• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to treat a yellow base

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I wax and tune my skis myself. Up untill now, they always had black bases. Easy to spot any damage or white-ish dry spots.

Now I have skied some of the Fischer The Curv skis. They all have a yellow base. Even though I like the Curv GT a lot, I am not yet buying it, because when I inspected my demo ski, I really couldn't see any detail of the base condition when I inspected it. In full light even.

Do others have this problem with the yellow bases? And how do you manage that whil servicing your skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who you calling yellow? ;)

Same as any other color...but use clear P-Tex when repairing.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Instead of looking straight down at the base at a 90 degree angle, look down the length of the ski. Start at the tip and work your way to the tail while observing for any damaged areas. If necessary, you can also use a small flashlight to highlight the area you are inspecting.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good question! My new Fischer Ranger 115 also have yellow bases. Now I've noticed the dirt I pick up on the bases from skiing, which had alluded me before with black bases, and I obsess at removing it before waxing for the next round of skiing. But being my powder skis I only had them out 2-3 times this year and doubt I'll be as particular about them as my all-mtn and carving skis.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't have yellow bases but it seems that anything bad enough to need ptex would show up under average lighting. Hazy or unscraped sections must be tough to see but if you're going for near perfection you need to scrape and brush the heck out of them anyways. You can't usually see if you're obtaining a smooth 3 degree side bevel but over time you learn the feel of the tool without having to inspect the whole edge with a light and magnifying glass.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah shops sort of like it because it hides everything. Give me black. I wonder if ultraviolet light would show stuff.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, it is too late, but you will see base dings when you scrape (unless it is yellow wax, of course).

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will generally use more of a "feel" approach with colored bases. Run your hand down the ski...you'll feel any little bump, scratch or dry spot.

Or use black, and show off your battle wounds with pride.

Or so the foolishness doesn’t blend in as well

8DAB511C-4D7D-4825-B77E-6E4897A8D465.jpeg