• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Similarly, the reach on my Gambler is shorter than the reach on my Genius...therefore I can run wider bars with keeping a similar comfort level.

I think this is an important point. A given bar will definitely feel different (static and riding) depending on the reach, That was definitely true on my bike (Scott Genius 700).

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the proper setup is a very short stem 50mm or less when used in conjunction with wider bars. oh, 780.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We still use narrow bars and bar ends. They are great for your wrists and hands, much better for climbing out of the saddle. Some fads are not improvements for everyone, but biking seems to be particularly fashion conscious.
Where DID all those single-speeds go.... :D Hey, some stuff sticks..some stuff doesn't..we'll see what shakes out. I still use bar-ends..:huh:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Mine are 750mm and I have been running that wide before wide became a trend, and now most peoples are wider than mine but I already think many tree at apex should be cut out.

My wife's are 720mm...

one thing to keep in mind for people suggesting stem length is to run a short stem, you need the Effective TT length to be longer than what your old bike with 100mm stem was on.

With that said given a fixxed ETT length, the shorter than stem the wider the bar can become.

like most thing try what works for you, and know that even pro enduro riders really dont run over 760-780 ish....

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
one thing to keep in mind for people suggesting stem length is to run a short stem, you need the Effective TT length to be longer than what your old bike with 100mm stem was on.

absolutely, if. your bike is 5 years or older, try demoing a new bike with a modern geo to feel the difference.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I did some pretty steep climbs in Park city last night and actually found myself holding my hands slightly off the end of my bars (720's) during those situations. I may have to experiment!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
just remember that when trying out bars wider than what you currently own, that they may not fit between trees you used to just squeeze through. dont learn this the hard way..... go slow :).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
absolutely, if. your bike is 5 years or older, try demoing a new bike with a modern geo to feel the difference.

do you remember about 6 years ago when I was telling you you need XL sized bike of the time to get the length right to run a shorter stem? There a couple over 5 year old bike out there that are pretty long in the top tube for fairly seat tubes, My Kona Honzo is one of them and was the trend setter.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We still use narrow bars and bar ends. They are great for your wrists and hands, much better for climbing out of the saddle. Some fads are not improvements for everyone, but biking seems to be particularly fashion conscious.

:roflmao: This puts me in mind of the Henry Petroski quote "In engineering and technology, style and fashion can play at least as great a role as politics."

I should note that he was specifically considering the case of bridges. Cantilevers are less fashionable than arches, arches are less fashionable than suspension, suspension are less fashionable than cable-stayed.

Sports gear and electronics are proven already.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yep, thats why at that time with an Ibis L which had a 25.5 ETT and then bought a Yeti SB5. Yes, there are a couple but over the past few years, there are other changes to geo that are significant beyond longer reach.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Does this mean my 4 year old bike with (horror of horrors) a 2x front derailleur will basically be unrideable soon? ogwink

Nothing is unridable.

But for me I havent rode anything but 1x front rings since 2004..........

I also would never ride a bike with out a dropper, and with out clipless.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
What?????? Dude, you need to heal and by a new one. We need you out there.

thanks. I won't be on a mtn bike this season so I sold my much loved SB5 to a friend who is racing it now on the town challenges and crushing it. The good news is all my research and experimentation payed off. As set up, he has crushed every Strava PR time he held before on his older 27.5.

Sponsor