• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I said I would post a simple and inexpensive way to measure base bevel angles. I will discuss side bevel angles measurement too. There are several tools out there that do the job well, but are in the $300 dollar range, roughly. If you have a true bar, or straight edge, you can do it for minimal additional $$. What you need:

1. Magnifying glass (depending on how your up close vision is, if over 50 you need something like these)
2. Feeler gauge that has a .010, .020, .030, .040 inch tab, or a mm one for .25, .5, .75, 1.0, 1.5
3. A good backlight

Here is my set up that I spent much less than $100 on it, including the straight edge.

IMG_20190315_184800620_HDR.jpg

Here are some graphics on what a base bevel is, for those not familiar with the term

TUNE.jpg

Snap1.jpg

Some info on the math (Trig) behind the measurement (copied from SKIMD)

Snap3.jpg

Snap4.jpg

Snap2.jpg

OK, so onto how to do it yourself. Here are my pic's of me measuring a base bevel of around 0.75 deg. Put your true bar on the base, perpendicular to the edges. Put the light behind the true bar facing the true bar and look at the strip of light coming through the gap between the Ptex and the bar. Make sure your base is reasonably flat (the light is even height and if you try to rock the bar side to side does the light change? If you can rock the true bar, your base is not flat and your measurement will be in-accurate a little. Also if your base is convex, there will be a smiley shape to the light. You are edge high then.

Notice the circle and the light coming through between the edge and true bar. That is your base bevel. If no light is coming through, you have a 0.0 degree base bevel.

IMG_20190315_184838702_HDR_LI.jpg

to measure it, make a mark on your true bar 60mm from the end. put the mark over the outside edge of your ski edge as shown below. Then rotate the true bar until the light between the true bar and edge closes off. That gap at the end of the true bar between your base and the bar is your bevel angle. Per the pictures above: 1mm (.040") gap = 1.0 deg; 0.75mm (0.030") = 0.75 deg; 0.5 mm (.020") = 0.5 deg, etc.....

IMG_20190315_184952068_LI.jpg

I have rotated the true bar and closed off the light, time to measure the gap by sliding feel gauges under the tip of the bar. I am a little off with my 60mm mark, I only have 2 hands and should correct this before using the feeler gauge.

IMG_20190315_185019480_LI.jpg

This gauge is not the right measurement, since there is still light coming through the gap.(gauge too thin)

IMG_20190315_185035635_LI.jpg

this gauge is the right one since the light is shut off. If the gauge is too thick, you will see light on the inside edge.

IMG_20190315_185039727_LI.jpg

Now, slide the set up down the ski and take another measurement. You can do as many or little as you want. It is a "specific spot" measurement. Ideally, they should all measure the same gap. When I get a ski back from SKIMD, they do. I have never measured a new ski from the factory with a constant bevel along the entire length of the ski. Some vary just a little (.25 deg) some a lot (2.0 deg). The bevel should be 1.0-0.5 deg and constant, otherwise you will notice the ski acting poorly on hard snow. Soft snow you won't feel it.

And lastly, flip the ski around and measure the other edge. And then do the other ski. Just some advice, I start at the tip, and make about 4 measurements along the length of the ski, then flip it around and do the other edge. I get 8 measurements per ski. That seems like plenty to me. Its up to you how many to make.

that all there is too it. You can check your skis after they come back from a tune and see if the shop actually put the bevel on you requested. I would estimate the accuracy of this measurement to be within 0.25 deg. If you ask for 0.5 and measure 0.75 that can be measurement error, but if you measure 1.0 or greater, its the shop.

For side bevel angles, I use my side edge sharpening tools and just match up angles visually. This will get you within 1.0 deg of what it is. I just set my tool to say 3 deg, hold it up to the side edge, then try 4 deg, and then try 2 deg. You can see what is the closest. Since you don't have a flat base to measure a gap, you can't do the base bevel approach.

Attachments

• Snap4.jpg
    Snap4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 120

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What if your bases aren't perfectly flat?

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What if your bases aren't perfectly flat?

You will loose accuracy in the measurement. Also it’s time to tune the ski.

This is a stretching, but you could measure/estimate the gap and add/subtract it from your bevel measurement.

Or a better answer is if your bases aren’t flat, your skis won’t perform well

Last edited:

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Nice. I was trying to explain basic tuning to a beginner at tuning this weekend, and sure could have used these diagrams. Side angle is easier to explain than base angle to most people, I've found.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
You will loose accuracy in the measurement. Also it’s time to tune the ski.

This is a stretching, but you could measure/estimate the gap and add/subtract it from your bevel measurement.

Or a better answer is if your bases aren’t flat, your skis won’t perform well

Well, sometimes we have skis that only flat under foot for the most part. I am okay with skis that have a bit of convex tips and tails.
Then it might be concave either way, it will affect the tune. It affects the way the skis handle.
So when doing this check, just do it where the ski is good and flat. In a concave situation as long as it is flat for the outer thirds all good too.
I do the same thing with my BEAST bar. Mark it at 60mm and there it is!
I really like your post and all the work you put into it.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I use a free CAD program for drawing all kinds of things (emachineshop.com). You can download it for free, create a machined part of any type and order that part from them. I play around with house designs in 2D mostly so they don't get any of my money. I like it because the resolution (like all digital CAD programs) is absolute. You can draw a structure 100 feet long and zero in to one little corner of it down to .001 inch. It's a great time waster for me to design things that I can never afford to build, very easy to use compared to TurboCAD or the like.

Anyway here's a visual representation of a 1 degree, .75 degree and .5 degree base angles with zero at the bottom. The top image is 1mm x 60mm.
Base angles.PNG

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
ScottB,
Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. I have skied most of my life and now find the base/edge bevel and tune information to be very important. I have always been a ski it as you got it skier. Some skis I did not like may have been skis with bad tunes only. In jest I sometimes say if one put a bevel on the front of a 2x4 I could probably ski it but it would not be much fun or perform very well. This posts and others along with the comments by other skiers inform people of what is or what should be considered important. You post helps me understand the discussion better.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big J, your welcome. If you ski in soft snow mostly, edges don't matter. When I got involved in a local race program, and skied on very hard snow, edges became a lot more important and I had to get up to speed on what mattered. Buying a ski that was un-skiable due to base bevels was an eye opener for me too. Once corrected, it became my favorite ski.

sugarloafer

Booting up
Skier
Scott, great info, very much appreciated. I especially like the tip about SkiMD. That's where I'll be going from now on for all my tuning needs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like it, Scott. Will try next fall. I expect the tricky part is evaluating the light over the edge, especially if your bench, like mine, has imperfect lighting and room for maneuver.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This revived thread got me thinking again about a better "poor man's" method to accurately measure base bevels. I've been starting back into my golf club building and remembered that I have a few digital angle gauges that I use with a golf club spec gauge to measure loft and lie angles. I thought about how I could use a digital angle gauge to measure the base bevel. What I've come up with seems to be working quite well.

I grabbed my true bar and placed it flat across the base of the ski. Then I placed the digital angle gauge on the true bar and zero'd it out (to calibrate it to the flat of the base). Then I used an Irwin Quick Grip clamp to clamp the true bar flat against the surface of the base edge. The Irwin clamps have a pivot integrated into the clamp so that the true bar is able to rise off the ski base surface and match the flat of the base edge. You can wiggle the Irwin clamp and feel that the true bar is sitting flat against the base edge. You can also shine a light from behind the true bar and see that the bar is fully seated against the base edge. What you get is a fairly accurate reading of the ski base edge bevel angle.

Here's a pic of the setup:

Base Bevel Measurement.jpg

Anyone have any concerns with this method?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Likely in Lodge now since it's 3:30 1st day. @mdf is skiing...
So I finally connected with @tball at 3:30. We did an Exhibition, a Ramrod, and another Ramrod top to bottom no-stop. Then it was 4:05 so we were done. But wait! They are still loading the chair. Bonus time! So we went up and did one more Ramrod.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
This revived thread got me thinking again about a better "poor man's" method to accurately measure base bevels. I've been starting back into my golf club building and remembered that I have a few digital angle gauges that I use with a golf club spec gauge to measure loft and lie angles. I thought about how I could use a digital angle gauge to measure the base bevel. What I've come up with seems to be working quite well.

I grabbed my true bar and placed it flat across the base of the ski. Then I placed the digital angle gauge on the true bar and zero'd it out (to calibrate it to the flat of the base). Then I used an Irwin Quick Grip clamp to clamp the true bar flat against the surface of the base edge. The Irwin clamps have a pivot integrated into the clamp so that the true bar is able to rise off the ski base surface and match the flat of the base edge. You can wiggle the Irwin clamp and feel that the true bar is sitting flat against the base edge. You can also shine a light from behind the true bar and see that the bar is fully seated against the base edge. What you get is a fairly accurate reading of the ski base edge bevel angle.

Here's a pic of the setup:

View attachment 72621

Anyone have any concerns with this method?

Grave concerns ;-)

Just because the measurement tool is digital, doesn't mean it is accurate, nor precise.

A feeler gauge is BOTH, and easily verified.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Grave concerns ;-)

Just because the measurement tool is digital, doesn't mean it is accurate, nor precise.

A feeler gauge is BOTH, and easily verified.

Please explain the actual concern. Note that the digital gauge is only providing a readout of the angle, not actually establishing the measurement. To me, this is less about the digital angle gauge and more about the method of using the flat side of the true bar clamped against the flat of the base edge. I'm not going to question my digital angle gauges as I've used them for years and they're plenty accurate for my needs.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The best way to measure base edge bevel is to use a MBAS BaseMan

It uses the method outlined in the OP, unfortunately it costs 250 euros which is probably more than most people would like to pay. Noodler’s method should work fine, I have all the bits except the clamp, when I find something suitable I will defiantly try it. If you could drill and tap some flat stock and use a thumb screw to raise it you could maybe do away with the clamp.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With so many variables if you have the file guides why not just use the magic marker/fine stone method which provides a picture of the whole running length? If you don't have the file guides what are you measuring for in the first place?