• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I just can not drink this stuff.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just realized that my aversion to fireball whiskey could very well be tied to my avoidance of Goldschlager as they both have a cinnamon taste. See all this is like therapy ahaa that's why i don't like fireball :golfclap:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
"If I took all the money I spent on inebriates back in the day and stuck it in a mutual fund we'd have a million from that alone...." Not that I was a drunk but it did consume all the pocket change.
OMG yes. I'd be retired.

Mickeys big mouths. Even underage I wouldnt drink that for free.
Coors light. Seriously? Good tap water has more flavor.
Bud light. I guess it has its place. 19 year old girls need a beer to.

Sambuca or any other black licorice flavored drink. Had a bad night on it 34 years ago.
Cinnamon whiskey, see Bud Light. Might be OK in a hot apple cider, but not so much to spend money on it.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Blackberry brandy. But I was 15 at the time and also ate a stack of chocolate chip pancakes at Ihop to top it off. I don't think anyone over 15 should drink that anyway.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I heavily overdosed on tequila at a young age, the crappy Sauza. I haven't been able to even smell it since.
More recently, my neighbour gave me a bottle of Aguardiente . I haven't been able to drink it at all, let alone get schnockered. I haven't the heart to tell her its awful, but it is. The Cuban equivalent of shine.
aguardiente.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Peppermint Schnapps. Couldn't even chew peppermint gum for a while after that night.

When I was in college (back when the drinking age was 18) we usually went to a bar that had a little schnapps ritual. The bartender would come out on the floor with a bottle of peppermint schnapps, and if you tilted your head back he would pour a shot into your mouth from a couple feet up. But it was an event, not an every night thing, and he would only hit ten people or so. My roommate and I almost never were in the right place to get some. So of course that made us really, really want some. Eventually we got so frustrated that we bought a bottle, sat on the wall outside, and drank the whole thing.

After the bottle was gone, we walked and walked, with my roomie helping me. (The sandbagger must not have been taking full swigs.) Eventually, we were questioned by a policeman. He replied, "My pappy always told me that a roommate who had too much to drink is like a horse that's been rode hard. You have to walk him out before you put him back in the barn."

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
When I was in college (back when the drinking age was 18) we usually went to a bar that had a little schnapps ritual. The bartender would come out on the floor with a bottle of peppermint schnapps, and if you tilted your head back he would pour a shot into your mouth from a couple feet up. But it was an event, not an every night thing, and he would only hit ten people or so. My roommate and I almost never were in the right place to get some. So of course that made us really, really want some. Eventually we got so frustrated that we bought a bottle, sat on the wall outside, and drank the whole thing.

After the bottle was gone, we walked and walked, with my roomie helping me. (The sandbagger must not have been taking full swigs.) Eventually, we were questioned by a policeman. He replied, "My pappy always told me that a roommate who had too much to drink is like a horse that's been rode hard. You have to walk him out before you put him back in the barn."

How did you remember this?

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Mickeys big mouths.

Funny thing is back East we thought Mickeys were exotic and you poor saps thought Genesee was.

Now Genesee brews Samuel Adams and other larger craft type beers, showing it was the recipe that makes the difference. My theory is that our fathers' generation must have liked watery beer because they physically worked harder and needed the hydration and low alcohol content to drive.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I was averse to rye for a few years after getting sick on it too many times as a young teenager. However, after avoiding rye for about a few years I was tempted by some Alberta Springs "old tyme sipping whiskey", and discovered I didn't mind rye anymore. Now I don't have any aversions.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Jaegermeister, that stuff is just NASTY.
And Screwdrivers. And Cheez Its. Both were consumed on the same night in 1989. The next day, I found a squirrel eating the liquor-soaked "Cheez Its" that had been the contents of my stomach the night before. On the edge of a cliff at San Onofre State Beach in SoCal.
I have no idea how I survived college...

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Cheap wine - high school. It's pretty amazing how long you can keep puking after you thought you were done.

I'm not that crazy about PBR or other cheap beers either.

Yes, wine is really the last think you want a cheap drink of. If you want to party on the cheap? So many options where you can buy something decent for little money. A bad wine will completely F you up.

What, how do I know?

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The local Austrian schnapps.... Great for desinfecting open wounds though ogwink
I have tried some of that local stuff years ago when I was on vacation. Not too bad, but I did have only a small amount.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Funny thing is back East we thought Mickeys were exotic and you poor saps thought Genesee was.

Now Genesee brews Samuel Adams and other larger craft type beers, showing it was the recipe that makes the difference.
I grew up in NEPA Genny and Genny cream ale were staples, Mickys was still nasty. Along with Shlitz, Shmitz, and Stegmaier. Exotic was Rolling Rock. I went out west and Olympia was the Genny of WA, and Raaaaaineeeeeeerrrrr beeeer was the cheap cousin. I came back on leave and people were sucking down Oly in NEPA like it was mana from heaven. SO its not only recipe, its some marketing and a taste of the exotic, even a bad exotic.

Stegmaier went under and was reopened as the Lion Brewery and made some decent stuff at the begging of the craft brew craze.
My theory is that our fathers' generation must have liked watery beer because they physically worked harder and needed the hydration and low alcohol content to drive.
Beer used to be good, then prohibition came around and the vats were destroyed. Once it was repealed, the beer makers tried to bring in the persons who made up the temperance union (women) and the trend was to a lighter less harsh brew. My wife drinks Black Butte Porter, so go figure. Then to save money they added rice and whatever to the brew to the point that surfactant was needed to produce a head because there were few natural sugars in the beer. Thats where Butwieser comes from.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Personally, I like Jaeger and dark beers (stouts, porters, that sort of thing). But... (repeat after me...) :beercheer:

I will never EVER drink Wild Turkey ever again for as long as I live. Probably no tequila either, but that's another story....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the gin front:

I used to have a boss who was a high-functioning alcoholic. (During those years he never drank during work hours, and was a very effective executive. ) So he and a couple of his inner circle flew from Boston to Japan for a business meeting. This was in the days before laptop computers, back when plane trips during the daytime were mini-vacations. The thing is, they flew first class. Fourteen, maybe eighteen, hours of no responsibilities and free drinks.

I wasn't there, so my evidence for a world of hurt is circumstantial. But before that trip he mostly drank gin. Afterwards he was exclusively a vodka drinker.

Sponsor

Staff online