• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado I-70 eastbound on Sunday afternoon, how much extra time?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
How early do returning Denverites starts to clog up I-79?

I want to be at Denver airport by 3pm Sunday, how much extra time I need to allow for the drive from Copper to the airport.

Trying to decide if I have time to take a few runs with some friends at Copper in the morning. Or should I just forget about it, and hit the road by noon, before it got all clog up.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ I agree with Steve. You can ski until noon or a little later and make it to DIA in good time.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How early do returning Denverites starts to clog up I-79?

I want to be at Denver airport by 3pm Sunday, how much extra time I need to allow for the drive from Copper to the airport.

Trying to decide if I have time to take a few runs with some friends at Copper in the morning. Or should I just forget about it, and hit the road by noon, before it got all clog up.

It all depends on the weather and idiot drivers.

Most days you can leave at noon no prob...others, you better not even ski and just go as early as possible and enjoy Denver.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The weather is suppose to be mostly sunny tomorrow. You may hear stuff about snow at Copper but those are flurries and not suppose to happen until tomorrow evening. Who knows about the traffic. If it was me headed to DIA I would leave no later than 12:30 p.m. There is also the Western Stock Show happening in Denver which is right off I70. It shouldn't be a big traffic problem but??? When you get to Idaho Springs the electronic sign post travel time to the airport.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The official I-70 traffic forecast backs up the comments above:
https://goi70.com/travel

Forecast for tomorrow:

Sunday EB –Last year on this Sunday, traffic resulted in 40 minutes of extra travel time in the 2:00 pm-6:00 pm timeframe.
And for Sunday's in general:

Sunday Eastbound - I-70 traffic starts to build as early as 11:00 a.m. The peak of the traffic occurs between 3:00-6:00 and drops off soon after 7:00 pm. Expect heavy traffic. To avoid the jam, stay in the mountains for dinner, or spend Sunday night and head back to work or school Monday morning. GoI70.com Peak Time Deals provide incentives to avoid peak travel times!
If I'm worried about it, I'll keep google maps running with directions home while skiing and I'll look at the estimated time each lift ride. It kills your battery, so have a charger in your car. Sometimes I'll even hear Lady Google says there's a slowdown in my pocket. ogsmile

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Predictions were spot on. It's Sunday 11:45 am and currently 1:44 Copper -> DIA with slowdowns just beginning:

Copper_Mountain_to_Denver_International_Airport_-_Google_Maps.png

Ski the Super Bee for three hours or so and you'll have 30,000 vertical feet before hit the road. No lift line at all. I-70 skiing sh*t show does happen, but not all the time, and not everywhere.

download (1).jpeg
https://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/super-bee-hd-cam

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Did you have flight too? I'll ski Copper or maybe Abasin tomorrow till 3 or 4 and be home preparing dinner in 10 or 15 minutes. What's the problem?

Your are cruel. It takes me at least 27 minutes to make it from slope to kitchen.

:roflmao:

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Predictions were spot on. It's Sunday 11:45 am and currently 1:44 Copper -> DIA with slowdowns just beginning:

We are watching the times back to Denver closely today since we have family heading to airport for an early evening flight. Travel time delay just jumped to an hour for Dillon to DIA. Biggest trouble is still above Georgetown as of 1pm.

upload_2019-1-13_15-6-42.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We are watching the times back to Denver closely today since we have family heading to airport for an early evening flight. Travel time delay just jumped to an hour for Dillon to DIA. Biggest trouble is still above Georgetown as of 1pm.

View attachment 62796

What a difference an hour makes.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2:40 estimated if you leave around 4:30. Don't do that.

Copper_Mountain_to_Denver_International_Airport_-_Google_Maps.png

Wait until 7 pm and it should be back close to normal. It's not that complicated. Until a storm, then advanced maneuvres may be required. ;)

Sponsor