that length (r 14).

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I can second what @Andy Mink said. I own the Rallys (in addition to two other pair of Head skis). They will make carving turns as quick as you want them to, but are also very stable at speed. They have been a Pugski favorite for quite some time. I suggest that you check out the 2018 and 2019 reviews.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had my Volkl Racetiger SC Uvo's for several years now, and I have to say it is one of my favourite carving skis. 72 waist, 15m at 170. It is stable at speed (I think the UVO gadget works) and can carve turns of many shapes and sizes. Holds a nice line on the ice , and at the same time is a very easygoing ski. The tips are a nice softness which make it easy to initiate turns. Great in the bumps. It is my go to ski when I am on a course or in session. These skis will make you look good!! My Stockli SX's are better on the ice, and can rip some nice arcs, but they are a lot more demanding and you totally have to be paying attention.
Near the end of the season I picked up some Head SS ISpeed from ARL67 , which are also a very nice easy turning ski. Have only been out on them several times, but they seem to be an excellent ski. You can go fast and furious in the morning in the morning frozen corduroy, but in the soft piles of the afternoon, not so much. 68 waist 14m at 170

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the "not quite race ski" department, how about those new DPS Cassiar 79 trainers?

I'm big-ish, old-ish, and no longer always fast-ish. I let my slaloms go because they only came alive at higher speeds AND they were lousy in soft spring crud. Too trenchy.

The trainers seem to address both of these concerns.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-dps-cassiar-79-the-trainer.8250/

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So, I'm a Rossi girl. I love my Hero ST's abet...the Carbon version. Alas they are not made anymore. I'm not impressed with the MT and will be selling mine in the fall. Not sure what's coming up for next year. But Dynastar is a sister company and making some really good stuff. This year there was a equal to the ST Ti in Dynastar, but I'm not sure of the model name.

So to add some fuel to the discussion...I just picked up a pair of Nordica Dobermann SLC's at the sample sale. The rep had brought them in for his wife (CSIA 3), but she decided that she liked her skis from last year....Let you know in November if I like them....

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have these on my list of skis to test in the Oz season.

The carbon version of the Volkl RaceTiger SC. Lighter, less intense. McGlashan reckons this is a good ski for older folk (and other skiers with less leg strength) who still want good performance and edge grip. His review worth a listen - he's describing a ski that seems to fit your criteria.

Sponsor