• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Hunter Mt. Trip and Meet-Up

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Today I headed up to Hunter Mt. NY for a day trip with one of the guys I ski with from my home town. Also made some advance arrangements to meet-up with one of our members @Catskill carver to meet at the six pack lift. We got out early and was able to make a few runs before the meet up. The top was all fogged in and low visibility was an issue for several runs. It was the third day out on my new skis and working to get to were I want to be on the ski and I am sure it is more about me than the ski itself. At the meet up with Catskill Carver he was their and we took the lift to the top and talked all the way to the top. He was riding a pair of Renoun 90's that looked super smooth as we skied. I had to watch them from behind because Catskill Carver with out a doubt out skied most people on the mountain and I am making five turns when everyone else is making two because I am controlling my speed. The surface was hard in the early morning and did soften up as the day progressed. We made several runs together most black diamond and some blue squares with just about no lift lines. About 12.30 I had to stop for lunch because my energy level was fading. I grabbed a quick bite and headed back out, lucky enough we did meet up again and took a few more runs with Catskill Carver. My legs gave out around 2:30 and I called it a day.

I want to say thanks to a new friend Catskill Carver for sharing a great day of skiing at Hunter and tell the pugski community what a cool member he is and to look him up if you are going to ski Hunter.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Uncle A
The pleasure was all mine to meet up and make some turns - a good time.
A great week overall at huntA turned better once the visibility came to our aid and got some spring like conditions towards the end with some good company to boot.

Paul88

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Today I headed up to Hunter Mt. NY for a day trip with one of the guys I ski with from my home town. Also made some advance arrangements to meet-up with one of our members @Catskill carver to meet at the six pack lift. We got out early and was able to make a few runs before the meet up. The top was all fogged in and low visibility was an issue for several runs. It was the third day out on my new skis and working to get to were I want to be on the ski and I am sure it is more about me than the ski itself. At the meet up with Catskill Carver he was their and we took the lift to the top and talked all the way to the top. He was riding a pair of Renoun 90's that looked super smooth as we skied. I had to watch them from behind because Catskill Carver with out a doubt out skied most people on the mountain and I am making five turns when everyone else is making two because I am controlling my speed. The surface was hard in the early morning and did soften up as the day progressed. We made several runs together most black diamond and some blue squares with just about no lift lines. About 12.30 I had to stop for lunch because my energy level was fading. I grabbed a quick bite and headed back out, lucky enough we did meet up again and took a few more runs with Catskill Carver. My legs gave out around 2:30 and I called it a day.

I want to say thanks to a new friend Catskill Carver for sharing a great day of skiing at Hunter and tell the pugski community what a cool member he is and to look him up if you are going to ski Hunter.
Hunter Mtn Is NOT ALL It's Cracked Up To Be. Their Chairlifts Even The Addition Of Their Northern Express 6 Pack & Katterskill Flyer Is NOT That Impressive. Hunter Mtn Needs To Learn To Follow The Leads Of BIG SKY Montana. Hunter Mtn Claim To Fame Is The ONLY Ski Resort In NYS That Has 2 6 Packs. Which Aren't That Impressive To Begin With. But If You Take A Look At BIG SKY Claim To Fame You Will See Why They Are In The Lead For Skiing & Chairlifts. Big Sky Has The Honor & Privilage Of Having & Owning The World's 1st Heated 8 Passenger Bubble Chairlft. *****RAMCHARGER 8*****>>>>>>>

Attachments

• 47693418_2272033853056027_617911924076680843_n(1).jpg
    47693418_2272033853056027_617911924076680843_n(1).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1

Paul88

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hunter Mtn Is NOT ALL It's Cracked Up To Be. Their Chairlifts Even The Addition Of Their Northern Express 6 Pack & Katterskill Flyer Is NOT That Impressive. Hunter Mtn Needs To Learn To Follow The Leads Of BIG SKY Montana. Hunter Mtn Claim To Fame Is The ONLY Ski Resort In NYS That Has 2 6 Packs. Which Aren't That Impressive To Begin With. But If You Take A Look At BIG SKY Claim To Fame You Will See Why They Are In The Lead For Skiing & Chairlifts. Big Sky Has The Honor & Privilage Of Having & Owning The World's 1st Heated 8 Passenger Bubble Chairlft. *****RAMCHARGER 8*****>>>>>>>

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If only "Huntahh" had a heated seat 8 pack.... I would go there to ski on my free days....

Just to ride the chair.....

If there is a sport called "chair riding? I'm IN!

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Clearly @Paul88 don't like Hunter and comparing it to Big Sky may not be a fair comparison. I don't think that the two mountains are in the same league. I wonder what the size of Big Sky is compared to Hunter and that may be what drives the investment for the 8 pack chair lift.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Clearly @Paul88 don't like Hunter and comparing it to Big Sky may not be a fair comparison. I don't think that the two mountains are in the same league. I wonder what the size of Big Sky is compared to Hunter and that may be what drives the investment for the 8 pack chair lift.

5800 acres vs. 350. So almost the same.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
5800 acres vs. 350. So almost the same.

One has over 25 million people within a 2-3 hour drive, the other has about 2,500 people within a 2-3 hour drive. More people have been introduced to skiing at Hunter than at just about any other mountain in the US. Hunter has done more for skiing than Big Sky ever will regardless of what pass it joins. And Hunter has done so in the most down to earth and unpretentious way, making skiing accessible to anyone willing to try it.

Last edited:
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Another day trip to Hunter today and the mountain is in good shape. Skied the new trails on the north side early in the morning and main mountain the rest of the morning. The only trail on the west side that was open was Wayout and it is one of my favorite. The Cliff, Hellgate, and Eisenhower were a lot of fun until they got soft and spring like conditions after lunch. Headed home around 2:30 with my legs like rubber bands. A good day all around.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January