• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading out in a few weeks for a hut trip in the BC backcountry. Suuuuper stoked and starting to take inventory on things to bring. I've got all the basics for touring, except potentially renting a pair of Yvette Alchemists since my setup is only 95 underfoot, but curious about tips for repair kit/backup items for a week without a nearby ski shop, and après goodies like down booties & games for a week without electricity. We'll heli in, so while there's a weight limit, I don't have to worry about going super minimalist.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Heading out in a few weeks for a hut trip in the BC backcountry. Suuuuper stoked and starting to take inventory on things to bring. I've got all the basics for touring, except potentially renting a pair of Yvette Alchemists since my setup is only 95 underfoot, but curious about tips for repair kit/backup items for a week without a nearby ski shop, and après goodies like down booties & games for a week without electricity. We'll heli in, so while there's a weight limit, I don't have to worry about going super minimalist.

Snacks, lots of them :D

I also take a small and light multi tool that has the right bits to tighten the screws on the top of my dynafits bindings and boots. Zip ties are a must. Some Duct tape on a ski pole is std procedure too. :D

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t like my down booties for hut trips. Too warm and not breathable enough for inside wear. I save them for winter camping. That said, a pair of thick wool socks and Flipflops or some other slipper would be on my list (especially assuming you ski in thin socks).

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Duck tape, extra warm clothing in case it gets cold or you need to stay warm longer than planed, and a very small flashlight/headlight. 95 is wide enough unless you weigh more than 190 lbs..

That’s not what you hear from backcountry (Heli)guides. Most of the interviews I have read/listened to from “big snow country” , the guides want their clients on pretty wide boards, since it saves energy and reduces falls.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like alcohol, bring Port or similar fortified wine rather than regular wine or beer. Since you drink smaller glasses of it, it’s lighter/smaller to pack.
Or, of course, hard liquor if you like that, either straight or made into cocktails.

@Ken_R said: “take lot’s of pics”
Not hut specific, but if you have a camera larger than super-compact, get a peak designs capture clip. It goes on your shoulder strap and clips/release with one hand. It works awesome for skiing. Reviews abound. The have a new version out now.
https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you like alcohol, bring Port or similar fortified wine rather than regular wine or beer. Since you drink smaller glasses of it, it’s lighter/smaller to pack.
Or, of course, hard liquor if you like that, either straight or made into cocktails.

@Ken_R said: “take lot’s of pics”
Not hut specific, but if you have a camera larger than super-compact, get a peak designs capture clip. It goes on your shoulder strap and clips/release with one hand. It works awesome for skiing. Reviews abound. The have a new version out now.
https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture
:wine:MMM port.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

The 10-year old isn't bad either.

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t like my down booties for hut trips. Too warm and not breathable enough for inside wear. I save them for winter camping. That said, a pair of thick wool socks and Flipflops or some other slipper would be on my list (especially assuming you ski in thin socks).

My friends at Feathered Friends hooked me up with a custom set of extra stuffed down booties... and I wear them around the house.

Looked up a few of the heli op recommendations and it looks like most advise 100mm+. I'm on the smaller side and the snow inland is a little lighter, so I might not be strudeled. (Good call on the energy piece though. Making a mental note for extra squats). I'll probably track the forecast and make a call a few days out if it looks like a pair of fatties will be a lot more fun.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Analisa , well, if you wear them around the house, for sure bring them ;-) ! I was just about to write suggesting trying them out at home.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That’s not what you hear from backcountry (Heli)guides. Most of the interviews I have read/listened to from “big snow country” , the guides want their clients on pretty wide boards, since it saves energy and reduces falls.
Wider skis make it easier. I can see how the guides would want to make it as easy as possible, especially for those clients who don't have the skills they think they do.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wider skis make it easier. I can see how the guides would want to make it as easy as possible, especially for those clients who don't have the skills they think they do.

It depends entirely on where you're talking about skiing. There are legit reasons to be on a pretty wide ski if @Analisa is skiing interior BC at a big snowfall location. Fat skis make traveling on super deep, unconsolidated snow way easier. Setting a skin track in 2' of pow I'd rather be on my 115s than my 95s every day. Skiing low angle meadows, same story as I float easier, hit less stuff down in the snow, etc. Not just a matter of skill.