• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I hope your experience flying Southwest with skis was better

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
when traveling West I always take my skis and always use plastic case. Over the years I travel with Southwest only twice and twice my plastic case for the skis was destroyed. While no damage to the skis plastic case took the beating.

I replace it once. After first incident and looks like I have to replace it again

Not to mention on return flight ski box was not on my plane and show up only 10 hours later. Lucky me it happened on return flight.

Attachments

• DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02403.JPG
    DSC02403.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 146
TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
first time I did not make the claim. This time I did and hope they will replace/cover damage.… Not enough time yet went by for corporate to respond

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
when traveling West I always take my skis and always use plastic case. Over the years I travel with Southwest only twice and twice my plastic case for the skis was destroyed. While no damage to the skis plastic case took the beating.

I replace it once. After first incident and looks like I have to replace it again

Not to mention on return flight ski box was not on my plane and show up only 10 hours later. Lucky me it happened on return flight.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You posted pics of the sporttube, but not the skis. How did the skis fare?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I know in Toronto at Pearson, all the groundwork, or most of it, is subcontracted to Hudson Aviation or SwissService..so the airline doesn't actually touch the baggage.. I was at a talk with the CEO of Pearson and they don't seem to be overly concerned about these things..kinda the only airport in town syndrome.. :huh:

Having said that, this is the arrivals lounge now at Pearson...
mcdavid-airport.png

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given that my Sportube has actually been run over by a car and not sustained any permanent damage (it had a dent for two weeks that went away) that really is impressive damage.

TS
mishka

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
if it wasn't clear skis sustain no damage in both incidents. Pictures I posted is of two different plastic tubes. 1 is my old one sustained some compression and punched holes. Second is sporttube, which is my new one sustained deep through cut about 10 inches long

James

Out There
Instructor
What cities?
I've had issue with Den to Lga.
A heel piece and the tail of the ski was ground down as if with a belt sander. Plus the bag, and melted the vest around the ski. Seemed like a high speed drag on the tarmac.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We’ve only ever lost a set of wheels somehow - it had them when we handed the tube over to the airline, but they were gone by the time we reached the other end. That was thanks to United.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a reason those guys are referred to in the business as "Bag Smashers" :roflmao:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use a soft bag and just wrap my skis in jackets/clothes, never had issues. The conveyors werent meant for big ski bags, they need to have a little give is my thought.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No issues carrying my our skis in soft padded bags. I learned my lesson with my hard golf travel bag several years ago then went to a soft padded bag there too. Knock on wood, no damage since then.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A heel piece and the tail of the ski was ground down as if with a belt sander. Plus the bag, and melted the vest around the ski. Seemed like a high speed drag on the tarmac.

I had the exact same experience over 20 years ago.

The edges of the ski got so hot that they turned blue!

Delta unhesitatingly purchased me a new set of skis, full retail, at one of the Jackson Hole slopeside shops, so I didn't miss a single turn.

But that was back when flying was fun, and I was an unobtainium-level frequent flyer.

Sponsor

Staff online