• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seemed like a great idea to squeeze three lanes of traffic into space for two lanes during a blizzard last night!

IMG_20200301_191749.jpg

Amazingly, and despite those conditions, it was a rather uneventful drive down last night. It seems like there has been a storm every single Sunday evening this season. Arg.

The nice thing about last night was everyone seemed relatively well behaved, unlike our previous Sunday evening storm when we encountered a hat trick of idiots in the horrible conditions:

I-70 idiot(s) #1: The four big rigs all lined up and blocking traffic in the middle lane of the eastbound tunnel approach going precisely 24 mph while passing a truck in the right lane going 23 mph. They really should be required to stay in the right lane there. Or, please just ban the damn trucks during peak hours for safety and to increase throughput.

I-70 idiot #2: The lifted Jeep weaving in and out of traffic and cutting everyone off on going down the other side of the tunnel. He (no doubt a dude) was driving like he had superior equipment with his Jeep thing (that I don't understand) and 35" tires. They must have been KO2's or another 3PMS AT tire fueling his overconfidence and encouraging him to put the rest of us in danger.

I-70 idiot #3: The much-prized Prius with flashers on, and in the fast lane! The Prius was the reason traffic was going half the speed it should, thus the Jeep needed to weave in and out of traffic. Usually, Prius flashers stay in the right lane, so this was a real bonus. The right lane had a few inches of snow, while the left lane was mostly ice.

With hard tires optimized for fuel economy, I can see how the Prius was incapable of driving in the right lane in those conditions. It should never have been there in the first place. The traction law and M+S tires are a joke.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The much-prized Prius with flashers on, and in the fast lane!
What is this thing with people and their flashers now? It’s an epidemic. Last year driving many hrs in a snow storm in the North East at night it was endless. People just driving normally, maybe a little slower, but flashers on the whole time. It’s very annoying when the highway is unlit, and serves absolutely no purpose.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I-70 idiot #3: The much-prized Prius with flashers on, and in the fast lane! The Prius was the reason traffic was going half the speed it should, thus the Jeep needed to weave in and out of traffic. Usually, Prius flashers stay in the right lane, so this was a real bonus. The right lane had a few inches of snow, while the left lane was mostly ice.

With hard tires optimized for fuel economy, I can see how the Prius was incapable of driving in the right lane in those conditions. It should never have been there in the first place. The traction law and M+S tires are a joke.

Many people would disagree with your assessment that usually Prius drivers stay in the right lane. https://www.facebook.com/LeftLanePrius/

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
It seemed like a great idea to squeeze three lanes of traffic into space for two lanes during a blizzard last night!

View attachment 95580

Amazingly, and despite those conditions, it was a rather uneventful drive down last night. It seems like there has been a storm every single Sunday evening this season. Arg.

The nice thing about last night was everyone seemed relatively well behaved, unlike our previous Sunday evening storm when we encountered a hat trick of idiots in the horrible conditions:

I-70 idiot(s) #1: The four big rigs all lined up and blocking traffic in the middle lane of the eastbound tunnel approach going precisely 24 mph while passing a truck in the right lane going 23 mph. They really should be required to stay in the right lane there. Or, please just ban the damn trucks during peak hours for safety and to increase throughput.

I-70 idiot #2: The lifted Jeep weaving in and out of traffic and cutting everyone off on going down the other side of the tunnel. He (no doubt a dude) was driving like he had superior equipment with his Jeep thing (that I don't understand) and 35" tires. They must have been KO2's or another 3PMS AT tire fueling his overconfidence and encouraging him to put the rest of us in danger.

Makes me glad we left early, yesterday!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 95580

Sorry to disagree with you. I have KO2's on my truck and they do just fine thank you. My previous tire was a Copper M+S and it also did just fine. I have two cars with Nokians and Blizzaks and they are marginally better. They get stuck before I get stuck before I get stuck with my KO2. They will stop marginally faster....I take care of that by giving more space.

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
Any idea what traffic on I-70 to winter park will be like this Sunday when we move the clocks forward? I guess the main question is do I still have to leave the Denver area by 5:30 am or do I get some extra time this weekend?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Just a guess, but leave at the 'correct' 5:30 as many of those you usually share the road with will be leaving at the 'wrong' 5:30.

Or...

giphy.gif

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Any idea what traffic on I-70 to winter park will be like this Sunday when we move the clocks forward? I guess the main question is do I still have to leave the Denver area by 5:30 am or do I get some extra time this weekend?

It shouldn't be a major issue as Sunday is never as busy as Friday or Saturday.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
It shouldn't be a major issue as Sunday is never as busy as Friday or Saturday.
If you leave at 6:30am on a Sunday going westbound there will be WAYYY more traffic than any non holiday Friday at 6:30am.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you leave at 6:30am on a Sunday going westbound there will be WAYYY more traffic than any non holiday Friday at 6:30am.

Just wasn't the case this past Fri-Sun. Sunday was far less traffic and I didn't hit the I-70/470 interchange until after 7 a.m.

P.S. and remember that Friday is the new Saturday.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Just wasn't the case this past Fri-Sun. Sunday was far less traffic and I didn't hit the I-70/470 interchange until after 7 a.m.

P.S. and remember that Friday is the new Saturday.
I skied last Friday. Had ZERO traffic issues on 470 or 70. Arrived at Keystone just after 8pm.

I ski most Fridays and I can’t say that I have run into traffic issues this year outside a couple slow downs at some usual spots. Nothing that would add more than say 10 min to the drive.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I skied last Friday. Had ZERO traffic issues on 470 or 70. Arrived at Keystone just after 8pm.

I ski most Fridays and I can’t say that I have run into traffic issues this year outside a couple slow downs at some usual spots. Nothing that would add more than say 10 min to the drive.

What time are you at the I-70/470 interchange on most Fridays?

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
What time are you at the I-70/470 interchange on most Fridays?
I leave CO Springs about 545am. So I am probably there around 7am? Drive to Keystone with no traffic door to door is 2:10 for me. I usually stop once somewhere for restroom and all, along 70.

I have not had a day this year that I can recall getting to the lot “late.”

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I haven't noticed a significant difference in the timing of the traffic on DST Sundays in the past. Only that it's dark again.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
That wasn't my experience this past Sunday. We left Evergreen at 7:10 AM and were in the Loveland parking lot at 8:05 AM. Only ten minutes slower than midweek.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier

View attachment 95580

Hilarious and enraging.
Did you see Idiot #4? The guy in the 4Runner who flies up the right lane then cuts into the left lane at the last minute, into a line of vehicles trying the pass a slow truck and causes everyone behind to slam their brakes on.

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like I should plan on leaving between 5:30 and 5:45 like a normal Sunday.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier

By Sunday it will have not snowed in a week, temps have been in the 40's and refreezing crust every morning I'm sure. 5:30am, what's the rush?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
All this time the solution was staring right at us. All that was needed was to simply declare a global pandemic and all the traffic woes disappear. ;)

But seriously, it was a little odd to see so few cars on I-70 on a Saturday morning during the peak of Spring break season. Very few out of state plates and even fewer rental cars. Also noticed very light semi-truck traffic. I hope that's not some kind of harbinger of what's happening with the supply chain.