• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa! "vehicle fire" is an understatement.
Moving trailer (doubles) - Complete loss of vehicle, trailers and contents.
Imagine if you're the homeowner who's moving across country and you find out that your entire house full of furniture won't be arriving at your new home.
lake%20dillion%20fire%20semi%20i-70_1473040248488_45775716_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Thank goodness it didn't happen INSIDE the tunnel. I mean, they send hazmat trucks over the pass .... scary.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Mechanical malfunction? Burst into flames. Fuel leak, something got too hot.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mechanical malfunction? Burst into flames. Fuel leak, something got too hot.
Good chance the brakes caught fire as it was half way down the huge hill from the tunnel to Silverthorne.

We drove past the fire going eastbound about 9:30pm and there was really thick smoke, bad enough I assumed it just happened. I can't believe it had been burning for 3+ hours at that point!

Related note #1: The Semi driver we saw going 70mph down the final descent to Morrison with the 45mph max speed for trucks is lucky to be in one piece. I thought I was going to see the downhill runaway truck ramp get used, but he skipped it and managed to make the final corner.

Related note #2: damn glad we left late last night. Traffic was backing up by 10am this morning. Gonna be a rough day on I-70 today.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@tball you are probably right about the hot brakes. I didn't want to presume a poor professional driver but these days....furniture trucks usually run light not up to gross. If the driving public knew how bad the maintenance is on local trucks,scary. That and the lack of almost anyone giving a s#÷%.

Reactions: nay

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My Labor Day travels had me going from Colorado Springs back to Morrison via US 24 and 285. 285 had intermittent plugs due to stoplights along the way, and a crash west of Bailey but it was more fun than cruising I-25 in the middle of a mob all the way home.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
It bothers me to be a passenger in a car going down that hill with a driver who rides the brakes all the way down. I tell them that I can make it all the way down this hill without touching the brake and how they can do it, but they just keep riding the brakes anyway.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It bothers me to be a passenger in a car going down that hill with a driver who rides the brakes all the way down. I tell them that I can make it all the way down this hill without touching the brake and how they can do it, but they just keep riding the brakes anyway.

My last vehicle had only Drive and Low. Low was too low for that hill so I didn't have much of an option. It was absolutely one of my motivators in buying the new car last year which I can and do actively downshift in. I made it most of the way down Trail Ridge Road twice this weekend without using the brakes. Only the sharper turns required a tap of the brakes.

Oh, and even though the tourists on TRR were crazy yesterday, the only backup I dealt with was as we passed the visitor center at the top and the one going into Estes (I should have used the other gate to get out).

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'll make this short. With a trucks brakes adjusted correctly and in the RIGHT gear with the use of a auxiliary braking systems (jakes, brakes saver) a good driver should with or without brake application descend most grades without smoking the brakes. There is a brake application gauge (psi) that shows the brake pressure. Anything over 10 psi you better be dropping a gear or 2. Ok I'm done.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
And these truckers are supposed to be professionals? Lighted neon signs throughout the tunnel, "Truck speed limit 35 MPH." Other signs: "Steep grade ahead." Good grief, put it in a lower gear!!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The professional drivers are few and far. The Industry is flooded with displaced workers and foreigners. Even with the Feds. placing new regs. E-logs,dash cams,HOS ,ect. You can't fix stupid.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I spent a bunch of summers moving furniture, and often driving a tractor trailer. I was fully licensed, yet very inexperienced. Clueless. Had no business being behind the wheel. I was a college kid. I had three fires over the course of three years, and countless other "issues".

I would be one of those guys riding the brakes far too much. Driving too fast, etc. NO question in my mind. As others have mentioned, the maintenance on some of this equipment is pretty lax. I once flatted the inside tire on the rear of a trailer. I didn't see what I should have in my mirrors. The flat over heated, melted, and essentially was wedged under a wooden floor/deck which was saturated in oil and grease {Furniture trailers have oak floors}. Flames and smoke ensued. Luckily we had more that out normal supply of extinguishers on board, and we had help pull over fast. The load had smoke damage and no fire damage. When we looked at the other inside tire, it was something that should have never been on the trailer.

Had another trailer burst into flames, when we had a loose set of chains sparking like crazy right near the "fifth wheel" , where the trailer was again saturated in fluids. Laziness and lack of attention to detail. That one took off fast. The guy with me, who was in charge, pretty foolishly reached with gloved hands {took a big risk...minor burns}, and we uncoupled the trailer like lightning fast, and I pulled the tractor far ahead. The trailer was pretty well incinerated. Sad. All of a family's belongings.

I think that a lot of these things are traced to inexperience, some laziness, poor maintenance, poor choices.....and some bad luck. But yes, this is a business that I'm afraid has far fewer serious professionals than it once did. A lot of companies "cheap out." The last two times we moved, I was pretty astounded at the equipment and employees.

The comment that really hit home with me was @segbrown saying it would have been a disaster if it happened in the tunnel. I have been in that tunnel a fair amount, have observed some of the rigs around me, and the vehicles in general, and I'll admit have been uneasy at times. Particularly when traffic is crawling through there, let alone stopped for some reason. Luckily not that often, I guess.

In fact, I've been blown away by what people drive on that highway, in the winter, in snow. Been there enough over the past five winters to not be surprised by much, but it's just "wrong."

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It's hard to find a good employer with safe equipment not to mention a living wage.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump for what looks to be a not so fun President's Day weekend on I-70.

The road is currently closed for Avi control work. Fine:

i-70-sucks.jpg

My current gripes for today come from years of frustration:
  1. CDOT used to do avalanche control at first light, so it would be done by now (8 am). Are they sleeping in these days?
  2. Loveland Pass is closed. Fine. Get the work done and get Loveland Pass open. You spent the money on Gas-X or whatever it's called. :)
I think there is a good chance CDOT just leaves Loveland Pass closed. They used to work hard to keep it open, just like Berthoud Pass. Now it seems they don't even try. With another storm coming, why bother. Just let everyone sit an extra hour or two at the tunnels for metering.

I know I'm prejudging a bit. Any bets if Loveland Pass opens or they just leave it closed for President's Day weekend to maximize our pain.

Edit: here's the snow report showing the totals at both Loveland and A-basin. No doubt they need to do control work. No reason that can't do that this morning and get the road open, just like Berthoud Pass. But, with another storm on the way their latest MO is to just leave it closed to save the trouble. It's President's Day Weekend, what's going to be their priority?

Snow_Reports_-_Colorado_Ski_Country_USA___Colorado_Ski_Country_USA.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I drove to Snowy Range Ski Area (Laramie) from Omaha last month and the trip was a breeze (other than white-out conditions near the ski area).

Weather permitting, I was wondering in the future if I should take the Laramie to Summit County route on my trips to Breckenridge.

Thoughts? I know the wind can get pretty nasty around Cheyenne and Laramie.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on what I saw this morning, I70 is a total shit show westbound from Morrison to Glenwood. Control work, traction law, single lane only. There was an alert in the last 15 minutes or so of heavy traffic with delays from Morrison to the tunnel.

The old saying "timing is everything" still holds true. On Sat. we had to head down the hill mid afternoon. No traffic. Return trip no traffic. Anyone watching the news on Sunday evening probably saw the video of the traffic backed up and heard them talking about the 3 hour plus drive time.

Sponsor

Staff online