• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How will Skiing be Different in the '20-'21 Season?

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is the anti dirtbag plan LOL! IF elasticity of demand has anything to say about how the limited lottery lift tickets are priced, I suspect us dirt bags will be very high brow dirtbags..

Ha! True enough. I did my time living off of cans of soup and a box of pasta from Costco and crashing on couches. Dirtbag plan was a blast then! Decades later I’m comfortable with not a dirtbag plan though, as is my princess wife. Lol

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How was that enforced?
I don't think very well, but I think it cut down on reservations being made as hotels weren't allowed to take reservations except for essential personnel. They had the National Guard taking temperatures at the airport and telling people this, though, so I think it kept things circumspect. I heard of people unable to get service if they had the wrong plates. Once hotels were allowed to have guests the faucet was turned on.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve been thinking of diving into the bottomless pit of winterized pickup camper on and off for a few years. This may become the year that I pull the trigger.
If you do, be sure to share here!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I bet the camper market is red hot right now! Everyone’s brother is getting one for their summer holidays.

But come September, there maybe a glut of surplus abound. Who knows...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
May have missed a discussion on this....

Has anyone discussed the impact of physical distancing on the availability of indoor seating space and sheltering?

The Oz resorts have all indicated reductions and are encouraging BYO food, picnic outside. We mostly have mild conditions however it was concerning enough for my wife that we booked on snow accom to guarantee a place for her to rest up if needed.

In USA or Canada conditions can be far harsher. To the point where shelter and warmth are not optional. Frost nip, frost bite, hypothermia. And then there's the kids "Daddy, I'm cold." In some places it's not practical to return to the car without packing it in for the day.

Any concerns?

From yesterdays' earning call, VR CEO quickly answered that they too is well aware and identified the 2 top constraints as Lifts and Food.
So as you can expect from a functioning $7B corporation; they have the risks clearly on their radar and are developing thought-through plans to maximize what they can within the constraints, whatever those may be.

Read through the other questions and answers and judge if they are running things well and making the right plans with logical decision making or if they are completely missing something.

(search for this answer to find the question)

Robert A. KatzChairman and Chief Executive Officer

Yes. I think the two places that we’re certainly well aware of potential capacity constraints; one is on loading lifts and gondolas, and to the extent that you’re maintaining social distancing between unrelated groups, that could limit the number of people that you could put on a chair, put on a gondola at any one time, and that’s certainly something that will likely be a part of the plan in Australia. Unclear whether that’ll still be necessary next winter season, but that’s one potential constraint. Another potential constraint is in food service, and the ability in terms of how many people we could have in food service, how — what our food and beverage operation will look like, that could shift as well, which I think will be the case down in Australia. And — again, hard to know whether that will still be the case next winter.

Interestingly, some of these are things that were actually implemented before we shut down our resorts and we were able to do that very quickly, obviously, probably a little bit on the clumsy side in terms of guest experience because we were so focused on the safety piece. But I think with more time, we feel like we could start to narrow these in and make sure that we could manage the capacity and the experience on all these fronts. Certainly there is impacts depending on the regulation of the restriction that could be across the board, but certainly those are the two things that I think are probably, top of mind for us right now. And I think that will be the question; even apart from capacity restrictions what will ultimate consumer travel demand be December through March of next year? And how will that marry up with any capacity constraint that we have?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
From yesterdays' earning call, VR CEO quickly answered that they too is well aware and identified the 2 top constraints as Lifts and Food.
So as you can expect from a functioning $7B corporation; they have the risks clearly on their radar and are developing thought-through plans to maximize what they can within the constraints, whatever those may be.

Read through the other questions and answers and judge if they are running things well and making the right plans with logical decision making or if they are completely missing something.

(search for this answer to find the question)

I was thinking more consumer reaction. Pretty sure resorts will be able to work out a way to respond.

Reading that transcript was like deja vu all over again. :facepalm: And people reckon ski instructors techno babble!:rolleyes:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think very well, but I think it cut down on reservations being made as hotels weren't allowed to take reservations except for essential personnel. They had the National Guard taking temperatures at the airport and telling people this, though, so I think it kept things circumspect. I heard of people unable to get service if they had the wrong plates. Once hotels were allowed to have guests the faucet was turned on.
At least they made an effort.
I’m sure it’s a little disconcerting when you’re in a town at the gateway to Glacier National Park.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We actually just bought a chalet 800 m from a resort here in the NE, basically because we figure otherwise we might have to write off the season. No way I'm going to the US. And lodge is likely to be highly restricted, so this because out plan. On the flip side with interest rates so low and people needing to sell it was a great time to buy!

Having a second home in the mountains has been a godsend for us this year. But now youth baseball is starting up so we can enjoy the 90 degree humidity at home this weekend.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
apart from capacity restrictions what will ultimate consumer travel demand be December through March of next year? And how will that marry up with any capacity constraint that we have?
Reading between the line, they’re hoping the demand will be low enough that ”capacity restriction” will not be needed...

Do *I* want to take that gamble with no recourse if the demand outstrips “capacity constraint”? That’s the question.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was thinking more consumer reaction. Pretty sure resorts will be able to work out a way to respond.

Reading that transcript was like deja vu all over again. :facepalm: And people reckon ski instructors techno babble!:rolleyes:
I cringed a little reading the Deutsche Bank analyst, asking if ”slack” in the labor pool could improve “margin” for the next 2 - 3 years. Euphemisms for there are too many unemployed people and maybe you can pay them less to be more profitable. To his credit, the VR CEO says no. They will look for profitability in revenue channels. The thought has been spoken out loud, however, and hopefully they don’t have to go there.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’ve been thinking of diving into the bottomless pit of winterized pickup camper on and off for a few years. This may become the year that I pull the trigger.
With magnetically attached plates.
I heard of people unable to get service if they had the wrong plates.
I think that post belongs here,
I mean, if you don’t know, but want to know what it feels like.

The thought has been spoken out loud,

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
With magnetically attached plates.

I think that post belongs here,
I mean, if you don’t know, but want to know what it feels like.
From the ones I read about, they were pretty triggered. Good analogy. Your money isn't good enough because ==> you're the wrong color/got the wrong license plates. Second homeowners aren't used to being treated like that.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I cringed a little reading the Deutsche Bank analyst, asking if ”slack” in the labor pool could improve “margin” for the next 2 - 3 years. Euphemisms for there are too many unemployed people and maybe you can pay them less to be more profitable. To his credit, the VR CEO says no. They will look for profitability in revenue channels. The thought has been spoken out loud, however, and hopefully they don’t have to go there.
But this has been VR business model from the start, one of its most immediate and then dependable edges from the get go. The Cub Foods or Walmart of skiing. Every time VR has acquired something, there has been a mass exodus of employees to other ski areas/ski shops/businesses. (A lot of my friends were in each exodus: from Vail, and from Colorado Ski & Golf, for instance.) VR have been very ingenious and detail-oriented in this pursuit, over years. With a thick layer of corporate-speak spread over the top. Does the leopard change its spots?
(On the other hand, a long term part of their business model, as with Amazon, is to please and amaze their customers. So with VR, their customers may well come out relatively alright.)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skiing will be different for me because my #1 ski buddy will be away at college..... spending all my skiing money hahahaha. Hoping that maybe over the holiday break we can afford to fly him home and drive up for a few laps before he goes back... assuming both are open. I suspect if colleges in the "save the economy no matter what states" close again, ski resorts everywhere will also be SOL if it's really that bad

armed&dangerous

Booting up
Skier
It looks like it is going to be a difficult year at best. I would hate to miss a season, not to many left in me I don't think. I feel bad for the industry and all the people in it, it is taking a beating. I'm am one of those ancient geezers with the goddamn preexisting conditions, but thinking positive, already set with the 20/21 Icon pass! I have access to a humungus motor home that is in storage in Utah, think that will be of any use this upcoming season?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
With some states shutting down again.... So much uncertainty...

It alwats pays to do the right thing on the front end. It will be interesting to see how ski areas respond. Based on my visit to our local ski hill the other day best practioces are just a suggestion. Not a requirement. This will likely be a business that will be shut down.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Actual skiing occurring in Australia. The 8 seater on one of the Perisher beginner/intermediate areas.
PerisherFrontValley20200627.JPG

Unfortunately Mother Nature not helping atm - even snow guns working overtime can't make up for lack of natural as they only cover the main trails.
Mt Perisher...
PerisherMountain20200627.JPG

Thredbo - all that rock strewn stuff is usually interesting skiing.
Thredbo20200627.JPG

Both these resorts are in the state of NSW. There's been a small increase in coronavirus cases (30 per day last 3 days) in the state of Victoria, more specifically in certain suburbs of Melbourne. The NSW Premier (the equivalent of a USA State Governer) is from the conservative side of politics - she was gung ho about re-opening state borders for interstate tourism but suddenly doesn't want Melbournians visiting. :rolleyes: Hey, they have 3 resorts in that state.

And so it goes...

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
With some states shutting down again.... So much uncertainty...

It alwats pays to do the right thing on the front end. It will be interesting to see how ski areas respond. Based on my visit to our local ski hill the other day best practioces are just a suggestion. Not a requirement. This will likely be a business that will be shut down.
Purg?

Sponsor

Staff online