• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Ah, but how much will you miss it?

Comparative value is a funny thing. If I had saved the money I spent on my upper-middle market Raleigh in '79, I would have (just barely) enough for a lower-middle market bike today.

Luxury/lust goods prices just about always rise faster than interest rates. If one can actually afford something one is lusting after, then I say one should buy it. When that first item shows up at the thrift store/craigslist/bringatrailer, the new lust items will be priced beyond one's savings on not buying the first item.
You've been telling your wife that stuff for years to justify your habits.

Women's clothes in particular never go up in value.

James

Out There
Instructor
First time I’ve heard a justification for “investing in clothes”.

“I’ve been tearing up money since my first Holy Communion”

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
20191106_144305.png

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree it’s all relative but I’ve always been about the spending the extra $ to support and increase performance. What I always think is crazy is the non-sport participants spending the money on these things. What makes me shake my head when I see a person who never steps on a basketball court walking down the sidewalk in expensive bb shoes, the recreational bike rider going on their 1 mile ride in expensive gear and the non-skier who spends zero time in poor weather conditions buying the expensive ski jacket. You can afford it AND use it, then I get it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bomber came to our ski club meeting a couple of years ago. They were showing off their very expensive skis and also had some jackets for $1,800.

They were wasting their time and ours.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
:cool::micdrop:

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    106.5 KB · Views: 6

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ski softgoods more so than skis themselves are an aspirational purchase with plenty of takers. You only have to note the number of ruch kids in Tipsy Elves $250 fartbags at any upmarket US resort to note that "look at me" and marketing yourself as fun at après trumps functionality.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hey I like great ski gear as much as the next guy, but I am perfectly happy wearing last season style for a fraction the price of this seasons. I will pay for functionality and comfort in a heartbeat but only at prices that make sense. I would rather spend my money to actually ski as opposed to just buying ski gear

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Go into just about any shop or sporting goods store and you will see more soft goods than hard goods. It is one of my pet peeves to see the guy that can bearly put his boots on, zip up the high fashion ski clothes and walk around the bar or cafeteria.