I hope your experience flying Southwest with skis was better

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by mishka, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Pequenita

Pequenita Out on the slopes Skier

If the skis were fine, didn’t the sport tubes do their job? You won’t see dents or compressions on a soft bag, but I’m sure they get thrown around plenty.

2. Jacob

Jacob CerebralVortex Skier

I've watched the baggage handlers at my local airport dropping ski bags on the ground from the back of a little flatbed truck. It's hard to watch when your skis are fairly new. I have to keep reminding myself that they can handle the impact.

3. pchewn

pchewn Out on the slopes Skier

I can tell you from experience that skis can handle being ejected from the ski rack on I-70 at about 60mph and cartwheeling/sliding along the road surface.

ScotsSkier, James and Steve like this.
  4. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Mounted on the line?

givethepigeye and headybrew like this.
  5. givethepigeye

givethepigeye Really, just Rob will do Skier

it's physics

6. Eleeski

Eleeski Out on the slopes Skier

I80 must be harder on skis. One of mine was beyond salvage. Darn creeps that unhooked the skis off the rack but didn't steal them - I should have preflighted better. I knew street parking outside the Cow Palace during the Sport and Boat show was risky...

Airlines have damaged my waterskis too many times. I always try to arrive early enough for high stakes tournaments to wait out the delays or repair as needed. Got quite a few trips out of my hard case before they cracked it.

TSA messes with the padding and efficient packing. I now strap pipe insulation directly to the ski which helps a lot.

I like to bring a fancy bottle back from overseas trips. One was stolen, a couple broke. Soils the dirty clothes so I never carry with me on the way there.

Travel hazards.

Eric

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    mishka

mishka Putting on skis Industry Insider

Yes you are correct sporttube did it job. However I do believe damaged received TWICE is excessive… It's a lot more than just compressions

8. Thread Starter
    TS
    mishka

mishka Putting on skis Industry Insider

follow-up

after e-mailing back and forth on complaint Southwest will pay for damages enough to buy new sportube when time is come

AltaFan and pete like this.
  9. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Booting up Skier

That old American Tourister commercial with the gorillas was not a joke.