• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
image.jpeg

We need an I 70 sucks thread. It could be a place for updates, traffic conditions, and just a place to vent.
I would've thought the traffic would be relatively light this afternoon, with the heaviest traffic yesterday afternoon and this morning. Wrong!

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Ug. Yeah I've made the mistake of thinking the traffic would be relatively light on ____________ because _________. plenty of times. Never seems to work out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely glad I came up to Steamboat via RMNP yesterday! Can't do that in the winter though...

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get from Golden to Floyd Hill!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Any more whenever I drive up to Breck traffic just crawls between Idaho Springs and the tunnel.

IMG_0950.JPG

...or driving back.

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where is everyone going? Aint no powder up there.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Where is everyone going? Aint no powder up there.

The mountains? :D

It's low fuel prices. Everybody with wheels is currently in Colorado. Been that way all summer. We were going to go up, but I decided that this would be more fun than Labor Day traffic.

image.jpeg

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had backups for miles getting out of Phoenix headed for the mountains the last two days. Saw a few burned up cars on the news, typical carnage. Monday will be a mass exodus of RVs coming back down out of the mountains.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You guys should see I-80 from Reno to San Francisco - or really anywhere after Burning Man. I have never seen so many filthy cars and filthy RVs with filthy bikes

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We left Denver at 3:30pm today. I would never have guessed it would be bumper to bumper most the way to the 40 exit that late.

In 30 some years of fighting I-70 traffic, that's the latest in the day I've ever had to resort to the frontage road going westbound.*

Edit: *Friday afternoons excluded, of course.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 13063
We need an I 70 sucks thread. It could be a place for updates, traffic conditions, and just a place to vent.
I would've thought the traffic would be relatively light this afternoon, with the heaviest traffic yesterday afternoon and this morning. Wrong!
Cool, Pennsylvania tags. :thumb:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Having lived outside of Boston all of my life, we've driven in some lost traffic. And plenty of busy weekend ski traffic. Been a 200+ mile one way weekend warrior for all of my six decades. I've also driven all over the country. So I think I "get" traffic.

When our adult daughter moved to Denver a few years ago, I thought she was kidding talking about I-70 on weekends. I had been pretty oblivious to the changes over time, and we had timed visits to avoid weekend driving anyways. But, nope, we have had plenty of opportunity to join in the fun in recent years. It's nuts. I really feel for those of you who do it. I understand why, as Id be right there with you!

Our son, until last week lived in the High Rockies {he's an alpine race coach}, and he would tell me various stories of things that I'd expect up at elevation. But the mass exit from Denver on a snowy Friday afternoon? Yikes.

So as of today, our son has moved further West, and our daughter has moved full time to ski country. No more I-70 wars for her. She was just saying a half hour ago that she's looking forward to Friday and Sunday nights!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good day to sit at home and char animal flesh while drinking a preferred beverage.
This is why I don't mind working the Tent Sale.
I work.
I go home
I pour a bourbon
I eat a burger
I soak in the hot tub

Sponsor

Staff online