• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Nothing is unridable.

But for me I havent rode anything but 1x front rings since 2004..........

I also would never ride a bike with out a dropper, and with out clipless.

Agree of the dropper. I can't imagine riding without one and won't even let friends rent a bike without one.

Clipless? I've listened to too many friend's injury stories to risk it since I'm on the crash-prone side as it is.

Never ridden a 1X so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'll rent one this summer and try it out...

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
thanks. I won't be on a mtn bike this season so I sold my much loved SB5 to a friend who is racing it now on the town challenges and crushing it. The good news is all my research and experimentation payed off. As set up, he has crushed every Strava PR time he held before on his older 27.5.

Yeah, the SB5 is a sweet ride.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Agree of the dropper. I can't imagine riding without one and won't even let friends rent a bike without one.

Clipless? I've listened to too many friend's injury stories to risk it since I'm on the crash-prone side as it is.

Never ridden a 1X so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'll rent one this summer and try it out...

Get on a 1x12. Unbelievably good.

I’ll x2 on riding five ten shoes with pins. The technical uphill rock strikes are irritating at times, but on the balance I won’t switch.

I have no idea how I rode without a dropper.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I rented a bike with a drop seat mechanism. It was OK. I'm fine without it.

I have no idea how wide my bars are. They work. My bike is now 5 years old but it was last year's model when I bought it. It rides really well. I demoed about 6K worth of bike at an event last sumer. It was really nice. It wasn't 4.5K nicer than my Kona 29er.

I demoed a bike with really wide bars at a mtb event in NJ summer before last and was smacking trees left and right. They cut the trails narrow in an effort to keep dirt bikes off.

I'm a terminal intermediate rider and I plan to stay that way!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I forgot to talk about my bars. They are 780mm, but this is a 2019 bike with a 50mm stem that is designed ground up for this geometry (Specialized S-works Stumpy 27.5). The ST (short travel) version is a stupidly fast bike (130mm travel fr/rr), I’m nowhere near the rider to truly push what to can do speed wise.

I think that what’s lost about wider bars/modern geometry is what tends to also get lost in skiing discussions: air time and landings, plus rallying ugly crap while completely off the brakes (and for mtb riding in attack stance ass behind the dropped seat...the true backseat by intention).

You damn well want wide(r) bars in that mode, because you are starting to control the front end while the bike is effectively running away from you, along with stability for landings.

For what is more in the saddle riding, none of this matters a whole lot, and it’s probably reasonable to say that simply slapping wide bars and short stem on a bike that wasn’t designed for it is sub-optimal. Less a fad and more a hope to not spend another $5K+ on geometry nods to shredding technical lines without sacrificing climbing prowess.

Which is probably a long way of saying that there are legions of high end bikes being ridden on low end trails, and so some of this stuff feels wonky because slackness has a price and most people get nowhere near the top end.

And even shorter way of saying this is that the purpose probably isn’t evident at all until you are dropping ugly sh$t without any fingers on the brake triggers.

I don’t mean by this to suggest that people not address their size in relation to bar width, but more that there’s a reason most of us never access, especially given healing times these days (years).

Oh, and I am squeezing through a few spots and pay more attention to bar width, but I was never raging through really tight spots in the first place.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I rented a bike with a drop seat mechanism. It was OK. I'm fine without it.

I have no idea how wide my bars are. They work. My bike is now 5 years old but it was last year's model when I bought it. It rides really well. I demoed about 6K worth of bike at an event last sumer. It was really nice. It wasn't 4.5K nicer than my Kona 29er.

I demoed a bike with really wide bars at a mtb event in NJ summer before last and was smacking trees left and right. They cut the trails narrow in an effort to keep dirt bikes off.

I'm a terminal intermediate rider and I plan to stay that way!

The issue with a dropper, is it take practice to learn how to use it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The issue with a dropper, is it take practice to learn how to use it.
I am still getting used to mine and not adjusting near as much as I should..learing. I do miss the Nth degree of performance from the clipless but the flats are just more easier. FWIW, I loved my clipless and never had an issue with falling or them not releasing.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If you never had an issue falling from clipless then why use flats?

You still going to change your shoes to ride your bike anyways.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you never had an issue falling from clipless then why use flats?

You still going to change your shoes to ride your bike anyways.
Actually. I will wear my 5tens to the trail. Sure you can get cleats for some of the models but you will still not want to wear them too much. I like that I can position my foot differently on the flat as compared to a clip less pedal.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Actually. I will wear my 5tens to the trail. Sure you can get cleats for some of the models but you will still not want to wear them too much. I like that I can position my foot differently on the flat as compared to a clip less pedal.

Agreed.

Being clipped in keeps your foot back in relation to the pedal. Being pinned in allows you to stay more center footed on descents.

There is an awful lot of personal preference there, not unlike binding position on a ski.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you could run your cleats pretty far back.......

but again not sure hoiw standing in the center of the pedal ....also shimano pedal can let your foot rotate quite bit before releasing....

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The trail went through these trees for about 30 years. A few years ago while chainsawing a fallen tree in the area, I made more room for the bars which had been getting wider and wider. They got wider still, and the trail moved no matter how many times we blocked the B-line. The big tree on the left finally fell and now nobody can fit through there.

677E7BF0-C76A-4758-8DBC-A9C04C22281A.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
and the main trail just goes around those trees....

For how much I hate guide stone at least in our area there are very few handle bar choke points because people have been riding wide bars here for longer than most places...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
thats Tamarack right?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
you could run your cleats pretty far back.......

but again not sure hoiw standing in the center of the pedal ....also shimano pedal can let your foot rotate quite bit before releasing....

I think more simply that there is a reason a lot of downhillers prefer a pinned platform, especially with respect to certain wreck tendencies. But as you noted, if you aren’t riding in wreck prone terrain or style, it is far less of an issue.

I’ll be the first to admit that a platform pedal with pins on both sides creates a lot of strikes and those can contribute to wrecks - clipless pedals have a huge clearance advantage, particularly is width A lot of this disadvantage can be mitigated with good tactical pedaling, but some of it is just frustrating.

I know there is a lot of debate on efficiency, although anybody who is proficient clipped in should have no problem with pull back on the bottom stroke with pins so your motion is clean around the clock.

For somebody getting into mountain biking, I’d argue that at this point the pin shoes are so good that you’d need to create an argument to move to clipless as you progressed. Clearance, bunny hopping agility, long endurance rides where you felt you couldn’t maintain an efficient motion just riding along, whatever.

Because you sure don’t need to be clipped in to stay secure to the pedals in raucous terrain.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The biggest arguement I have is climbing on rough terrain. I mean honestly what is wreck prone terrain? Beside you can get your feet to the ground quicker on clipless.....WAY quicker

I mean as always need is a strong word but there is reason why majority of pro DHer use clipless and its over 95 percent at Enduro and 100 percent at XC racing. You cna justify it anyway you want but on every ride we are doing with out lifts and even the vast majority with lifts, you will be faster and more secured cliped in. If speed isnt your thing it will be easier. THe reality is I really do not care. I just think its crazy to spend 50-100 dollar on flat pedals and 100 plus on flat shoes when you can run 20 dollar SPD and 50 dollar clipless shoes have way better retention than the BEST flat combo.

WOuld love to show this to people during our planned MTB gathering but I suspect that many people would give up on it.