• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to Get Rid of a Stem Habit

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a wonky right leg. I stopped caring. It worked.

Years ago (about 37) broke the tiba playing soccer and it was never aligned correctly, so the ankle and knee are definitely out of alignment. While any number of corrections can help, it does take a bit of time to build up strength so that you are back to normal.

Just work on rolling side to side, it will get there. Confidence is a big thing don't under rate it as it a background issue that is hard to see. Just keep working at it and all of a sudden you'll realize the skiing issue is gone (unless you'll got some serious help and support it can take a couple of years, don't worry about it. By the time it's corrected you have mastered this and several other skills (because of it) and be that much better.

Alright, you two, I'll keep plugging away and try to stop caring so much AND being so fearful! I keep going back and forth: "The boots are causing my issues, I'm the cause of my issues, my confidence is causing my issues, my busted up knee is causing my issues." I'm going to continue to try to work to make those turns stronger, but also continue to just enjoy myself!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another drill you may not like;) on a bunny hill ski on one ski and do all your turns. Not as easy as it sounds as now you have to focus on your wt shift and balance. You'll be surprised at what's difference this makes on edge feel and confidence.

Just make sure it's an easy slope and don't over do. BTW no cheating and touching down with the skiless boot or poles.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alright, you two, I'll keep plugging away and try to stop caring so much AND being so fearful! I keep going back and forth: "The boots are causing my issues, I'm the cause of my issues, my confidence is causing my issues, my busted up knee is causing my issues." I'm going to continue to try to work to make those turns stronger, but also continue to just enjoy myself!

It's not you, don't blame yourself, it's just the safe sane hinter brain that whispers into your ear.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another drill you may not like;) on a bunny hill ski on one ski and do all your turns. Not as easy as it sounds as now you have to focus on your wt shift and balance. You'll be surprised at what's difference this makes on edge feel and confidence.

Just make sure it's an easy slope and don't over do. BTW no cheating and touching down with the skiless boot or poles.

I have never done this drill, but I have seen it and marveled at it. I have a feeling it will be an epic fail, but should be fun to try it! Thankfully, Snowbasin has two really long, almost flat runouts for me to practice this stuff on. Of course, it's much easier during a quiet weekday, but I'll play with it!

It's not you, don't blame yourself, it's just the safe sane hinter brain that whispers into your ear.

My sane brain SCREAMS into my ear :rolleyes: I've had two instructors now figure out I have a very aggressive side hiding away, so, in my last lesson, I was told to "find that inner warrior" to go ski some chopped up powder of various pitches. So, I get all aggressive UNTIL I almost eat it TWICE, then the chicken sh*t takes over again. It's extremely difficult for me to turn that off. The more I master a movement successfully, and the more I master different conditions successfully, the less it's a factor. (Obviously, right?)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
keep going back and forth: "The boots are causing my issues, I'm the cause of my issues, my confidence is causing my issues, my busted up knee is causing my issues."

I'm going to remind you of what Patrick said to me last weekend when I asked which was holding me back more - the mental or the physical - and which I should work on. He said there are mental, physical, and emotional components to skiing, and working on any one of them strengthens the other two.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
**brain spinning** What should I work on tomorrow? I'm thinking physical. The timing is good with the lack of new snow and sunshine.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
**brain spinning** What should I work on tomorrow? I'm thinking physical. The timing is good with the lack of new snow and sunshine.

That's why I got that private lesson yesterday. I figured, with conditions so crappy, it was an excellent time to work on fundamentals (and not feel like I was missing out).

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, your skiing looks good to me. So much is going right. Just go skiing and have fun for a couple weeks. Keep smiling.

IMO, you are too focused on perceived problem with your right leg. Change focus to making the stronger left leg work as cleanly as possible. The issue I am seeing in your second pic is that the left leg is not releasing first. Left leg goes left, you make a left. That's not happening in the correct order. Maybe work in some garlands on little cat... $.02

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I couldn't find garlands on cats, but here are cats on garlands:

Spooky-Cats-645x645.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Little cat is a detachable quad that serves the bunny hill at snow basin.

Ooooh. Okay, that sentence makes more sense now.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Amy, I wear an ACL brace on my right leg. Its function is to keep me from moving that knee to the side just as I need to for right turns. It resists that movement. I have a stem or a wedge or something. I had a lesson with The Rusty specifically to work on overcoming that, then was off skis for two years. It's baaaaaccckkk. And it's annoying.

I have no solutions, just sympathy. I feel your pain. Have faith ... you can fix, or learn to live with, this.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, your skiing looks good to me. So much is going right. Just go skiing and have fun for a couple weeks. Keep smiling.

IMO, you are too focused on perceived problem with your right leg. Change focus to making the stronger left leg work as cleanly as possible. The issue I am seeing in your second pic is that the left leg is not releasing first. Left leg goes left, you make a left. That's not happening in the correct order. Maybe work in some garlands on little cat... $.02
Thanks, @tromano, this means a lot coming from someone who actually SEES me ski. :D I'm actually seeing the same thing--the left leg is holding on too long. Smooth, round turns, smooth, round turns...
I can work on garlands tomorrow for sure, although maybe not on a Little Cat ;) because I'll be skiing with the small people (aka my daughter and some friends) and she wants to ski Wildcat Bowl, over and over and over.

And, there's a couple inches of fresh snow this morning. What a nice surprise!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to remind you of what Patrick said to me last weekend when I asked which was holding me back more - the mental or the physical - and which I should work on. He said there are mental, physical, and emotional components to skiing, and working on any one of them strengthens the other two.
Or use Weems' Sports Diamond.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Or use Weems' Sports Diamond.

I searched the forum and found the diamond below (Tricia quote from a different thread). Thing is, "mental, emotional, physical" speaks clearly to me. Weems' diamond doesn't, and I spent some time thinking about it when I saw it discussed before.

But ... that doesn't mean it won't speak clearly to Amy, which is more to the point :)

@Wade I've been thinking about this, along with @bud heishman 's thread T.E.P.P.
I think the mental game comes into play when you begin to realize all of the pieces of the puzzle that come together.

I remember when we were skiing with @Weems Westfeldt and used his sports diamond (which nolo related to her golf game as well)
The four corners are
Power
Purpose
Will
Touch.

Usually you're implementing one of those 4 things when you're skiing. With Bud's TEPP, you're utilizing all of the principles in skiing at once.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL! You are living too close to WA, I think! Haha!

I will say, the "emotional" diamond speaks to me more, being a highly sensitive thinker as I am.

And, today was challenging for me with 5" of REALLY dense "powder" and I am pleased to say, I did damn good in it!! Right boot is still pissing me off, frankly, but I tried to work around it and found I was doing OK. I found the warrior inside and didn't let it scare me. I like skiing alone, too, on days like today. Just me and the mountain.