• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I hope your experience flying Southwest with skis was better

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if it wasn't clear skis sustain no damage in both incidents. Pictures I posted is of two different plastic tubes. 1 is my old one sustained some compression and punched holes. Second is sporttube, which is my new one sustained deep through cut about 10 inches long

If the skis were fine, didn’t the sport tubes do their job? You won’t see dents or compressions on a soft bag, but I’m sure they get thrown around plenty.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
You won’t see dents or compressions on a soft bag, but I’m sure they get thrown around plenty.

I've watched the baggage handlers at my local airport dropping ski bags on the ground from the back of a little flatbed truck. It's hard to watch when your skis are fairly new. I have to keep reminding myself that they can handle the impact.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can tell you from experience that skis can handle being ejected from the ski rack on I-70 at about 60mph and cartwheeling/sliding along the road surface.

I80 must be harder on skis. One of mine was beyond salvage. Darn creeps that unhooked the skis off the rack but didn't steal them - I should have preflighted better. I knew street parking outside the Cow Palace during the Sport and Boat show was risky...

Airlines have damaged my waterskis too many times. I always try to arrive early enough for high stakes tournaments to wait out the delays or repair as needed. Got quite a few trips out of my hard case before they cracked it.

TSA messes with the padding and efficient packing. I now strap pipe insulation directly to the ski which helps a lot.

I like to bring a fancy bottle back from overseas trips. One was stolen, a couple broke. Soils the dirty clothes so I never carry with me on the way there.

Travel hazards.

Eric

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
If the skis were fine, didn’t the sport tubes do their job? You won’t see dents or compressions on a soft bag, but I’m sure they get thrown around plenty.

Yes you are correct sporttube did it job. However I do believe damaged received TWICE is excessive… It's a lot more than just compressions

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a reason those guys are referred to in the business as "Bag Smashers" :roflmao:

That old American Tourister commercial with the gorillas was not a joke.

Sponsor

Staff online