• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I have virtually no recollection of the lodging or skiing at A-B that trip. I think I made a couple runs and then headed to my original destination, which was Vail. But I will never forget coming down from the top of Loveland!!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think there is enough space at the bottom of Floyd Hill without MAJOR rebuilding. It is only two lanes around that chicane.

They plan to handle it with a tunnel for westbound at the bottom of the hill to avoid the hard left and following curves.

https://www.codot.gov/news/2018/may...westbound-i-70-mountain-corridor-improvements

The new westbound I-70 alignment would be placed in a tunnel at the bottom of Floyd Hill to reduce weather impacts and improve driver safety. During construction, the westbound alignment can be built adjacent to existing traffic lanes—limiting impacts to the traveling public.
Check out this virtual drive through the new section:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They plan to handle it with a tunnel for westbound at the bottom of the hill to avoid the hard left and following curves.

https://www.codot.gov/news/2018/may...westbound-i-70-mountain-corridor-improvements

The new westbound I-70 alignment would be placed in a tunnel at the bottom of Floyd Hill to reduce weather impacts and improve driver safety. During construction, the westbound alignment can be built adjacent to existing traffic lanes—limiting impacts to the traveling public.

That'll be great, but isn't Floyd Hill east of Veteran's Memorial Tunnels? Which is to say the new tunnel isn't part of the just started project.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier

Looks like the virtual driver is all over the road to more accurately represent real world conditions!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Where're they getting the space for the third downhill westbound lane on Floyd Hill? Shave another lane off the right side of the uphill lanes? Right now there's one bottleneck at the top of Floyd Hill where three lanes squish down to two and another at the bottom where U.S. 6 stuffs itself into I-70

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where're they getting the space for the third downhill westbound lane on Floyd Hill? Shave another lane off the right side of the uphill lanes? Right now there's one bottleneck at the top of Floyd Hill where three lanes squish down to two and another at the bottom where U.S. 6 stuffs itself into I-70
It will be elevated ala Glenwood Canyon. Watch the video above to the end and see the cool levitation trick:

_4__I_70_Floyd_Hill_Flythrough_-_YouTube.jpg

Pretty neat what you can build for a mere $500M!
https://coloradosun.com/2019/07/10/interstate-70-westbound-toll-lane-colorado/

Edit: Note that this isn't what is being built starting now. The Floyd Hill fix is still a very expensive, unfunded solution to a tough problem. Seems like a great solution. Now, where's the money coming from?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So the new Tunnel is westbound right at the US 6 intersection. So three lanes all the way through past the quarry and the new tunnel. Nice.

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 10.02.02 PM.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's also fantastic is the design continues US-6 (Clear Creek Canyon) separated from I-70 to the Central City exit.

What could go wrong? It's amazing they can keep mountain roads open in the context of the issue with the recently built U-36 that opened up Friday:

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What's also fantastic is the design continues US-6 (Clear Creek Canyon) separated from I-70 to the Central City exit.

What could go wrong? It's amazing they can keep mountain roads open in the context of the issue with the recently built U-36 that opened up Friday:

Exactly what I've been thinking. A co-worker attributed the issue to bentonite in the soil + insufficient prep / drainage when building the roads.

Sponsor