• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hurricane Florence strikes!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
All things considered....not that bad. You mentioned in an earlier post IIRC there was a 9'storm surge. With 13" in the basement and 8'above sea level I''m betting it was storm surge.

Glad they are OK !

Pretty spot there !

I'm begging mom for an "after" picture!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Monique I'm glad your parents are OK with minimal home damage. Have they called someone yet to remove the eight downed trees from the property? Sooner is better than later. Lines for getting that work done will be longer than the grocery store lines; best to set it up right away and get on the list.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique I'm glad your parents are OK with minimal home damage. Have they called someone yet to remove the eight downed trees from the property? Sooner is better than later. Lines for getting that work done will be longer than the grocery store lines; best to set it up right away and get on the list.

I haven't asked. This is not their first rodeo, or first downed tree. Hell, my dad may just be planning to saw them himself.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Golfing at Silver Creek GC near Emerald Isle, NC, 9/24/18, the aftermath of Hurricane Flo:
Silver Creek GC after Hurricane Florence.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My brother's house made it through basically intact. (He and his wife did evacuate but are back now.) Solid, more-than-code-requires new construction on stilts with a metal roof. No water inside. But there is considerable damage to the siding and their carefully landscaped yard is essentially gone. (Flood insurance only covers structures, by the way.)

Several of their neighbors lost their houses completely.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend in New Bern has a foot of water standing in her house, according to a neighbor who got in. The river is expected to crest later this week and will cause additional flooding. She and her husband won't go back until the power is on, until the extra water has entered the house and maxed out, and the roads are clear. They will need to document the destruction, find workmen to pull out the floors and walls and furniture and rebuild, and purchase lodging for months and months. It's a one-story house so moving in isn't an option. Finding workmen in New Bern will be quite difficult, since it's been an issue with the addition they've been trying to get built over the last year even without such devastation wrecking the whole area of New Bern. The longer it takes, the more likely mold will do its thing. I don't know how they will manage.
For those that haven’t been to Hatteras a lot of homes are built on stilts, to allow trapped (storm sound) water to pass “under the house” and not “through the house”.

Sadly your car may get a good interior storm wash but at least your house doesn’t.

(Tried to post a photo just didn’t work).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
My friends lost the car they left in the garage. Their interior walls and floors are currently being torn out to avoid mold growing. Their hastily rented storage unit flooded, the one they used to store their dry things that escaped Florence. Their clothes were in there, now worthless. They are in a rental house with no furniture. I'm not sure about power being restored. Things are not good for them right now.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
we drove over to Star Hill GC and it was closed. We got lost and went into Star Hill Rd and turned around in there. Lot of downed trees there and signs of high water, but the area is gradually drying out. The mosquitos were terrible when we played nearby Silver Creek, GC.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
we drove over to Star Hill GC and it was closed. We got lost and went into Star Hill Rd and turned around in there. Lot of downed trees there and signs of high water, but the area is gradually drying out. The mosquitos were terrible when we played nearby Silver Creek, GC.

My parents just got TV and internet access back (I think they're on Comcast, so probably both together) today - 13 days so far. Mom said that this was not universal - just their neighborhood was impacted by a mystery problem that took a while to troubleshoot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Dislike.