• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Got the Falken AT3Ws mounted up yesterday.

Initial impressions:

- Balancing wasn't too bad, but not perfect (.5-1oz on each.) Then again, my wheels are pretty beat.
- Aggressive looking sidewall looks rad.
- Treads are DEEP.
- Measure slightly bigger than previous same-size tires I had on there.
- Quieter than previous tires (Big O Big Foot ATs). Not silent, still an AT for sure.
- Surprisingly supple ride quality given apparent heft.

Now...if we could just get some good snow so I could see how this compound/tread design works in it I'd be very happy.

14970881_10100991933404330_738071978_o.jpg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
While playing in Loveland's parking lot if you got a pass there this year?

Loveland lot will do :).

Sounds like our dry pavement impressions are about the same. Some winter testing would be nice...

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I've had a few other cases of Prius drivers acting aggressive in really sketchy conditions, but maybe that's the fuel thing and I'm overgeneralizing in the wrong direction, and these people are actually stupid enough to prioritize fuel economy in bad conditions protected only by their little sardine can.

Oops, Can't be me. lol. OTOH the stupid chain laws in CA keep the Prius from Tahoe during storms. My having real snow tires (with snowflake symbol)
gets the Prius working fine in snow but they don't count in CA* (*except my secret back way home thru Downieville since Sierra County is almost always chains OR snow tires).

AWD Highlander with mean winter tires is no prob.

:popcorn:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so I went to Discount Tire today to discuss my best options. My Yokohama's that came on the car are at 27k miles and are more worn than I thought. Why do they even sell tires on new cars anymore? They are garbage.

Anyway, I've got a set of Michelin Defender XTs on order. I am having them installed next Tuesday because they are offering a black Friday deal of $100 off a set of four. That's tough to beat! Now, please PLEASE let it snow!

I'll report back my impressions.

Reactions: nay
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, since I am sitting on I-70 due to an accident closure, might as well post up some first impressions of the new Falken AT3W.

IMG_2716.JPG

This is at about 27 degrees with warm roads and heavy snow, so basically standing slush in the left lane that other drivers were avoiding. I just ran it up in the untouched slush at about 55 mph and it was like it wasn't there. Coming down the west side it went from slushy to wet, no issues around the corners or in transitions driving at proper speeds.

First test passed with flying colors. Even the Audi drivers were hanging back ogwink.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@nay -- this makes me very excited. I plan to wander up Jones pass this weekend just to test them on snowy fire roads.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so I went to Discount Tire today to discuss my best options. My Yokohama's that came on the car are at 27k miles and are more worn than I thought. Why do they even sell tires on new cars anymore? They are garbage.

Anyway, I've got a set of Michelin Defender XTs on order. I am having them installed next Tuesday because they are offering a black Friday deal of $100 off a set of four. That's tough to beat! Now, please PLEASE let it snow!

I'll report back my impressions.

pick up their credit card and cut another $60 off or their BF deals ... ( I know, I'm a broken record!)

Well, since I am sitting on I-70 due to an accident closure, might as well post up some first impressions of the new Falken AT3W.

View attachment 15929

This is at about 27 degrees with warm roads and heavy snow, so basically standing slush in the left lane that other drivers were avoiding. I just ran it up in the untouched slush at about 55 mph and it was like it wasn't there. Coming down the west side it went from slushy to wet, no issues around the corners or in transitions driving at proper speeds.

First test passed with flying colors. Even the Audi drivers were hanging back ogwink.

Braggart! ok, I look forward to the review and somewhat jealous on driving in snow. I actually love (most the time) driving in heavy crappy conditions.But I can do without other idiots (I'm fine with being the only idiot on the road)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
pick up their credit card and cut another $60 off or their BF deals ... ( I know, I'm a broken record!)
Can't take out any new lines of credit, unfortunately. Divorce...:(

Braggart! ok, I look forward to the review and somewhat jealous on driving in snow. I actually love (most the time) driving in heavy crappy conditions.But I can do without other idiots (I'm fine with being the only idiot on the road)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No highway speeds, but trying to do donuts, emergency stops and sudden accelerations in a few inches of slush/snow in some park parking lots left me incredibly bored.

Bored is a great thing to be with snow tires. (To be fair, nothing about my van allows for very sporting performance.)

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Expecting a full report on at3w tonight ogwink

Got a bit more testing than I was asking for :D

We covered slush before, so add icy slushy on winding frontage...

IMG_2727.JPG

Icy I-70...

IMG_2732.JPG

Neighborhood carpocalypse...

IMG_2753.JPG

As icy as I've ever seen it here. Almost got taken out by a dualie pickup coming at me sideways in my lane at the crest of a hill (I probably shouldn't have been taking pics - this is said dualie just before he goes sideways).

IMG_2745.JPG

Just a disaster with all our hills, roads closed everywhere. I also almost got hit from behind by a Ford Mustang sliding slowly down a hill I was stopped on. He just managed to steer around me and then slid to the bottom where bumper cars were in progress. I tried to take a vid, but apparently turned it off instead.

Took out the Cruiser after a beer

IMG_2755.JPG

to compare tires, although nothing compares to the Cruiser. Ice anybody?

IMG_2764.JPG

I'm really impressed with the AT3W. They were just glued up in the mountains. I got some ice slide out of the evasive maneuvers, but all nice and controlled. Better than studless snows I've run.

Given the tread depth and lug spacing the AT3W is going to kill it in deep stuff, so I think Falken pretty much nailed it.

The BFG ko2 remains a perplexingly good ice tire, but the Falken is more composed in slush and has a better forward and lateral traction balance. And that was some serious ice on steep grades tonight. Great tire.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
to compare tires, although nothing compares to the Cruiser. Ice anybody?

oh ... now that's not a nice road, ice sucks

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the Michelin Defender XTs mounted on the Mazda today. Initial impression of city and freeway driving, including up the Weber River Canyon on I84, which is a good test of cornering at speed: quiet, smooth, but a little driftier than the stock tires. Didn't hug the freeway corners, particularly when hitting a bump, as well, but it was a marginal difference. I'm guessing that this is due to going from a passenger car tire to a light truck tire on a vehicle that has sporty suspension. Oh, and they didn't have 225s in stock ANYWHERE in the country, so I now have 235s on. Not sure if this contributes to the difference or not. Discount Tire did me right by charging me the same. I've always appreciated their customer service.

Forecast says I should have ample opportunity to test them out in snow next week :golfclap:

Reactions: nay

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the Michelin Defender XTs mounted on the Mazda today. Initial impression of city and freeway driving, including up the Weber River Canyon on I84, which is a good test of cornering at speed: quiet, smooth, but a little driftier than the stock tires. Didn't hug the freeway corners, particularly when hitting a bump, as well, but it was a marginal difference. I'm guessing that this is due to going from a passenger car tire to a light truck tire on a vehicle that has sporty suspension. Oh, and they didn't have 225s in stock ANYWHERE in the country, so I now have 235s on. Not sure if this contributes to the difference or not. Discount Tire did me right by charging me the same. I've always appreciated their customer service.

Forecast says I should have ample opportunity to test them out in snow next week :golfclap:
dang, where's the report! ?

anyhow, have no concern they'd do poorly considering all seasons.

Happy Thanks Giving everyone!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
First report on the Michelin Ice-X hybrid: really, really good! Got a good chance to test them multiple times last week. Hard to quantify, but very, very good hold. Confidence inspiring. And they make no noise above a regular tire on dry pavement. I'd definitely recommend.

Drove right around the 3 cars in a snow bank situation I mentioned elsewhere. Of course, being careful, taking it slowly, and driving AWD are all things those drivers may not have been doing (ok, one of them was a lexus SUV, but I couldn't verify if it was awd, some are not).

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I should also update on the Michelin Defender XTs. We had a hell of a snowstorm here to start the week, and I drove up to the ski area every day and was VERY happy with them. I passed quite a few people who lost traction climbing small hills, or who had just slid off the road. I even drove into an unplowed parking lot that had at LEAST a foot of snow, and had no trouble at all leaving my car there for an hour, snowshoeing, then coming back and driving out of it. I am very pleased! Thanks for all the advice I received here :golfclap:

Sponsor