• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored How To Take Great Ski Photos With Just Your Phone

https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

Are you ever browsing social media and think to yourself, "how did they get such an amazing shot?" It's easier than you think. This week on Chairlift Chat our Utah contributor, Drew, checks in with his guide to taking great ski photos with just your phone.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Are you ever browsing social media and think to yourself, "how did they get such an amazing shot?" It's easier than you think. This week on Chairlift Chat our Utah contributor, Drew, checks in with his guide to taking great ski photos with just your phone.
Good very simple rules to follow.

I shoot with both a NIKON DSLR and my iPhone. Both definitely have their advantages.

DSLR (good quality and up), lense choice, image type, shutter, f stop settings, exposure compensation. After shot software composition. The biggest draw back is size, weight and complexity.

iPhone (or other brand equivalent), small (compared to camera), easy to carry, 99% of people carry one, image quality is getting better (compared to DSLR’s), APPs compesate for lack of settings. Likely the biggest advantage is can be summed up in one simple phrase, Almost Always With You!

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don’t wear my glasses when skiing, so I take video with my iPhone and scroll through frame by frame looking for the money shots.
A good option for the MrMagoos like myself.
6EB33508-062C-4926-B01C-0207B70B6E23.jpeg

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you for posting some nice tips for "smartphone photography". I often ski with a small backpack holding my DSLR and its lens, in addition to another lens. I started taking skiing photos with a little point-and-shoot camera, several years ago, then also brought the DSLR. Since I got an iPhone in mid-2016, I started bringing that one, too. Yes, there are times when a decent photo with the iPhone suffices - and the phone photos can be sent with text messages pretty quickly to family & friends.

Sponsor

Staff online