• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Josh was convener on a 2 day CSIA L2 course I did 2017. (Short vids are not quite the same...) Establishing BoS through lifting toes was the very first thing he went through in the course. I expect you and he would agree although I do have a question - see below.

If I understand correctly, Josh's point in the second vid re "... almost like I'm pressing heels down..." is that feeling when the heels are properly engaged as one of the pillars.
YES. in ski boots, heels are supposed to remain firmly planted on the footbed.
Will be seeking that feeling next time I'm on skis!
The bit I have the question about is this:
I'm trying to visualise this as forces from shin contact (pushing on front of boot as per JB) and I can't get any of the force vectors to act through the ski center. Or do you mean something different?

I am not exactly clear what you are asking. The Center of the ski is under the toe of the boot. Since it is forward of the center of shape (the waist of the ski), any pressure applied there will be forward biased and will get the front of the ski bending. If we were without boots, we would have to raise our heel to rock on our toes and apply pressure just like Josh shows walking up the hill in his video. It is the design and function of the boot to receive pressure (shin to tongue contact) delivered by the flexing of the ankles, knees and hips and transfer that energy though the boot shell and downward at the toe of the boot. Make sense?

This is totally opposite of how we deliver pressure with our feet off skis. That's why, when in our boots, we can lift the toes.

See in BLUE above

Sponsor

Staff online