• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hurricane Florence strikes!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow, he's showing yellow at the NC/SC border, htf is that even possible?

Our girl Flo will fix that by the weekend.

Sigh. My parents are staying in their house during the hurricane. They plan to camp out in the basement and do have a generator, water, food, etc. Bathroom is on the first floor, though. They fully expect to lose power for several days, and I assume it will be impossible to call them, too. They have a landline, but no corded phones. Their house is five minutes from Emerald Isle, which is a mandatory evacuation zone. I've had several relatives contact me to freak out about this. All I can say to them is that my parents are adults who can make their own decisions, even if we don't like it. PS my parents are 78 yo. I really really hope they'll be okay.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I hope your parents will be ok also. I get staying the basement because of the wind and potential tornadoes but it could be a double edged sword with 20-50" of rain.

Yeh, we're trying to not get her more nervous. ;) AFAICT, if she's going to do anything, the best she can do is provide an evacuation refuge for any follow-on storms - after some normalcy is restored from this one.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hope your parents will be ok also. I get staying the basement because of the wind and potential tornadoes but it could be a double edged sword with 20-50" of rain.

Yeh, we're trying to not get her more nervous. ;) AFAICT, if she's going to do anything, the best she can do is provide an evacuation refuge for any follow-on storms - after some normalcy is restored from this one.

I don't know if I'm overreacting, but given that two other family members have also reached out to ME expressing concern for my parents -

I left a voicemail. I said that they should consider how *we* will feel, likely not hearing from them for several days. Think about what it would to *me* if something did happen to them, and it's something they could have avoided by evacuating. I pointed out that on google maps, US 40 doesn't show any traffic.

I doubt they'll change their minds, especially when they're hosting two other couples in their basement (!!) - they call it a "senior sleepover" - but I tried.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I don't know if I'm overreacting, but given that two other family members have also reached out to ME expressing concern for my parents -

I left a voicemail. I said that they should consider how *we* will feel, likely not hearing from them for several days. Think about what it would to *me* if something did happen to them, and it's something they could have avoided by evacuating. I pointed out that on google maps, US 40 doesn't show any traffic.

I doubt they'll change their minds, especially when they're hosting two other couples in their basement (!!) - they call it a "senior sleepover" - but I tried.

Having experienced several hurricanes I will tell you this. If its a CAT. 4 or 5, GTFO of there. Do your best to protect your property and belongings take photos of everything and go far away from the storm. It is NOT worth staying through and being there in the aftermath unless you are a first responder or have something to do with the emergency and recovery efforts. If its a CAT. 3, I would strongly consider doing the same. For a CAT. 1 or 2 you can stay if your house is not in a flood prone area and its sturdy. If you stay then have plenty of cash, supplies and fuel.

This applies to any place but the more isolated the location the more I would consider leaving. I experienced the Hurricanes on the Island of Puerto Rico which naturally is easily isolated from the rest of the world by disruptions in communications and air/sea transportation.

Surviving the storm is the easy part, its the aftermath that gets most.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Having experienced several hurricanes I will tell you this. If its a CAT. 4 or 5, GTFO of there. Do your best to protect your property and belongings take photos of everything and go far away from the storm. It is NOT worth staying through and being there in the aftermath unless you are a first responder or have something to do with the emergency and recovery efforts. If its a CAT. 3, I would strongly consider doing the same. For a CAT. 1 or 2 you can stay if your house is not in a flood prone area and its sturdy. If you stay then have plenty of cash, supplies and fuel.

This applies to any place but the more isolated the location the more I would consider leaving. I experienced the Hurricanes on the Island of Puerto Rico which naturally is easily isolated from the rest of the world by disruptions in communications and air/sea transportation.

Surviving the storm is the easy part, its the aftermath that gets most.

Yeah. I think this is analogous to avy human factors. Their neighborhood has been relatively sheltered through many hurricanes that raged around them, so they're "used" to this. They always get through with some downed tree branches and by lifting the boat up a few feet. Did I mention the boat, which is attached to a dock, which is in their back yard? The brackish / swampy water then takes you into the intracoastal water way. Again maybe five minutes by boat.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Mendieta - do you suppose the hurricane discussion should be moved into a Hurricane Florence specific thread?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My mom emailed me this morning... it's now down to a category 2, although nothing I read in the update she forwarded made me feel great. Still 30" of rain, still 6-13ft surges, etc. They're staying put. The bridge to Emerald Isle has been closed. (They're not on the island itself, so not part of mandatory evac).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a close friend who has just moved to a house in New Bern on the NC coast (with an unfinished addition), and a daughter with family living on an island that's technically part of Charleston. Both left, after wobbling back and forth between riding it out and evacuating under mandatory orders. I'm glad they left. We're all hoping the property damage in the aftermath is something they can handle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Keeping in mind that the storm is yet to hit and not projected to direct hit the northern Outer Banks of NC here is a place you can get a current report. Waves there are already estimated to be 8' - 20'+ approaching shore.

Click on www.obxsurfinfo.com then click on reports on the left side of the page. The areas at the top of the list that appears are the to the north and areas like Frisco and Rodanthe are to the south. Click on the towns with cams to see the surf (before the cameras fail) and see this mornings report.

We have a few members here that are in the path of this thing. Mr. & Mrs jgiddyup are just out of the main area of concern in southern (coastal) VA. Old boot and Lady Salina are outside of Charlotte NC where it's not going to be pretty. Not sure who else. Thoughts go out to them.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
it's not necessarily about the winds, its about the storm surge and rain. My parents home was swept off its foundation by a rogue wave and a 16' surge. The winds, over 125mph were inconsequential. Yes, the aftermath is the worst part if you survive the storm. when its 90 degrees with high humidity, closed roads, no electricity, no gas, food or water its not fun. Plus once the heat starts to create mold and stench of rotting things kicks in, its not a great experience. if you can get out, get out.....

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This is the tactic I've had to take with my parents on several things like getting a will in place, getting snow removal service contracted, etc. It's maddening. I'm crossing my fingers for your parents and hope you have enough wine available for you to calm your nerves.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, the aftermath is the worst part if you survive the storm. when its 90 degrees with high humidity, closed roads, no electricity, no gas, food or water its not fun. Plus once the heat starts to create mold and stench of rotting things kicks in, its not a great experience. if you can get out, get out.....

^This. Think mystery fungal infections and nutso pneumonia risk.

Our biggest risk will be the flooding as the Appalachians send all that inland water back out to sea. The upper end of that apostrophe storm track is going to be just as crazy as when Irene water-bombed Vermont back in 2011.