• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How will Skiing be Different in the '20-'21 Season?

James

Out There
Instructor
Bringing the bubble down is not mandatory.
On ours if it’s windy there’s a sign at loading to lower it. If it’s cold, windy, snowy, or r**ny, people put it down. That accounts for probably 70% ? of the time. The bubble has been hugely popular for those reasons.

Mandatory is the safety bar in VT. By VT law.
I’ve never seen the lift stopped for non bubble lowering. Or safety bars for that matter. Other then if a kid fell off or their ski fell off loading, and the lift is stopped with people in air anyway. Then they tell them.
Patrol or safety people yell all the time to lower the bar.

I’ve been on a lift in Switzerland that stopped to get the people in front of us to lower the bar.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So unless you're in a family and/or Covid-bubble group of 3 or 4, the HSQ becomes a HSD. I can live with that mid-week. Most of time I would be able to have a chair to myself without being glared at by other people in the lift line. Not that I would be able to see their faces with the masks and all, but I will feel the hate in the body language. But I digress...

At busy times on weekends and holidays, it could make for long socially-distanced lift lines.

So: avoid weekends.

And avoid Big Sky. Unless they allow only one person at at time on Ramcharger.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And avoid Big Sky. Unless they allow only one person at at time on Ramcharger.
You could probably do 3 people (or 4 if two are willing to sit next to each other) on Ramcharger and still be well distanced if the bubble is up.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The reservation systems will surely put a damper on spur of the moment skiing. No looking out the window to see if Open Snow forecast was real and then decide...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't wait to see how this is all going to play out in the lift lines this year. Lifties can barely control the lines as is at some ski resorts. Wait till we have folks screaming "I don't want to ride with those people" and holding up the lines. Wait till the idiot in the single line that thinks covid is a hoax and skis in and jumps on the lift last second as the others are loading. The only way I see this "selective" loading working is to triple the number lift attendants with "bouncer" type muscle men that mean business, and it's all sorted way before the loading zone, and I don't see the ski resorts paying up for that, so it will be interesting. My bet is it will be all well intended, but wind up looking like any other year, but with a reservations system.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
How did they deal with loading the gondola?

Supposedly groups who say they live together and max of 2 strangers. In practice they were not only happy to load singles they seemed to encouraged it. Wasn't any queue the times we used it so not a problem.

Fixed it for 2020..

Not really. Built in the Aussie off-season mostly before covid became an issue. Replaced a very slow fixed rickety old dbl chair that used to take about 15-20 minutes depending on stoppages. Had to take skis off and hold them - crossed a fair bit of tiger country and anything dropped was never seen again. Now about 4 minutes BTT in luxurious style.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well this is new.

E88A1F35-58B4-4A3D-8B4E-070BF76A4CF8.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. I hope Loveland can get an exemption to keep making snow. It doesn't seem to make sense to stop because of fire danger.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Wow. I hope Loveland can get an exemption to keep making snow. It doesn't seem to make sense to stop because of fire danger.

Eldora is in this area as well. I suspect the ski resorts won’t have a problem obtaining an exemption for access, especially Loveland, which is just caught in being in Clear Creek County above treeline. But...they appear to be unable to open.

The subtext is these recent new fires are arson. There is no lightening for a natural start at this time of year.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have the same in NM. Super dry. New fire start near Angel Fire causing some evacuations. No discernable cause. Def. No lightning. Stupid humans most likely.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Communication received this AM:
However, the ski area [Loveland] is eligible for exemption and they are awaiting formal exemption documentation from the USFS. The ski area is uncertain at this time as to what will be included in the exemption. Rob [Goodell, COO] was able to absolutely confirm that snowmaking operations continue at both the Valley and Basin.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Loveland previously said they had not been able to make significant snow over last weekend and would be unlikely to be able to do so until tomorrow (Thursday). They don't anticipate opening until late October or early November. In other words, the closure probably doesn't really affect much of anything.

Sponsor

Staff online