• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada How we ended up with 17 unexpected guests

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Beware the Craigslist scam!

We do a lot with the Collegiate waterski teams. Coaching, helping with the tournaments and just making friends with the kids. We bumped into a couple of them in Olympic Bootworks by chance. They were excited by their vacation rental so the teams from four schools could all snow ski together. We were just getting up to our place at Squaw and arranged to make a few runs together tomorrow. A couple hours later, they knocked on our door. They were stuck with no where to stay.

They had set up the rental from Craigslist. Saw pictures of the house, got the address and paid upfront for it. Paid a lot (this is prime time) to a wire account. Even worked out the transportation so they had enough parking. When they got to the house, the current tenants who had a valid ski lease for the season knew nothing about their rental nor had they or the rental agency managing the property ever heard of the Craigslist contact. The wire account was closed. The kids were homeless.

The sheriff had taken six similar reports. It's sad that there are that many evil people in the world.

Seventeen kids that night! New Year's Eve, they found a party house and all moved there. The next night, the group scattered to other welcoming houses. We ended up with a few more back at our place - but a much more manageable number for the last couple days. It was an interesting time. We got closer to some friends, made some new friends and were a part of a real college education. An interesting story for all.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow. Nice of you to take them in. That sounds nuts.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aw, that's hard to hear. I've heard to avoid craigslist, but I had a friend who got scammed through vrbo last summer, to the tune of beaucoup swiss francs. I hadn't heard of a vrbo scam that big before. It was 2 weeks in Switzerland, well into the thousands of dollars. They started getting suspicious before they left, couldn't get in touch with anyone, so booked other accommodations just in case, and sure enough when they got there, either the house didn't exist or someone was in it, I don't remember. But yeah. People suck.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@SBrown A VRBO scam? We vacation rent our places through VRBO sometimes. VRBO doesn't pay us until the rental is over and the renters are satiafied. I was thinking VRBO was safe and we were planning to use VRBO for our trip to Switzerland. Any ways to protect yourself from a VRBO scam? I was telling the kids to use VRBO instead of Craigslist.

Eric

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Paying through VRBO is recommended but not mandatory. I am struggling with a VRBO rental right now, where the owner can't figure out how to finalize. Waiting till she is back in the U. S. and can make a cheap phone call to tech support. (99% sure she is legit, but I am still not paying directly. )

Also, I seem to recall there is a fairly low ceiling on fraud protection unless you buy extra insurance.

James

Out There
Instructor
I know someone who was almost scammed an apartment in nyc through craigs. Was about to pay and had someone go look at the building. The guy who went and lived nearby couldn't find it. He then saw the mailman who said it didn't exist.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown A VRBO scam? We vacation rent our places through VRBO sometimes. VRBO doesn't pay us until the rental is over and the renters are satiafied. I was thinking VRBO was safe and we were planning to use VRBO for our trip to Switzerland. Any ways to protect yourself from a VRBO scam? I was telling the kids to use VRBO instead of Craigslist.

Eric

Yeah, I'd have to ask to be certain, but I think they paid through a different outlet, maybe to "save money." So I think it is normally safe if you go through the proper channels. I think they guarantee you up to $10,000 .

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The "Basic Rental Guarantee" covers up to $1000 and applies to any booking through VRBO, regardless of payment method.
"This program is intended to provide protection against internet fraud for payments made outside the HomeAway platform."
(HomeAway and VRBO are the same company.)

The "Carefree Rental Guarantee" costs extra and covers up to $10,000, and covers a broader range of issues.

I can't find the table I once saw but I think there is an in-between level if you don't buy the insurance but do use the VRBO payment system.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, another lesson in the "never do business across unknown terrain without also checking some references" and "pay via PayPal or something else with insurance" book. Good turn to help them out and they'll remember you when it comes time to pick a waterski course/coach next time. Had they been total strangers I'd be worried they might be like those punks that trashed the Michigan resorts last year...

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kids do have life lessons to learn. But hopefully they learned that as well as bad guys, there are people that they can trust (a lot of other people did step up as well). And hopefully we can learn that as well (these were good kids). Yeah, the structural lessons (use VRBO or Pay Pal) are important and I get to learn as well (thanks for the info). But hopefully they learned that overall our society works despite its minor failings.

Eric

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beware the Craigslist scam!

We do a lot with the Collegiate waterski teams. Coaching, helping with the tournaments and just making friends with the kids. We bumped into a couple of them in Olympic Bootworks by chance. They were excited by their vacation rental so the teams from four schools could all snow ski together. We were just getting up to our place at Squaw and arranged to make a few runs together tomorrow. A couple hours later, they knocked on our door. They were stuck with no where to stay.

They had set up the rental from Craigslist. Saw pictures of the house, got the address and paid upfront for it. Paid a lot (this is prime time) to a wire account. Even worked out the transportation so they had enough parking. When they got to the house, the current tenants who had a valid ski lease for the season knew nothing about their rental nor had they or the rental agency managing the property ever heard of the Craigslist contact. The wire account was closed. The kids were homeless.

The sheriff had taken six similar reports. It's sad that there are that many evil people in the world.

Seventeen kids that night! New Year's Eve, they found a party house and all moved there. The next night, the group scattered to other welcoming houses. We ended up with a few more back at our place - but a much more manageable number for the last couple days. It was an interesting time. We got closer to some friends, made some new friends and were a part of a real college education. An interesting story for all.

Eric

Nice job on supporting the poor souls!

funnier that they just knocked on doors ... these day's I'd be fearful of meeting Hannibal or worse : )

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Eleeski

What College waterski teams you work with?

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@pete I coach the SDSU team a lot and UCLA as well. But I work at a lot of the tournaments so I know a lot of the other teams. I've been doing junior development for years and some of the little kids I taught are now in college. My son just graduated college and some of the kids had stayed with us as his guests. So they didn't just randomly knock on our door. Still, I might be Hannibal - if they partied too much!

Eric

MattL

Booting up
Skier
Never pay with a wire. That is the tell tale sign of a scam. PayPal helps, or paying with a credit card which would weed out scammers, plus give you some protection.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@pete I coach the SDSU team a lot and UCLA as well. But I work at a lot of the tournaments so I know a lot of the other teams. I've been doing junior development for years and some of the little kids I taught are now in college. My son just graduated college and some of the kids had stayed with us as his guests. So they didn't just randomly knock on our door. Still, I might be Hannibal - if they partied too much!

Eric

very cool! my kids took up with a waterski team 5 years ago. Few months back I thought about posting the loss of Skip Gilkerson .... aka Mr Show Skiing. Amazing nice and happy guy and judge at the nationals/regionals in the Midwest, I was privileged to meet him.