• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Now I know there’s a sucker born every minute but this is getting ridiculous!
I just received an email from Mammut about their new Sota skiwear line, the jacket is
$1300 and the pants are $900.
I’m not exactly a penny pincher but this is crazy.
$2200 for a waterproof ski kit!

What am I missing???

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Ha Ha Ha! A sucker and his money. Makes the super-overpriced $800 Spyder coat I've been lusting after seem reasonable. There is some crazy stuff out there. Problem is, people are buying it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just received an email from Mammut about their new Sota skiwear line, the jacket is

What am I missing???
IF there are people willing to spend it, even if that person is not you or I, what is the problem? Go to a high end liquor store and start pricing premium brands, a 750ml bottle of bourbon at $600+ (Don't even get started on the wines) makes these kits look darn reasonable. I am sorry, with $220 daily tickets....how is a $2200 jacket/pant combo out of line?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$1.3K for a jacket?
Won't even get you half way to one of this. Some of them folks barely even ski.

Screenshot (305).png

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

What am I missing???

Price levels exist everywhere. You can spend $100 a night on a hotel room or $1,000. You can spend $20,000 on a new car or you can spend $200,000. You can buy a bottle of wine for $20 or for $200.

$1,300 for a ski jacket does not seem as unreasonable as the $900 for the ski pants. While comparable brands such as Kjus, Fusalp, Bogner, or even Arcteryx, charge the same or even more for their ski jackets, their ski pants tend to cost much less.

I guess the question is whether Mammut is comparable to those other brands when it comes to quality, design, customer service, durability, comfort, warranty,....

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
VIST had a line of really expensive clothing.

Mountain Force?
This is nothing new.
I just gave away a Phenix jacket from the late 90's that was $800 new. I paid $40 for it several years ago from the orig owner. Weighs a ton.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Your money if you buy it.

Ah, but how much will you miss it?

Comparative value is a funny thing. If I had saved the money I spent on my upper-middle market Raleigh in '79, I would have (just barely) enough for a lower-middle market bike today.

Luxury/lust goods prices just about always rise faster than interest rates. If one can actually afford something one is lusting after, then I say one should buy it. When that first item shows up at the thrift store/craigslist/bringatrailer, the new lust items will be priced beyond one's savings on not buying the first item.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some gear is expensive for reasons that make a lot of sense. Like the membrane, licensing fees, and super durable face fabric of a Beta SV make it a fairly competitive MSRP.

But this is weird. They tout the extra breathability of a warp knit, but they still list 10k/10k stats on the product page. That kind of performance deserves like a $150 price point.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
As always, the cost of an item is relative to one's disposable income and their priorities.

Many people can't imagine spending four figures on a bicycle; many others casually drop five figures. The price of Renoun's, Stockli's, Kastle's, etc. comes up frequently as well (and yes, I realize there are brands that make those look "cheap").

Every activity has products that stretch credibility; can they really be that much better? Generally "no" -- i.e., I'd be just as slow on a road bike that was half the cost of mine, I'd probably ski exactly the same way on a non-Stockli -- but I enjoy them, I earned the money to pay for it, so... Who cares?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I always ask the sales person something like "What does the $2X one do that the $X one won't do?" The answer is almost always all the justification I need to buy the $X one.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I always wait until they go on clearance and buy over the summer :)

Sponsor