• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
- Bozed wine, deboxed (in its bag).
- Kindle
- Some way to get weather reports via satellite.
- Skin wax (should be okay this time of year without it)
- Spare screws to all your kit.
- A pole splint (literally just an old pole, with a 4" section cut in half). Make a splint if pole breaks with a couple of
- Pipe clamps. Useful for lots of breakages
- Plenty of vitamin I and moleskin.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How much do you weigh?

Personally I weight 175 pre gear.

Yesterday I skied about a foot of fresh snow on 95s and had a great time. Yesterday I also skied with a gal who is probably about 130-140. She was on 116s for the first time in the bc and was raving about how much fun they were than her previous skis in the deepish stuff(which aren't exactly chump change at 95, DPS Tours). For reference, she grew up skiing in AK, and skis Kastle MX84s with grace and attitude most days inbounds. Skills are not a problem for her.

Of course, OPs mileage may vary. There is a lot more to the right ski than waist width.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Backcountry in the interior (Selkirks and east) of BC fairly regularly. Conditions aren't exactly consistent, but I generally prefer to take my wider skis over the regular (116 vs 102), unless I am on a peakbagging mission, doing a long traverse, or trying (mostly failing) to keep up with friends who are cardio freaks..

I don't think you will have a bad time on the 95s....But if you are stuck in a hut during an avalanche cycle...and forced to wiggle in tight, low angle trees, you will really want the bigger skis.

Where are you heading?

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Mike Rogers Ymir, outside of Nelson.

@jmeb you bring up a good point about construction. I’m on Pandora’s, which are pretty light, somewhat soft, and have a decent shape for soft snow. I’m 5’2” and around 110-115. I feel like the ideal ski for the trip would be in the mid 100's for me, which makes me wonder if I'm splitting hairs over a few mm. Right now, there aren't reservations on the Yvettes or Wailers that would be in my size range, so I might just keep an eye on the forecast going into the trip.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
fwiw, heli guides are recommending something as fat as the k2 pon2oons (132mm) in 159 for someone as small as me - 5'0", 105lbs. I think it's overkill for a human powered mission due mainly to weight. I don't know how technical demo bindings work, but these things with alpine demo bindings were 22lbs. Add on a pack, and you're talking about (someone my size) schlepping 40 to 50% of their body weight.

See if you can find an Atomic Backland 109 for rent...

ETA - oh, I just saw that you're heli-ing in, so the schlepping is not as big a deal!

Reactions: BC.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ambien in a back country setting? Please go this route only if you've used the drug and are comfortable you can manage it's effects in the back country. I've not had personal experience, but hear some crazy stories about irregular and irrational behavior on that stuff.

(newly certified WFR student here :)

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Successful trip on the books! 6 days, 15 skiers, and... 0 cms of new snow (even in the 3-4 days preceding our trip). That being said, we had amazing stability, and other than the first run of the trip down a sun-crusty aspect on Seeman Peak, most runs skied quite nicely (and even if the initial run was terrible, at least it made for great dirty jokes). I was really thrilled to have a green light on pretty much all aspects/all elevation bands - for me, great terrain > great snow. Low angle pow runs through the trees are possible at a lot of places. A consistent, 2000 ft fall line at 40 degrees with easy skinning in and out is not. It was also nice to skip the rentals and ski my old faithfuls when the snow had a light crust or some of the entrances were tight & technical.

As for hacks, the best item I brought with me was a plastic spray bottle. Totally clutch for marathons in the woodfired sauna, and while wipes were essential, it was nice to follow them up with a spray bottle “shower” since the wipes leave a bit of a residue. Also, for groups that rotate cooking duty, grab a day in the middle if it’s a long trip. I nabbed the last day thinking that we’d be tired by then, but a midweek chore day with less skinning & skiing would’ve been nice for the ol’ legs. And bring a shower bag for after. Tons of community pools in CA with hot tubs and steam rooms and (most importantly) showers, and it lets you easily pull an audible if it finally starts dumping snow on your heli out and you just have to extend your stay to ski the local resort.

Groups were also surprisingly difficult. 6 from our crew were from the east side of the Cascades and were super aligned on objectives each day. The rest of us are good friends that ski together pretty frequently, but tend to go different directions in spring when the avalanche risk, visibility, and daylight hours improve, which was similar to the weather we had at the lodge. Skiing with a group of 9 is a cluster. Skiing with 9 when there are big differences in uphill speed, downhill speed, our appetites from the a vert/laps perspective, comfort with exposure to get up on the ridgelines, and comfort with steep skiing/sometimes cruddy snow made for a lot of waiting and negotiating. We finally got into groups of 2-3 by the end of the trip. It’s tough to chat about runs too far in advance without the weather/avalanche risk as part of the conversation, but I think a little bit of research and comparing some notes while we waited for the heli would’ve helped us make better use of the first few days there when our legs were fresh.

9BC09C4B-0349-4002-8F60-3D98DDCEC77E.jpeg
0726BD2D-6462-422C-892C-ED4289CA0B6E.jpeg
ED03EED2-4D10-4825-B20C-C0B19540DFA0.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online