• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hurricane Matthew

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Drove to Raleigh with the kids for a football watch party. Got there and.the game wasn't on because DirecTV signal was out. Drove back home in time to catch the 2nd half, dish network does ok in most conditions. Then the roof starts leaking and the internet went out. Roof leak contained to a small drop to bucket in attic but the ceiling in the kitchen is wrecked. Still have power and dish network. Got a small generator in the shed if needed. I feel sorry for the people that got hit harder. A couple of damns broke across town but much better here than farther east and south.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I spent a week in Melbourne Florida in April. They got a direct hit. Haven't heard much yet. Also I've a friend vacationing just south of Orlando. Text messaged him on Friday. All OK, but crappy for the kids. Disney a no go. Indoor water park where they were was OK. They still have another week.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
All the best to the folks down there. It's a pain in the ass to deal with a truculent Mother Nature but at least property damage is fixable. Hoping everyone stays safe and not too uncomfortable.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still no internet. Lots of folks without power. First time in years I considered getting a Sunday paper. Smartphone still delivers most crucial sports schedule info albeit over a tiny screen hahaha.
Weather is beautiful today. Nice bluebird day to caulk around the flash of exhaust pipe I suspect was the source of the leaking roof.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A major dam and some levies failed last night and this morning. Lumberton, NC is almost 100% under water with people on their roofs waiting to be rescued like the 9th Ward post Katrina. I95 is closed there now. It's getting worse as water is still rising..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We only (so far) got the northwest backhand flooding. The creek just NE of the office washed over the road and dumped about 4' of debris sometime Saturday afternoon.

Walking around the blockage through the woods - it is amazingly dry ; not even muddy anymore.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I was in Myrtle Beach last week playing golf with some buddies. We were supposed to play Thursday, then leave Friday a.m. The Gov. of SC announced an evacuation order on Wednesday night, the hotel immediately called us and said it was closing and locking up at 10 am Thursday. We left at 6 am Thursday to beat any traffic.
Our hotel was 50 yards from the ocean, and, it was beat up pretty good during the storm.

We have a home in a beach community in So. Jersey, I've come to fear hurricanes. Best wishes to all were impacted by Mattthew. Recovery will be a long time coming for many.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Still waiting to hear how my dad's place near Southport, NC came through. He beat feet up to Charlotte to wait it out, and was headed home yesterday to see what shook out. I usually rent a beach house on Oak Island when I go visit him - hope those places aren't too beat up. I checked the Southport paper yesterday and it said they escaped without major damage.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@crgildart thanks for reporting. I've been wondering how you were fairing the storm.
Keep us posted.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was in Myrtle Beach last week playing golf with some buddies. We were supposed to play Thursday, then leave Friday a.m. The Gov. of SC announced an evacuation order on Wednesday night, the hotel immediately called us and said it was closing and locking up at 10 am Thursday. We left at 6 am Thursday to beat any traffic.
Our hotel was 50 yards from the ocean, and, it was beat up pretty good during the storm.

We have a home in a beach community in So. Jersey, I've come to fear hurricanes. Best wishes to all were impacted by Mattthew. Recovery will be a long time coming for many.
I wondered how you faired.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a daughter who lives in Charleston, SC, with her hubbie, baby son, dog and two cats. They were evacuated, left and took a "vacation" in Asheville, NC. Saw Biltmore, and did other touristy stuff (as much as possible while heavy with dependents). They left Sunday morning and got stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic for all day.

Their house is only a few blocks from the ocean, in a small, contained subdivision. We were all worried. This was mandatory evacuation territory. Someone in the neighborhood chose to stay behind, so my daughter stayed in contact with them. That part of Charleston dodged the bullet; no damage. Whew!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My son just returned to his dorm last night. He is in school in Deland FL. About 25 mile SW of Daytona Beach. First hurricane for him during his 4 years there.
They evacuated some of the out of state students to a local farm located on high ground for 5 days. The farm was on generator for a few days during the height of the storm. Not much damage to his dorm except the content of his frig when the power went out. Overall, he thought it was an interesting experience.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This wasn't the traditional east coast hurricane where folks on the coast sustained the majority of the damage due to wind and surge. That did happen, but the worst of it is due to 15"+ of rain falling farther inland over a 12 hour period slamming the creeks and rivers and storm drains beyond capacity. Many towns recorded all time record 24 hour rainfall for Saturday. And, this wasn't even a direct hit from a cat 1-2. The eye never even made it to the coast, we only got half of it after all was said and done. However, dams and levies downstream between Central NC and the coast form several man made lakes,, but those dams are letting go and entire lakes are slamming the communities downhill/downstream of them and now the lake beds are dry and the towns that were on the other side of the dams, are now under water, i.e.e new lakes.

I'd like to believe that the dams and levies would be built to sustain 20" of rain over a 24 hour period, but dam failure is getting more and more common in this state. I'm glad we don't live near one. It won't get any better without raising taxes and funding infrastructure better again..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'd like to believe that the dams and levies would be built to sustain 20" of rain over a 24 hour period, but dam failure is getting more and more common in this state. I'm glad we don't live near one. It won't get any better without raising taxes and funding infrastructure better again..

Stormwater design was part of my university education. Up here, we designed to what we call the 100 year storm, or for us, Hurricane Hazel. That dumped 125mm of rain in Toronto over a 24 hour period, which is about 5" of rain. We've had some epic rain events (for us) in the last 10 years. Our neighbourhood actually flooded in July 2013 when we got 125mm of rain in 2 hours. For the most part the infrastructure handled the rain but there was what we call overland flooding in houses, basically water running over the ground and into people's basements through the foundation. But we didn't have TOO much of the boats in the streets issue (although there was some of that to be sure..).

It kind of irked me because the media and the opposition party chose to use the words "old infrastructure" or "crumbling infrastructure" when in reality it performed quite well given the design parameters used to create it. I would have liked them to use words like "inadequately designed" because that's more or less what it is. We chose a guideline based on 100 years of storm water measurement and thought we were good, you know, the storm that happens once in a hundred years. However, climate change is affecting us and it's likely we'll have more flood events in the future. The cost of upgrading all that storm infrastructure to handle larger rain events is quite high obviously..I don't know how we'll deal with that in the future.

I suspect you may be in a similar situation. They probably chose a rainfall model that was based in sound engineering practice based on historic norms..but that might be changing. It's a challenge. For us, the cycle for storm infrastructure replacement is measured in decades. Unless more funding appears (federal or provincial) there won't be upgrading for decades.

Bottom line..don't buy in the flood plain!!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I suspect you may be in a similar situation. They probably chose a rainfall model that was based in sound engineering practice based on historic norms..but that might be changing. It's a challenge. For us, the cycle for storm infrastructure replacement is measured in decades. Unless more funding appears (federal or provincial) there won't be upgrading for decades.

Bottom line..don't buy in the flood plain!!

Ya I'm well aware that climate change is very likely a reason we're now getting a "100 year storm" every 6 months now. Less than ten days ago many of these same communities flooded almost as badly.

I'm lucky enough to live in the state where the General Assembly passed laws banning the use of exponential equations for predicting sea level rise and other weather related phenomenon so we don't have to worry about climate change. Our long term forecasts must follow a Y=Mx+B format using only historical data points drawn out on a straight line connecting the earliest one and the least outlier current one. That should save us from that dreaded climate change eh??

Back on the very serious and tragic side here. This catastrophe will impact the entire nation to some degree in a very painful way. Quite a few major hog farms got taken out and lost their livestock. That means A :nono: BACON AND BBQ SHORTAGE in the next few months.. Turkey farms were also taken out. Happy Thanksgiving.

Sponsor