• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How will Skiing be Different in the '20-'21 Season?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Might as well throw a worker shortage into the 2020 mix.
Two seasons ago a bunch of exchange students got screwed when Timberline suddenly shut down. Canan thankfully hired a bunch of them to save the day. Then last year COVID shut down put them all out of work before the season was over. RIFD scanners, online ticket sales, and COVID restricted ski schools mean fewer jobs. Entire industries on either closed or on the edge of being closed again (bars, movie theaters, dine in food, etc) makes for a lot of uncertainty all around for employers and job seekers. I'm all for full opportunity for everyone from everywhere as long as they aren't ax murderers or Texans. Regardless, everyone needs to be flexible and ready to change course every time the wind shifts. Politics don't help, but it's a slow moving disaster even without the political impacts.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Im not sure why season passes are relatively cheap but the super expensive window rates continue to go up every year and it just doesn't seem to affect the number of people waiting in line to pay $180-$200 per day. Why would Vail resorts not have a $200 window rate when they have a long line of people waiting to pay it? The mystery is why do they let us on many different mountains all season for the price of a couple lift tix.

Not a mystery according to some Vail Corp stuff I remember reading back a few years. Their business plan is to own at least 50% of accom/food/whatever outlets in their resorts, get people to commit to visiting through attractive season pass pricing before the season opens (which lowers their risk on a bad season) and make money on the extras. As they point out a person buys a season pass they bring their family, and maybe their friends, all of whom spend money in the resorts. Maximise share of wallet spent on skiing....

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
From A-Basin on email today:

710F2365-6329-4B39-A1CC-02DA4E2DA8AB.jpeg
BD656999-4436-402B-AF09-0C535120B834.jpeg
FA859A94-E218-4AEA-AA61-E9034143B910.jpeg
F3372709-C40B-44D7-AA23-0F240766CC1B.jpeg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

The booting up at the car part is the "killer" for those of us that ski in super stiff race plug boots. I'm just not exactly sure yet how I'm going to pull this off, but I'm going to have to come up with something. It may be that I'm just not going to be able to ski certain boots that I cannot get in/out at the car. I'm also not thrilled about schlepping through the lot in my boots (something I never do), but of course that's a first-world problem. ;)

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Time for that first set of AT boots. This season is going to be lift served backcountry ogsmile.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The booting up at the car part is the "killer" for those of us that ski in super stiff race plug boots. I'm just not exactly sure yet how I'm going to pull this off, but I'm going to have to come up with something. It may be that I'm just not going to be able to ski certain boots that I cannot get in/out at the car. I'm also not thrilled about schlepping through the lot in my boots (something I never do), but of course that's a first-world problem. ;)

Maybe get a cheap pair of winter boots at a consignment shop / on sale / etc? Take a reusable shopping bag in with you? Smear a pair of your underwear with chocolate and put it on the top of your second hand boots to discourage theft?

At our home area I have a locker. When I go elsewhere I have been fortunate in leaving my bag in the base lodge. Never an issue.

Industry publications have had numerous advertisements for infrastructure designed for social distancing - like pop-up outdoor shelters. It will be interesting to see if outdoor lockers / bag check areas are embraced.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The booting up at the car part is the "killer" for those of us that ski in super stiff race plug boots.
^^^This begs the question: how bad do you need super stiff race plug boots for recreational skiing?