• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Well op is looking for a shop, not DIY. Interesting that the only recommendation so far has been skiMD. Would think there are some competent race shops somewhere between Boston/Franconia/Lebanon
SkiMD (Framingham, MA)
Artech (Enfield, NH)
Edgewise at Skinner's in Sunapee, NH is good, but not the same quality as the original Edgewise in Stowe

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with the above poster that says to post your location as we have a large population that may be able to assist you in narrowing down choices. For example, I have a great shop a mile from me but it's small and out of the way so many people don't even know it exists.

His profile is NH Seacoast. That is pretty specific. 18 miles, specific. ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The results on the ski are what count. You have to consider that ski service is like dealing with a contractor. You can tell them the results you are looking for but don't question their methods. You don't really need to know how they do it as long as they do a job that is good and up to your expectations.

Leaving aside places like SkiMD, if you want it done right, do it yourself. Not only is it ultimately better for your wallet, you'll also save time carting skis back and forth, plus the pick up drop off interaction time filling out forms or waiting on line, but you'll also learn what you like, KNOW 100% WHAT THE TUNER JUST DID TO YOU when the skis feel funny, and you'll be able to control exactly the areas where you increase the base bevel or detune or increase the size bevel. Because until you are doing it yourself, you are always at the mercy of the tuner, his/her INTERPRETATION of your instructions and needs, and whether you left them a six pack.

You haven't seen some of the results of home tunes that I've seen. You'd be amazed at what an home tuner can do to their bevels. Don't get me started on (not) flat bases.

Apart from grinding the base, can a person at home tune a ski and really get the edge angles correct so that it compares to a job that is done by an experienced shop with specialized machines? My gut feeling is that it's unlikely. If I'm mistaken and it can be achieved with practice and patience then I would be up for trying.

Contrary to my remarks above, absolutely. Except for the bases. There is no equal to a good stone grind.

As to how to select a shop, walk in without your gear and ask about their tunes. Ask to see a pair of skis ready for customer pickup. Is the base shiny and wax free? Are the edges sharp? Bring your true bar and see if the bases are flat, edge to edge. If any of these criteria fail, move on. If they can get these things right, bring in your skis and give them a go.

What a shop looks like in the back room doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the work they do. Our shop is a bit dusty, very cramped and not perfectly organized. We do put out quality work. And don't think that just because a tuner is young, he can't do the job right. Our new tuner is 24ish and meticulous. I'll concede he is probably the exception, but you can't judge a book...

Automation isn't a problem either. The operator is far more important than the type of equipment although maintenance of the equipment is important.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
SkiMD (Framingham, MA)
Artech (Enfield, NH)
Edgewise at Skinner's in Sunapee, NH is good, but not the same quality as the original Edgewise in Stowe

Ditto Artech - 15 minutes off I-89. Excellent new base grinder and top-notch technician/tuner.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You haven't seen some of the results of home tunes that I've seen. You'd be amazed at what an home tuner can do to their bevels. Don't get me started on (not) flat bases.
Especially for those of us that don't tune our skis very often, I don't think it makes sense to tune ourselves. Between the lack of experience and practice, cost of tools, and time it takes, it's worth it for me to leave tuning to the pros. If I tuned my skis every week rather than every year (maybe) the ROI would change.

TS
puptwin

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The results on the ski are what count. You have to consider that ski service is like dealing with a contractor. You can tell them the results you are looking for but don't question their methods. You don't really need to know how they do it as long as they do a job that is good and up to your expectations.

Contrary to my remarks above, absolutely. Except for the bases. There is no equal to a good stone grind.

As to how to select a shop, walk in without your gear and ask about their tunes. Ask to see a pair of skis ready for customer pickup. Is the base shiny and wax free? Are the edges sharp? Bring your true bar and see if the bases are flat, edge to edge. If any of these criteria fail, move on. If they can get these things right, bring in your skis and give them a go.

What a shop looks like in the back room doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the work they do. Our shop is a bit dusty, very cramped and not perfectly organized. We do put out quality work. And don't think that just because a tuner is young, he can't do the job right. Our new tuner is 24ish and meticulous. I'll concede he is probably the exception, but you can't judge a book...

Automation isn't a problem either. The operator is far more important than the type of equipment although maintenance of the equipment is important.

Doug, thank you for your comments. I'm new to posting and I haven't figured out how to break things up when quoting so bear with me. Also, Coskigirl is right, I updated my profile after she asked where I live.

You've touched on all of my questions, thank you.

This post is about my apprehension with handing my skis over to someone and it comes from a few places. First, I'm becoming a better skier and can more easily tell when the skis are screwy or it's me. I've demod great skis that were incredibly bad due to poor tuning. Second, I'm buying nicer skis now and I'm more concerned about keeping them in great shape. I think of skis as a consumable item and East Coast skiing is tough on equipment; fixing a crappy tune only shortens the lifespan. Third, I'm becoming better educated about skiing through practice and experience. I was away from skiing for many years and went into a shop where the guys were really nice to buy a pair of boots. I trusted that they knew what they were doing and came out with a pair of super stiff race boots that were big, good fit for a middle aged intermediate. Every shop sells but there are not many who really serve the customer.

Thanks for the encouraging words from you and the others here who aren't afraid to tune at home. I'll probably research it here on PS and give it a try.

Sponsor

Staff online