• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That makes more sense. Yes, the video only shows a couple cars that spun out. For safety sake maybe they should just shut down the road anytime it snows out.

In any case, I believe that there's a new (second year?) policy that they shut down for accidents because it's safer for the rescue staff and ALSO because it actually clears up the traffic faster because the staff can operate more quickly. Anyone remember something about this?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
People just drive that section of Road way too fast all the time. When conditions aren't good, as they were yesterday, it is just an accident waiting to happen. Officers Gulch is probably the worst section of I-70 in Summit County

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Idiots everywhere make it dangerous for everybody. Poor visibility, stupidity, and too much speed, and a little bit of road rage are a bad combination (listen to the audio). Here some more sample evidence (in case any is needed).

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People just drive that section of Road way too fast all the time. When conditions aren't good, as they were yesterday, it is just an accident waiting to happen. Officers Gulch is probably the worst section of I-70 in Summit County

I agree that people are way too fast in that section. I think they feel like it's flat so it must be easier/better than the section around the tunnel or over Vail pass so they go way too fast. Instead, it does have a some incline, it's curvy, and it sits in a canyon to it often has melt and refreeze cycles that are much longer than other parts of the road.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I agree that people are way too fast in that section. I think they feel like it's flat so it must be easier/better than the section around the tunnel or over Vail pass so they go way too fast. Instead, it does have a some incline, it's curvy, and it sits in a canyon to it often has melt and refreeze cycles that are much longer than other parts of the road.

The road is deceptive. After descending Vail Pass you think it is flat, but it isn't. I'll find my speed creeping up, too, but I recognize the possibility and try to stay aware. The condition of the road surface itself (lots of missing asphalt and cracks from joints in the asphalt) doesn't help, either.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The overall appeal of Denver as a destination may have peaked.

https://www.redfin.com/blog/q3-2018-migration-report
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/business/economy/home-prices-housing-market-slowdown.html

It is not inevitable that more people will move and live along I-70. It appears that the Denver metro may have reached a tipping point in the last several years, and more people are looking to move AWAY from Denver. Poor public infrastructure leading to traffic congestion and rapidly rising cost of housing are no doubt factors in that.

My husband’s grad school roommate, a Denver native and lifelong resident, and local judge, picked up and moved to a small PA town because he was sick of the population explosion and all the hassles that ensued.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Friendly tip: stay in the fast lane both eastbound and westbound passing Silverthorne. Your suspension will thank you.

We could start the work on I-70 by filling pot holes the size of trash cans. Also a reminder why 4x4 > AWD for I-70.

Good grief, this sounds like PA roads! People around here drive trucks just to deal with the shitty roads.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess the horrible fiery crash last month was never mentioned here.

Tragic and senseless.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/04/26/interstate-70-crash-lakewood-death-toll/

There are so many bad drivers on I-70, but it's the big trucks that I worry about most.

That's on my way home from skiing. I've been looking in my rear view mirror more often and can't help but to track the trucks coming down the hill behind me.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

How they decide to enforce the new law is what's going to be is really interesting:

In approving the revisions, the legislature directed the Colorado Department of Transportation and the Colorado State Patrol to explore ways to step up enforcement of the traction law.
I wonder if they will try anything new next season, like checkpoints, or will they study it for years then demand funding that doesn't exist for enforcement?

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any details. Will 2WD rental cars be allowed if you carry chains ?

Most 2WD rentals won't need chains or other traction devices. Tires stamped M+S tires with 3/16 of an inch of tread depth are allowed:

THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING: TIRE CHAINS OR AN ALTERNATE TRACTION DEVICE; FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; OR TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY A MANUFACTURER WITH A MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE, "M&S", "M+S", OR "M/S" SYMBOL OR THAT ARE ALL-WEATHER RATED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH.
Full bill text: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019A/bills/2019a_1207_enr.pdf

It's a pretty low bar. All-season tires are generally stamped with M+S. The law doesn't require snow tires, just all-season tires that are not worn out.

It will prohibit the very worst vehicles, but will still allow vehicles not capable of the worst conditions.

I guess me and my Mustang won't be moving to Denver any time soon ??????

How fast is your Mustang? I took a quick look at the Ford website and all but the Shelby's have all-season tires. Are your tires stamped with M+S?

M+S is kind of a joke. The other day I parked next to a Challenger. Not sure which one, but it was a faster version with tires that had no business in the mountains during the winter. They were stamped with M+S.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Most 2WD rentals won't need chains or other traction devices. Tires stamped M+S tires with 3/16 of an inch of tread depth are allowed:

THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING: TIRE CHAINS OR AN ALTERNATE TRACTION DEVICE; FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; OR TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY A MANUFACTURER WITH A MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE, "M&S", "M+S", OR "M/S" SYMBOL OR THAT ARE ALL-WEATHER RATED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH.
Full bill text: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019A/bills/2019a_1207_enr.pdf

It's a pretty low bar. All-season tires are generally stamped with M+S. The law doesn't require snow tires, just all-season tires that are not worn out.

It will prohibit the very worst vehicles, but will still allow vehicles not capable of the worst conditions.

How fast is your Mustang? I took a quick look at the Ford website and all but the Shelby's have all-season tires. Are your tires stamped with M+S?

M+S is kind of a joke. The other day I parked next to a Challenger. Not sure which one, but it was a faster version with tires that had no business in the mountains during the winter. They were stamped with M+S.

During severe storms they should have even more restrictions / requirements. If people without proper winter tires would just wait until the roads are clear most accidents would not happen. But its hard to legislate awareness and judgement / decision making. :huh:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
During severe storms they should have even more restrictions / requirements. If people without proper winter tires would just wait until the roads are clear most accidents would not happen. But its hard to legislate awareness and judgement / decision making. :huh:
Yeah, they should require either all-wheel drive or snow tires with a mountain snowflake rating during severe storms.

I'm afraid we could see checkpoints that would allow inadequately equipped vehicles through. What's the point of that?

Which reminds me of this thread, no front wheel drive and all-season tires are not adequate:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/no-f...es-isnt-good-enough-for-colorado-skiing.1137/

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most 2WD rentals won't need chains or other traction devices. Tires stamped M+S tires with 3/16 of an inch of tread depth are allowed

Mine is an 2016 Mustang GT, and to be honest it way to fast for an older guy like me , I do run 4 Snow tires in winter as i douse in winter as my primary ski car and its not bad until the under pan drags on snow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I guess me and my Mustang won't be moving to Denver any time soon ??????

TBH, I would be 100% fine not seeing any Mustangs on the mountain part of I-70 if there's any snow. And fwiw, there can be snowstorms pretty much any month. I've talked to people who got in accidents because they popped out of the tunnel into a full on snow storm in .. I think it was July.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would be 100% fine not seeing any Mustangs on the mountain part of I-70

I will agree that all wheel drive/4 wheel drive is better in snow/ice ,BUT its more the driver than the car/truck that put people in bad situations. I drive in northern NE during snow storms and have no problems. yes I have good snow tires on all four's, but more important I use good judgement and keep my speed to a safe level. Most accidents I see are folks in a 4 wheel / all wheel drive truck and I dare say Jeep. They almost always are going too fast and trying to pass in tough conditions. I don't see how this law is going to be enforced , most likely a ticket after the fact for faulty equipment

Sponsor

Staff online