• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
same as it ever was … winter summer and fall. Friends left Copper at the wrong time yesterday after the mac and cheese fest. Just over an hour to get to the tunnel from Copper. About 20 cars and/or trucks either overheating or broke down and pulled over off the road on both the left and right side of I70 heading up the hill. Not much room on the fast lane side for that. I guess the rest of the drive was the normal stop and go in the usual spots. They did say it looks like the express lane might actually be recouping some money. They had never seen so many cars in it as yesterday.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Summer goin out with a bang on i70. Last crazy weekend of the Summer thank god. Time to get my MTB gear ready :D

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.19.10 PM.png

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
About 20 cars and/or trucks either overheating or broke down and pulled over off the road on both the left and right side of I70 heading up the hill.

The amount of broken down vehicles always amazed me when we lived there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The golden goose is well and truly dead.

There are 2 places on i70 West (East of the Tunnel) that will really test a car/trucks engine systems, the climb from Golden to Genesee Park and from Georgetown to the Tunnel.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I first heard the term "Mousetrap" used to describe the I-70/I-25 interchange back in the 60's when I was a young boy. It was actually pretty simple to navigate back then. It has been reconfigured at least twice since then, becoming more complicated with each reconstruction. One can say that all they accomplished was to build a better Mousetrap. :duck:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Summer/Winter shitshow on i70 Today :eek::eek::eek:

69629533_2453910901363702_7135057078095183872_n.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Closed overnight.

Glad nobody was hurt. There's some terrifying video in this story of folks driving by the rock wall at the bottom of Floyd Hill as a waterfall comes down from the torrential rain. Yikes.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
4x4 rentals at DIA getting more expensive than the flights btw. I don't understand why the major companies don't offer snow tires as an upgrade or just put them on all the vehicles by default? You can get a ski rack as an upgrade.
Well, the rental car companies often allow point to point rentals. And snow tires in Alabama are a waste.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
In addition, there's a stock of rental cars that came with whatever tires on them. There's the cost of changing them and either disposing of the old tires or storing them. Then there's the fact that snow tires have a shorter life than all season tires. Is it any wonder that rental car rates are rising?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
In addition, there's a stock of rental cars that came with whatever tires on them. There's the cost of changing them and either disposing of the old tires or storing them. Then there's the fact that snow tires have a shorter life than all season tires. Is it any wonder that rental car rates are rising?

2WD cars are no longer generally compliant with the. I-70 traction laws. This is excellent, but mostly will lead to renters being unaware violators.

As you noted, some portion of the rental fleet would have to be confined to CO in order to equip with snow tires, although I have zero sympathy for sending people into the mountains unequipped. It shouldn’t be cheap, because the actual costs are passed on to the rest of us.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
2WD cars are no longer generally compliant with the. I-70 traction laws. This is excellent, but mostly will lead to renters being unaware violators.

As you noted, some portion of the rental fleet would have to be confined to CO in order to equip with snow tires, although I have zero sympathy for sending people into the mountains unequipped. It shouldn’t be cheap, because the actual costs are passed on to the rest of us.
2wd cars with snow tires and more than 3/16" tread are compliant with the traction law.

9d89dfdb-ab08-4aa0-a4e8-b0470d11780e.png

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
and this ^ is just crazy. Lawmakers, CDOT, etc get on the tv and talk a big game and oh we enacted tougher requirements this year … blah blah blah … nothing but BS. Not that I70 isn't a shit show now 10 months out of the year with or without snow.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
2wd cars with snow tires and more than 3/16" tread are compliant with the traction law.

And not even really Snow tires as we tend to think of snow tires, M+S suffices. Our Honda Civic with Michelin all seasons officially is acceptable.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

It says snow or M&S tires which is almost meaningless since every all season tire carries that rating no matter how horrendous they are in the snow.
Edit: @jmeb beat me to it.

Sponsor

Staff online