• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a day at Lake Tahoe, what should I do? First timer

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As the title states I'll have a day to spend at Lake Tahoe in a month or so. I want to get a feel for the area and resorts and maybe drive a lap around the lake. For people in the area, how would you spend the day to get a feel for it?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not a local but have been a seasonal local spent a fair amount of wintertime there over 20 years . I'd say depends where you are starting from and assuming you're still in holiday season your strategy for avoiding traffic and parking hotspots. I guess that would mean do your lap of the lake very early or late so you can get parked at Emerald Bay, the viewpoint near Sand Beach etc. From SLT over Kingsbury to Minden and back up 88 to Kirkwood would be a good way of avoiding the worst of SLT traffic as well as a beautiful drive up Hope Valley. I'd say hiking near Echo Lake or the top of Mt Rose highway are kinda less touristy.

Locals will have month specific beta including where to go for best fish tacoes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As the title states I'll have a day to spend at Lake Tahoe in a month or so. I want to get a feel for the area and resorts and maybe drive a lap around the lake. For people in the area, how would you spend the day to get a feel for it?
A drive around the lake is a great idea. I will add, a trip over 431 from Reno, past Mt. Rose and Sky Tavern is a great drive to add. And far as hikes, Shirley Canyon at Palisades is fun. Are you coming in from the Reno side or Sac side? Food, Zano's in Truckee has a killer roast beef sandwich. Some great AYCE sushi places in Reno.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A drive around the lake is a great idea. I will add, a trip over 431 from Reno, past Mt. Rose and Sky Tavern is a great drive to add. And far as hikes, Shirley Canyon at Palisades is fun. Are you coming in from the Reno side or Sac side? Food, Zano's in Truckee has a killer roast beef sandwich. Some great AYCE sushi places in Reno.
Thank you, I was hoping you or Tricia would comment. We are going to be in Reno for the Air Races so heading over from there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you, I was hoping you or Tricia would comment. We are going to be in Reno for the Air Races so heading over from there.
When we get closer, shoot us a message.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

When we get closer, shoot us a message.
I'm sure we'll be around. Definitley shoot us a message.
There are some highlights you would really enjoy
Heck we may be golfing at Sierra Sage while the air races are happening. We've been watching some of the pilots practice while golfing there.
You can see where we golf in red lines from my strava tracking and Stead Airport at the top of the screen shot.
Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 8.18.54 AM.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Emerald Bay area is incredibly scenic, although busy. There is a cool waterfall right by the highway.

If you go up to Truckee, a little detour on the old highway to Donner Pass is worthy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh they're doing the air race again? That's such an exciting event! I heard they stopped doing it for some years.

Since I moved here in 2010 I've never known a year without the air races(except the covid year)
However, this will be the final year for the Reno Air races.

Last edited:
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We ended up doing a great tour of the lake and saw most of the ski areas in person. I will be back this winter. Mt. Rose and Kirkwood are my vibe. We were also a few hundred yards from the crash at the air races today watching from the valley of speed, horrible stuff.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We ended up doing a great tour of the lake and saw most of the ski areas in person. I will be back this winter. Mt. Rose and Kirkwood are my vibe. We were also a few hundred yards from the crash at the air races today watching from the valley of speed, horrible stuff.
Sorry we missed your visit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry we're in Utah, but we saw the news about the crash. So terribly sad.
Lets touch base this winter.

Sponsor

Staff online