• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How will Skiing be Different in the '20-'21 Season?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Price of ski boot sole cover/walking traction devices is going up. Supply is dwindling.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just checked the Sun Peaks job page and with opening day about 6 weeks away they have over 50 job openings including semi experienced snow cat operators, full and part time retail (one of the best jobs on the mountain) and ski instructors and lots of Food & Beverage openings. And I suspect lots of unfilled openings in all the independent shops and restaurants in the Village core and Burfield Base....that sure is different. Mostly due to the lack of Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits I would think.

All those missing Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Americans, Eastern Canada skiers, and only 5,000 passes sold is going to make Sun Peaks a 4,270 acre ghost town, mid week. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked the Sun Peaks job page and with opening day about 6 weeks away they have over 50 job openings including semi experienced snow cat operators, full and part time retail (one of the best jobs on the mountain) and ski instructors and lots of Food & Beverage openings. And I suspect lots of unfilled openings in all the independent shops and restaurants in the Village core and Burfield Base....that sure is different. Mostly due to the lack of Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits I would think.

All those missing Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Americans, Eastern Canada skiers, and only 5,000 passes sold is going to make Sun Peaks a 4,270 acre ghost town, mid week. :ogbiggrin:
You poor thing...you will be so lonely out there on the very uncrowded slopes. I feel for you, man. Need a hug?

Oh right, Covid. Nevermind.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
Hearsay, at this point..my friend who volleys W/B every year was told by a pro patroller that W/B wasn't hiring any volleys this season, kind of collaborates with the fact he was told to buy his own pass earlier
Any insight thoughts?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Taos. Limited sales of season passes, $1,600 for full unlimited.

98E503EB-EDA7-4511-B646-C16D052C1021.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hearsay, at this point..my friend who volleys W/B every year was told by a pro patroller that W/B wasn't hiring any volleys this season, kind of collaborates with the fact he was told to buy his own pass earlier
Any insight thoughts?
With few international skiers this season I suspect the skier visits at W/B will be way below the usual 2.2M visits so how much need will there be for volunteer patrol? How many eastern Canada skiers will decide to drive to Tremblant rather than fly across the country to ski W/B?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
A couple new habits to develop. I will pulling the mask down I wear during a lift ride after exiting a top lift station and finding a spot away from others to do so before skiing down. And then upon nearing lift mazes will need to stop somewhere above to push the mask back up to cover mouth and nose. While skiing into crowded base areas will likewise need to do so. While skiing on slopes will need to remember not to stop too close to others that are stopped. Will want to carry a small plastic bottle of hand sanitizer, especially when entering buildings for whatever. If my hands touched stuff like doors or whatever and then later my nose began itching while riding a lift, it would otherwise drive me nuts wondering if touching my nose with a finger might bring in virus. So yet another pocket item, yikes!

The pandemic will greatly reduce social interactions for singles as we will most often now be solo riders so I expect to be listening to music more. Any double and triples will now be solo rides. And less chatter moving through lift mazes or dawdling around near others up at the top of lifts. Since policy at Vail resorts is to allow same residence people to group up on lifts, one can expect many more that are merely friends and acquaintances will claim such in order to ride up as a group. Resorts are not in any position to try and enforce or verify that beyond an honor system for which lift maze line people go into. That will necessarily resort in a few individuals spreading the disease to others. So be it, thou gambler. On fresh powder days with gondolas, one can expect a lot more mere acquaintances will claim such if that gets them up on slopes sooner.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"How will skiing be different next season?" Skiing will be exactly the same as always. Parking will be different. Booting up will be different. Waiting in lift lines will be different. Breaks will be different......................

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
"How will skiing be different next season?" Skiing will be exactly the same as always. Parking will be different. Booting up will be different. Waiting in lift lines will be different. Breaks will be different......................

*Actual time spent skiing on a ski day?

<10%

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any insight thoughts?
I wonder about other mountains. Was told we were on. Kinda thought we might be doing more stuff as we most likely will need to clean t-bog etc between first aids. I'am sure mountain will be short staffed,

James

Out There
Instructor

<10%
You mean 10% total, or down 10%?
If total, skiing this year will be almost as bad as surfing. Lots of time out there, very little time actually doing it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Fully expect mostly empty slopes with very little changes other than limited food and beverage options. Last March we started calling the tourists "Flulanders" rather than "Flatlanders". That may be hard to change back.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

<10%

Or, if cases keep spiking and max allowed and lotteries only allow 20% instead of 50% capacity, 10% is the number of days you actually get to go out how many you wanted to go

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fully expect mostly empty slopes with very little changes other than limited food and beverage options. Last March we started calling the tourists "Flulanders" rather than "Flatlanders". That may be hard to change back.
Anecdotal reports are that pass sales are higher than they've ever been at many areas (MRG actually said as much in justifying their pass sale shutdown). I realize that may or may not translate to skiers on the hill, but I wouldn't very against it, either.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
planning on taking up surfing this year,
You mean 10% total, or down 10%?
If total, skiing this year will be almost as bad as surfing. Lots of time out there, very little time actually doing it.

I hope your mistaken but with our BC. Westcoast temps having to wait around a fire for the other 90% could be ideal.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

<10%
This might be the opposite. If the lodges are essentially closed, and big capacity restrictions are in place... the skiing for those who get out there on the mountain might be quite rich. Short to no lines, only break a quick trip behind a tree.. bring a plattypuss full of water and pocket full of sugar. Holidays will be a whole different spitshow though..

Sponsor