• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How To Clean Pitch & Sap From A Ski Base

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
You don't ever want to wax a ski with sap or pitch on it. It needs to be removed.
Sometimes without a re-waxing.
Here's how I do it. Video.
Chime in with your cleaning methods regarding sap and pitch.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Jacques always does things the old fashioned, hard way.
Uncle Rob has a much faster and more efficient method.

Wow, that's a very constructive addition to the thread!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Thanks for posting @Jacques!
Couple of comments. Swix Glide Wax Cleaner, IMO is just magic. My son gave me some. He's an alpine coach, and a couple of years ago one the nordic techs turned the alpine techs at his program onto it.

I'd reach for denatured alcohol, too, and try to get in on and off the base as quickly as I could. This past summer I had to remove quit a bit of sap from one of our cars. Obviously the finish on a car is harder and different than a ski base. Still, I wanted to remove it with the least aggressive stuff that I could use. One of my neighbors is an older, old school car collector.

His suggestion was Mineral Oil. Worked like a charm once it "got to" the sap....into it. I figure that if you can put it in your body, can hurt clearcoat, and might not dry out a ski base.

Haven't had this happen to a ski in a few years, but last time I remember thinking "now that's a pain in the ass...."

Thanks.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Nice rags/wipes what exactly are they and where can I get some?

I'll have to get that info. They don't shed lint, One can use fiberlene as well, but the wipers way thicker and absorbent.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thanks for posting @Jacques!
Couple of comments. Swix Glide Wax Cleaner, IMO is just magic. My son gave me some. He's an alpine coach, and a couple of years ago one the nordic techs turned the alpine techs at his program onto it.

I'd reach for denatured alcohol, too, and try to get in on and off the base as quickly as I could. This past summer I had to remove quit a bit of sap from one of our cars. Obviously the finish on a car is harder and different than a ski base. Still, I wanted to remove it with the least aggressive stuff that I could use. One of my neighbors is an older, old school car collector.

His suggestion was Mineral Oil. Worked like a charm once it "got to" the sap....into it. I figure that if you can put it in your body, can hurt clearcoat, and might not dry out a ski base.

Haven't had this happen to a ski in a few years, but last time I remember thinking "now that's a pain in the ass...."

Thanks.

The mineral oil isn't going to hurt a ski base, but if I used it, I would still clean it the same way after that. So it would be another step.
Even then, I'd be concerned about wax adhesion after using the mineral oil.
Swix Glide Wax Cleaner is the bomb! I have not hot scraped a ski in many years now. :daffy:

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I would not use such a product on a ski base. Good chance to get it super dried out worse than Toko HC3.
If I had to remove sticker glue from a topsheet, then I would use the Toko HC3 anyway.

Agree 100%. We use 3M adhesive remover for all sorts of things. Have used it on cars and boats in particular since it was developed. I probably have 3 gallons right now.

I've used it on skis to go things like remove the adhesive left by plates stripped of skis. Or to remove a name written in Sharpie. But I would never go near a base with it. Just my thought.

Done a lot of high end sailboat racing on my life, and have worked with most every solvent. Not many that I would put near a race ski base.

And yes, Jacques, I'f clean every bit of Mineral Oil off, too!

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
For pitch & sap on bases, I usually use some alcohol. Plain 'ol rubbing alcohol. Alcohol based hand sanitizers can work pretty well too; because they are like a gel, it's easier to place the stuff just where it's needed.

I'll drip/spread some alcohol over the 'sapped area, let it sit for a bit & then wipe it off. I'll let the area dry for a half hour or so because there's usually some water in rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. Then I'll follow with a hot scrape or two & re-wax. Works for lift pulley grease too.

There have been a few times for me when alcohol won't work on a particular type of sap. Can't remember what type it was.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Ski season is on for a few. Even then snow is shallow. You might hit some sap. Check your bases BEFORE you wax and after you get done skiing! Bump!
See top of post. Or check here!