• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mateospelayo

Booting up
Skier
It isn't too easy to find good quality and modern videos about carving tips/drills.
I'm attaching this video because I find it interesting and helpful. Hope y'all like it!!!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It doesn't seem to me like those tips would be all that helpful in the long run. It might help as a drill to explore some new range if you already know what you doing, otherwise it would only reinforce bad habits, i.e. if you are a level 4 instructor with good skills, it won't hurt to try that. Just my opinion.

TS
Mateospelayo

Mateospelayo

Booting up
Skier
It doesn't seem to me like those tips would be all that helpful in the long run. It might help as a drill to explore some new range if you already know what you doing, otherwise it would only reinforce bad habits, i.e. if you are a level 4 instructor with good skills, it won't hurt to try that. Just my opinion.
Agree, but it isn't a video for beginners. I think is a video to help you improve, not to teach you how to carve.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not an instructor, but a nordic (as well as alpine) skier.

I'm always interested in the skating drills. My observation is that most people can't really skate on the flat. They just kind of waddle, with little or no glide-compress-extend cycle, This has its root in incomplete weight transfer and inadequate balancing skills. Lacking a sold skate, trying to do it downhill on a low intermediate pitch like Tomas is doing is an exercise in frustration at best.

When he did the boots-only hopping drill, his weight transfer was very brief and incomplete. I'd like to see a variation where you pause on the glide foot and bring the now-unweighted push foot over next to it. (You HAVE to do this if you pause, or you tip over, which is the point.) Think speed skater.

Once you can do this, move to skating on the flats with the same pause while gliding on a flat ski. Then a very shallow slope, etc.

The goal is to build so much one foot balance that you can afford to be patient enough for the edge angle to develop naturally under the outside ski.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tough progression imho. Outside drill was even difficult for him. His turns during that drill were very skidded. There was not much in the way of a platform.

Remember big toe little toe.

Review relationship between shoulders, hips, knees and feet. That made a big difference in my carving and edge hold. That was covered in my first and only lesson.

Never thought much about carving until I learned about it... some of the basics. I understand what the Level 4 means. I like some steepness and speed to go with it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When he did the boots-only hopping drill, his weight transfer was very brief and incomplete. I'd like to see a variation where you pause on the glide foot and bring the now-unweighted push foot over next to it. (You HAVE to do this if you pause, or you tip over, which is the point.) Think speed skater.

The next step after ^that is to get rid of the hopping and learn to fall on the new foot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Completely misses the relationship between speed, centrifugal force, and COM at play to get and keep the skis out with shoulders in and hip closer to the snow.. i.e. increased edge angle.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The fact that no one has mentioned that this is an advertisement for the "Carv" system makes me think that the marketing team has done a great job on that video.

"Step 4" is "buy a Carv and monitor edge angles"

As a progression to get someone balanced over/with the outside ski (hop to platform, skate to shape, outside ski turns) - doesn't seem bad.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think that progression is that useful to really help get bigger angles. It's more like a beginner carving thing and I wouldn't use half of it... It gets you a bit familiar with standing on an engaged ski, but bracing and hopping won't result in bigger angles. I mean look at his own angles - he's skiing a flat ski - I bet a number of posters here can get bigger angles than this guy on an average day!

A good video for bigger angles is JFB's part 3 from 2016 I think - the gravity drop. Working on the relaxation at the top of the turn is the thing that will allow one to create bigger angles.

cheers

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...and on that, there arent' many that can get big angles in SL turns, outside of WC skiing and higher level racers - and I mean hip to snow or close. On longer turns, sure, a lot of skiers have the time and balance to get big angles, but on Slalom turns I don't know that many that can get big angles - obviously these would be the guys to learn from about it.

Here's my favorite WC free skiing vid as a reference:

The Projected boys certainly can lay it down

...then there's bad boy Greg - used to post here:

... there's "Blue Jacket" - hip to snow is his natural state of being...

I guess it's important to set your expectations right when you hear "big angles" ogwink

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The fact that no one has mentioned that this is an advertisement for the "Carv" system makes me think that the marketing team has done a great job on that video.

Ah...the market economy is a wonderful thing - as the CARV folk point out in the youtube comments they provide some free ski tips (the hook to get us watching) and promote their product. All at the same time. Good luck to 'em!

I don't think that progression is that useful to really help get bigger angles. It's more like a beginner carving thing and I wouldn't use half of it... It gets you a bit familiar with standing on an engaged ski, but bracing and hopping won't result in bigger angles. I mean look at his own angles - he's skiing a flat ski - I bet a number of posters here can get bigger angles than this guy on an average day!

This may well be correct. The question is: will it help any of us get bigger angles?

...my favorite...

Some good clips there. Have to say that whilst Greg and Blue Jacket get plenty of performance out of their skis that looks like an exhausting way to ski. Recall Greg posting that he can only keep that up for a couple of hours per day despite spending a lot of time in the gym. It's certainly performance skiing. Sustainable all day every day into advancing years I'm less sure.

Here's a few of own favourites:
Tobin can set 'em on edge pretty well considering he's no spring chicken. It's a promo for his P2P Vol3 which is a very good edu vid for developing carving - from carving starters to those seeking to lift performance.

Could be the only ski tips vid Guy Dale uploaded. Wish he'd do some more.

Ski tips in a Minute have some solid pointers. Like this one.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah...the market economy is a wonderful thing - as the CARV folk point out in the youtube comments they provide some free ski tips (the hook to get us watching) and promote their product. All at the same time. Good luck to 'em!

This may well be correct. The question is: will it help any of us get bigger angles?

Some good clips there. Have to say that whilst Greg and Blue Jacket get plenty of performance out of their skis that looks like an exhausting way to ski. Recall Greg posting that he can only keep that up for a couple of hours per day despite spending a lot of time in the gym. It's certainly performance skiing. Sustainable all day every day into advancing years I'm less sure.

Here's a few of own favourites:
Tobin can set 'em on edge pretty well considering he's no spring chicken. It's a promo for his P2P Vol3 which is a very good edu vid for developing carving - from carving starters to those seeking to lift performance.

Could be the only ski tips vid Guy Dale uploaded. Wish he'd do some more.

Ski tips in a Minute have some solid pointers. Like this one.
Good skiers for sure, but they are not doing slalom turns but more like glalom/GS across the slope - not the same thing... The last one is not bad - I don't know him... but he's specifically doing and talking longer turns - hence the title of the video... While the middle one says "big turns" - I guess they both know what they're skiing.... :P

Uh... It's not as exhausting as it may look, depending what you ski, although I guess if you want performance you have to put up with it. I know Greg skis with big angles all day, even after slaying the steep icy runs at hip-to-snow. Blue jacket skis with big angles all the time out of the trees and he doesn't do this thing you call gym. The trouble is that once you get there, skiing at the "normal?" angles is not that much fun anymore, I guess...

If it's steep and hard, you have to put up with a lot of energy, so generally the way they tend to back off is by skiing more mellow terrain, I guess.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Looks regimented. But I suppose for demonstration purposes that's why. I'd like to see those angles off piste.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good skiers for sure, but they are not doing slalom turns but more like glalom/GS across the slope - not the same thing... The last one is not bad - I don't know him... but he's specifically doing and talking longer turns - hence the title of the video... While the middle one says "big turns" - I guess they both know what they're skiing.... :P

Uh... It's not as exhausting as it may look, depending what you ski, although I guess if you want performance you have to put up with it. I know Greg skis with big angles all day, even after slaying the steep icy runs at hip-to-snow. Blue jacket skis with big angles all the time out of the trees and he doesn't do this thing you call gym. The trouble is that once you get there, skiing at the "normal?" angles is not that much fun anymore, I guess...

If it's steep and hard, you have to put up with a lot of energy, so generally the way they tend to back off is by skiing more mellow terrain, I guess.

Restricting it to big angles in slalom turns could be seen as rather harsh - as you say it's not so often seen outside WC.

Exhausting? I guess it depends on youth and flexibility. The decades take their toll. In any event it's all relative. Getting more performance from the ski with bigger angles is fun and we're all at different competencies.

Probably thread drift however I've not see much vid of Greg skiing bumps. There's an early one from about 6 years back which has a few seconds of bumps. That seems a very crouched over style with high spinal loading.

Is it necessary to ski so crouched?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Restricting it to big angles in slalom turns could be seen as rather harsh - as you say it's not so often seen outside WC.

Exhausting? I guess it depends on youth and flexibility. The decades take their toll. In any event it's all relative. Getting more performance from the ski with bigger angles is fun and we're all at different competencies.

Probably thread drift however I've not see much vid of Greg skiing bumps. There's an early one from about 6 years back which has a few seconds of bumps. That seems a very crouched over style with high spinal loading.

Is it necessary to ski so crouched?

Do you want to make your point more clearly? Or are you still looking for ways to say those grapes are sour? :geek: it's exhausting, why just short turns, it's not for older people, only if you have a gym membership, just WC skiers and...

What does skiing bumps have to do with big angles?

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Looks regimented. But I suppose for demonstration purposes that's why. I'd like to see those angles off piste.

Here's a good example. No, the angles shown in the off-piste aren't quite as big as on the hard pack, but trust me that Greg can do so when he wants to and when it is appropriate for the task at hand.

BTW - The skis used in the groomer zooming shots are not the same as the skis in the off-piste shots. Really big difference between them (like almost 30mm of waist width).

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Greg 6 years back isn't Greg today (or even a couple years back). Sure I'm stating the obvious, but it needs to be said.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Greg 6 years back isn't Greg today (or even a couple years back). Sure I'm stating the obvious, but it needs to be said.

Any recent bump vid? Groomer skiing is still compact. (Don't get me wrong - it's high performance skiing but not necessarily what I can or would like to copy in the same way I can't and don't want to copy Kingsbury's bumps.)

BTW there's a new youtube clip of a certain skier in a recent laid back run. May be a mellow run but it plain awe inspiring that the skier had a hip replacement in early Sept just past.:geek:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Here's a good example. No, the angles shown in the off-piste aren't quite as big as on the hard pack, but trust me that Greg can do so when he wants to and when it is appropriate for the task at hand.

BTW - The skis used in the groomer zooming shots are not the same as the skis in the off-piste shots. Really big difference between them (like almost 30mm of waist width).
Smooth, I like his style& skills.

Sponsor