• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to Get Rid of a Stem Habit

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Would this have to do with too narrow a stance? I've been working on that, too.

I read it a different way. Having a platform to push implies that the skis are tipped on edge. If they are flat in transition, an attempt to push them would either make them slip or make you taller, neither of which is a stem. Maybe Bud can clarify.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Whipping the stem is at the heart of the curriculum of just about every ski instructional progression or branded ski lesson outfit. From making that jump from level 6-7 to 8 and above in PSIA, or Lito's 'Breakthrough', or Harb's original wedge blocker, or whatever the CSIA point of stem-free evolution is. And for good reason, it is the biggest stumbling block(as you've deduced for yourself) for intermediates looking to progress and start to get some of the smoothness on 3D terrain that they think they have on groomers.

All these approaches are good, all have their trajectories and methods and all have their innumerable success stories. I think the best and most direct is John Clendenin's approach for shedding the stem (as whipping the stem is almost his entire focus) and his e-book is a pretty good place to start. I always liked his adage that you can't stem a ski your standing on.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe I should read it. I at least feel better knowing I'm not alone in what's holding me back. I made a comment to @Monique earlier that I would like a ski nanny. An instructor to ski with me every time I ski so I don't revert back to old habits between lessons!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe I should read it. I at least feel better knowing I'm not alone in what's holding me back. I made a comment to @Monique earlier that I would like a ski nanny. An instructor to ski with me every time I ski so I don't revert back to old habits between lessons!

That doesn't work. Pretty soon, the instructor gets bored, then they just point and laugh when you ski dorky again.
:roflmao:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That doesn't work. Pretty soon, the instructor gets bored, then they just point and laugh when you ski dorky again.
:roflmao:
That might work very well for me, because if I am laughing, I can't be tense :0

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
One word: PERPENDICULAR. You need to become perpendicular to the slope you're on during the transition from one turn to the next.

I work on this using sensations from the bottoms of the feet. If you can feel the whole bottom of each foot at initiation, you're starting with feet/boots/skis flat on the slope and you can engage both new edges simultaneously.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All technical problems stem (no pun intended) from balance and edge feel issues. Don't have these it becomes more difficult to learn or fix an issue. I cannot give you the best solution as many here already are, what I can add is work on your balance and edge feel.

My biggest jump in ability was when I was taught 360 spins as the addressed in one format both. Once I understood, both to some degree, all other skills came a lot quicker as I was not learning the skill, balance and edge feel but just the skill.

Stemming one sided is more common than one thinks and it happens because one side is always stronger. Because of that you don't correctly set the edge and instinctively stem to get it to set. Lack of edge feel.

So besides all the good advice already, work on the basics balance and edge feel, you may find that the stem may disappear unexpectantly through a seemingly unrelated drill.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is all really great advice. Thank you all so much. I really need to get out on my Kastles (I have the LX82 with a fresh tune from a good shop) and work on this stuff.

To add to the question, I literally CANNOT ski flat on my left ski without it turning inward. If I stand on my left ski on a super gentle slope, I'll end up literally doing a 180. This does not happen on my right ski. This seems like a rather large issue to me. I do have 1 degree canting plates on my left boot, which helped a little. So, more canting needed maybe? Also, if my base of support is not balanced due to alignment issues, then am I going to continue beating my head against the wall until I get it fixed?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This is all really great advice. Thank you all so much. I really need to get out on my Kastles (I have the LX82 with a fresh tune from a good shop) and work on this stuff.

To add to the question, I literally CANNOT ski flat on my left ski without it turning inward. If I stand on my left ski on a super gentle slope, I'll end up literally doing a 180. This does not happen on my right ski. This seems like a rather large issue to me. I do have 1 degree canting plates on my left boot, which helped a little. So, more canting needed maybe? Also, if my base of support is not balanced due to alignment issues, then am I going to continue beating my head against the wall until I get it fixed?

More canting, maybe. At one point (I don't recall whether it was these boots) I had a 3* cant.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Sounds like it's time to start experimenting, AmyPJ ...and drag your instructor and/or boot fitter along with ya if ya can ...but if you cannot, do it anyway...

Pretty easy to put a couple pieces of shim material under the inside edge of your left boot as an experiment to test if additional canting will help. Experiment inside the boot as well building up support on the inside edge - get out the tape and cut some cereal boxes up ...or whatever...

How is your fore/aft alignment? Yeah, I know you're talking left/right ;) Experiment with adding shims under your toes and heels to see if anything changes. Also, different binding/ski combinations will change this - potentially a lot; and with greater effect if your BSL is short.

How's the balance on a flat surface standing on the left foot? How about while standing on your footbed? What's different when you are in your boot on the flat surface? What's different when you are in your binding on the ski?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like it's time to start experimenting, AmyPJ ...and drag your instructor and/or boot fitter along with ya if ya can ...but if you cannot, do it anyway...

Pretty easy to put a couple pieces of shim material under the inside edge of your left boot as an experiment to test if additional canting will help. Experiment inside the boot as well building up support on the inside edge - get out the tape and cut some cereal boxes up ...or whatever...

How is your fore/aft alignment? Yeah, I know you're talking left/right ;) Experiment with adding shims under your toes and heels to see if anything changes. Also, different binding/ski combinations will change this - potentially a lot; and with greater effect if your BSL is short.

How's the balance on a flat surface standing on the left foot? How about while standing on your footbed? What's different when you are in your boot on the flat surface? What's different when you are in your binding on the ski?
This is where I'd start

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks, Chris!
My boot fitter says he wants to come up and ski a run or two with me, but I don't know when that will ever happen as the guys is just ridiculously busy. I can at least share the video with him that I got from my lesson.

He did a full analysis of fore/aft and we determined it's really going to come down to shimming under the bindings (which we might do with the Sambas as they have a pretty steep ramp angle.) I do have heel lifts inside the boot next to the boot board to help align my leg better inside the boot which does in fact have a very short BSL. Having them in there does make a profound difference. My other skis bindings are all fairly flat. I'm still trying to determine which feels better to me--flatter vs. more angled. The steeper angle makes my quads tired so I'm thinking flatter is better. But I so far am enjoying the Sambas the most but it could just be because those skis are a good length for me and just a super solid ski.

I definitely have better right foot balance than left when standing on a hard surface in socks. I'll try it in the boots later. In the past, I definitely feel a difference between the two when in boots hence the canting.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Good luck Amy!

Might be worth exploring with your boot fitter the difference between stuff inside the boot vs stuff outside the boot as they do different things i.e. heel lift in boot is not the same as heel lift under the boot. Nice thing about experimenting is you can sort the differences out for yourself; boot fitters are great, but they rely on your feedback also and the better in tune you are the better you can share with them what you need :)

I'd be curious if you can find stability on the left foot on the floor on your footbed then put it back in the boot with those changes to see how that works.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know, I know, civil war leg saw - in poor taste...but it would get rid of a stubborn stem habit.

Civil war leg saw.jpg

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL Oh, Dave. Yes, I suppose that would fix the habit!

OK, I am swallowing my pride and have downloaded a snipped of my lesson. This was taken BEFORE we did the drill where he had me actively pushing with the soon-to-be-outside ski which had me immediately making shorter radius, "snappier" turns (and it was fun!) Watch what my skis do after maybe 1 minute, when I stop turning and coast. The left one is just all over the place. In addition to so much else, including my right arm which is just out of control and I don't know why.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Over all didn't look too bad. One question, when you stand normally (without boots) are you knees inward? I think your issue starts with your stance. Fix this first before more boot work as the boot work may hinder further development. A good instructor should be able to advise here.

Spread your knees (rotate outwards from hip) a bit, don't change your feet position, should flatten things out. Also rear slightly up and forward (thinking this should likely be enough for the right amount).

Had to make an edit after viewing it on the desk top.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One more comment, it looks like you are a little uncomfortable in letting the skis float (shimmy) which IMHO is a very neutral stance.

Best suggestion here is look at a true very flat run and go straight, come back and look at your tracks to give an indication of you stance. Skis parallel not plowed.

How the snow is moved tells a lot.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Having just enjoyed a week long powder cycle & looking like we will be entering another tonight, I haven't had much time for the internet ;):snow:.
I have skimmed through this thread & see some really good suggestions as well as a few mis-interpretations. I will keep it quick for now.

Use your powder skis for a lesson if it is a powder day & your plan is to ski powder, otherwise stick with the tried & true. "don't take a knife to a gun fight".

There are different types of stems & they can be a great tool or tactic in the right situation but as a technique, not so much.
The keys to eliminating the habitual 1-2 movement or up-stem are:

*Inside Leg Steering
*Early weight transfer
*Patient Turn Entry
(I think all of the above have been mentioned already , so just reinforcing)

As Bud said, you can't stem if you don't create a platform. The Upstem is usually the result of an abrupt pressure build up & edge set at turn completion which in turn, creates the platform of which he speaks & allows the sequential, rotary push-off & stem.

I began writing this in the morning before I saw your video but I would say that it all still holds true. Leaving the boot balancing out of the equation for now, my experience tells me that the stemming I see in the video is like a security blanket. IE, hanging on to the stability of the old edge engagement until you are comfortable with the way the new ski is turning... then & only then, are you willing to commit your balance & pressure to it. As a result your turns are a bit choppy & un-connected. It just doesn't have that rhythmic sensation you get when things are working well. When you platform & stem off the old turning ski your weight transfer is late in the turn so you cannot regulate pressure smoothly & progressively.
Learn to shift your balance & pressure onto the new turning ski before the direction change even begins, be patient & not only will your turn shape become more symmetrical but the stem will disappear! This new movement will require a leap of faith on your part so learning it on terrain & snow that is well within your comfort zone is paramount.

I have been a stem/stepping fool for most of my skiing life, partially due to crappy equipment & partially due to the technique of the day. The 3 keys I listed above were what helped me most to work toward becoming a parallel skier. YMMV
:beercheer:
JF

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Over all didn't look too bad. One question, when you stand normally (without boots) are you knees inward? I think your issue starts with your stance. Fix this first before more boot work as the boot work may hinder further development. A good instructor should be able to advise here.

Spread your knees (rotate outwards from hip) a bit, don't change your feet position, should flatten things out. Also rear slightly up and forward (thinking this should likely be enough for the right amount).

Had to make an edit after viewing it on the desk top.

I am very knock kneed. I will try to think about rolling my knees out a bit on the flats to see if it helps.

@4ster, thanks for the well thought out response! Craig and I specifically worked on inside leg steering and early weight transfer. He told me to keep working on it, and that it could take a good amount of time for new habits to take hold. (This video showed a remarkable improvement from the first run of the day, and my run after this one was even better.) I think I need to lower my expectations for the season because it's frankly killing my enjoyment out there. I'm so focused on getting better that I'm not even really enjoying myself, which is stupid. I WILL be taking more lessons, however. :)

The intermediate plateau is :doh: and :huh: and :poo:

James

Out There
Instructor
Do your skis feel unstable or shakey in general on groomed? As in the video.

Sponsor

Staff online