• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Josh Matta - there are still a lot of us that are clipless only. But there is a large and seem to be growing segment of the population that just plain prefer flats. I just got back from Cady hill 30 min ago and i was surprised the amount of flat pedals I saw in the parking lot.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Josh Matta - there are still a lot of us that are clipless only. But there is a large and seem to be growing segment of the population that just plain prefer flats. I just got back from Cady hill 30 min ago and i was surprised the amount of flat pedals I saw in the parking lot.

On my home turf, this flat pedal "trend" you mention has already come and gone. I almost never see them anymore, and the trend on the EWS and WC DH circuits is the same.

Personally, I think the makers of aggressively pinned flat pedals are getting a royalty from the shin pad makers. Those things can mess you up!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
On my home turf, this flat pedal "trend" you mention has already come and gone. I almost never see them anymore, and the trend on the EWS and WC DH circuits is the same.

Personally, I think the makers of aggressively pinned flat pedals are getting a royalty from the shin pad makers. Those things can mess you up!

I haven't been to the trails as much this year do to injuries. I was surprised by the flats pedals, I should have clarified that most the cars were out of state.

It very well may be region specific or just vacationers I’m seeing. My buddy in NJ mentioned he sells 2-3x more flats than clipless now.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree of the dropper. I can't imagine riding without one and won't even let friends rent a bike without one.

Clipless? I've listened to too many friend's injury stories to risk it since I'm on the crash-prone side as it is.

Never ridden a 1X so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'll rent one this summer and try it out...

1X is awesome, but I wish for a bit more granny on some of the climbs around here. Still contemplating going to a smaller chain ring (like a 30t.)

Get on a 1x12. Unbelievably good.

I’ll x2 on riding five ten shoes with pins. The technical uphill rock strikes are irritating at times, but on the balance I won’t switch.

I have no idea how I rode without a dropper.

I have also discovered that not all flat pedals grippiness is created equal. I just got some Race Face Aeffects and holy moly, those things are a lot grippier than the One Ups I had (that I returned, they sucked.) I previously ran some Deitys that were decent, but the Aeffects are like glue on my feet!

Actually. I will wear my 5tens to the trail. Sure you can get cleats for some of the models but you will still not want to wear them too much. I like that I can position my foot differently on the flat as compared to a clip less pedal.

The changing foot position makes my knees happier. I also like that I can move my foot forward more and get some more power on climbs, AND move it forward more for more stability on descents. I am WAY more aggressive and willing to attempt stuff that intimidates me (which is not hard to do) with flats than I ever was clipped in.

AND I'm clearing stuff with the Race Face pedals with ease that last year I still struggled with.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
1X is awesome, but I wish for a bit more granny on some of the climbs around here. Still contemplating going to a smaller chain ring (like a 30t.)

I have also discovered that not all flat pedals grippiness is created equal. I just got some Race Face Aeffects and holy moly, those things are a lot grippier than the One Ups I had (that I returned, they sucked.) I previously ran some Deitys that were decent, but the Aeffects are like glue on my feet!

The changing foot position makes my knees happier. I also like that I can move my foot forward more and get some more power on climbs, AND move it forward more for more stability on descents. I am WAY more aggressive and willing to attempt stuff that intimidates me (which is not hard to do) with flats than I ever was clipped in.

AND I'm clearing stuff with the Race Face pedals with ease that last year I still struggled with.

Consider upgrading to a SRAM Eagle.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider upgrading to a SRAM Eagle.
I have Eagle GX. Still wish for more granny on some climbs, or, just a slightly different gearing overall, maybe. That's the only time I miss my 2X. One climb in particular I do regularly, it's nearly impossible to catch a break.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Eagle GX. Still wish for more granny on some climbs, or, just a slightly different gearing overall, maybe. That's the only time I miss my 2X. One climb in particular I do regularly, it's nearly impossible to catch a break.

Switch to a 30t chainring already! Unless you're racing, and NEED the top end, there really isn't any downside.

Bonus: Your Fuel EX will pick up a bit more anti-squat, and feel a bit more sprightly when climbing.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
And more importantly, how wide is TOO wide, and has bar width gone the way of ski width, and gone overboard in many instances?

Mine are 750mm; I have been cutting them down to 720 until this year, when I got it into my head that "wider is better". Well, my cornering has progressively gotten worse, my downhill times are WAY off of last year, and I've had splitting headaches and neck aches almost daily. I am cutting them down to 720 tonight.

I looked at a fairly simple calculator that LeeLikesBikes has on his website (had to create a membership) and according to that, I should be at 702mm (yes, seven oh two.) Considering that 720 felt pretty damn good for two seasons, I'm going to go with that. But, it did make me realize that 750mm is WAY wider than my shoulders, and is too wide, no matter what some shredding riders say.

So, how wide are your bars? And, why?

Close your eyes.

reach out in front of you imagine grasping the bikes handlebars.

clinch a fist twice

then lay your hands on the desk in front of you.
\
Eyes closed!

Now, open your eyes and observe the distance between your hands. That should give you a clue.

eta

It's not the outside width that matters!

Do you run "climbing horns"?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I run Race Face Aeffect as well - they are super grippy and I think as you are experiencing there is a lot of confidence being in the right position (for you) on a good pinned platform. I may pony up for the Atlas because it is thinner and I do deal with more strikes than I’d like.

I think it was Pinkbike that said forcing mountain bikers into the unnatural position of being on the ball of your foot was “teaching birds to fly”, and that’s resonated with me. My knees definitely agree with yours, and while I will ride a bit more to ball of foot for JRA efficiency, I am forward on descents and a bit forward in cases of wanting more power on climbs.

I also like the blue. Killer on my ride and I had to do blue valve stems to match. It matters.

Oh, and I do clip in on my Peleton and haven’t wrecked yet despite some close calls.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Switch to a 30t chainring already! Unless you're racing, and NEED the top end, there really isn't any downside.

Bonus: Your Fuel EX will pick up a bit more anti-squat, and feel a bit more sprightly when climbing.
I could use some spritely while climbing. Now, which 30t to get??

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could use some spritely while climbing. Now, which 30t to get??

Any of them. I usually stick with the same brand as my crank.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The fewer teeth the chainring has, the faster it wears out. Maybe try a Wolf Tooth stainless to give it some longevity. If you haven't tried an oval yet, maybe now is the time!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The fewer teeth the chainring has, the faster it wears out. Maybe try a Wolf Tooth stainless to give it some longevity. If you haven't tried an oval yet, maybe now is the time!
I haven't tried an oval. I hear mixed reviews on them. My understanding is there are trade offs to them?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I haven't tried an oval. I hear mixed reviews on them. My understanding is there are trade offs to them?

Only downside I can think of is compatibility with your cranks. For example, an oval 32t needs a bolt circle the same as a 30t and may not fit on some cranks. An oval 30 would be even smaller. If you have direct mount chainrings, you'll be fine. If you have an older 4 bolt spider like I do, it's not gonna fit.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Only downside I can think of is compatibility with your cranks. For example, an oval 32t needs a bolt circle the same as a 30t and may not fit on some cranks. An oval 30 would be even smaller. If you have direct mount chainrings, you'll be fine. If you have an older 4 bolt spider like I do, it's not gonna fit.
I'll pick the shop owner's brain. He races and has mentioned a downside, but I never pursued exactly what. I'm sure something to do with speed, I'm guessing on the flats maybe...???

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While we digress, what length mtb cranks do others pedal? I went shorter thinking they would make uphill easier with the 1x11 but would prefer a little longer. The 30 tooth chairing seems about right.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
175 on gears sometimes 177.5 on single speeds. 172.5 never made more power for me on a road bike with a watt meter and was always slower on the mtb as well and I have very short inseam of 28 inches but long femurs.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
While we digress, what length mtb cranks do others pedal? I went shorter thinking they would make uphill easier with the 1x11 but would prefer a little longer. The 30 tooth chairing seems about right.

Wouldn't longer be easier? Longer lever providing more leverage and all? Longer would contribute to more pedal strikes, though.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wouldn't longer be easier? Longer lever providing more leverage and all? Longer would contribute to more pedal strikes, though.

That's what I thought too and there's the bigger is better I can squat 500 lbs so need a big as* crank attitude.

Of course there are differing opinions on google. Figured I would try shorter. There are less pedal strikes. I feel like the longer cranks gave the extra power when I needed it, as well as getting a little lift when manualing down or over an obstacle. The new drivetrain was such an upgrade from my old beat setup that I didn't notice at first, but after a year I can feel the difference.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^ interesting info. I tend to mix up spinning and powering up hills. I'm not a really fast spinner either so I've been considering a smaller ring as I generally power more than spin. I'm at 32 on a 1x11. A 30 would be cheaper than upgrading to 1x12 for the Eagle.