• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often do you replace your diamond stones?

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Work the points more than the whole edge with the ceramic.
Always diamond stone after any file work! Then ceramic again.

That last pass with the ceramic is the one thing I am not doing. Is that free hand? What's the reason for that? Many thanks!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
That last pass with the ceramic is the one thing I am not doing. Is that free hand? What's the reason for that? Many thanks!

Yes, free hand. To work the point of the edges to a ultra sharp & polished points.
Say a 3 degree side, free with about a 2 degree. Base at 1 degree, free with about 1.5 degrees.
Wet best, dry okay. Make several passes with light yet firm pressure.
Use fingers to maintain the angle. Use gloves for smooth glide against ski.
With 1200 make more passes. With 600 not as many passes. Either or will be okay.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
To save your diamonds when things are very dinged up or rusty start by wrapping 220 grit wet and dry sandpaper around a stone.
Then use that just like a stone first. Make enough passes to smooth things out a bit before you use the stones. Use plenty of fluid.
Some times your going to need to file.
Use the sandpaper first! Then make a lot of passes to soften any hard areas. Then the file will work the way it should.
Stones are really just to polish and not so much to cut.
You can soften and remove small burrs with them, but don't use them on a really ragged banged up edge. Use the paper first.
220 3M wet dry paper cheep. Stones expensive.
Take a look for a few moments here YT video.

Could I ask what exactly are you doing here with that file? Under what angle do you hold the file, please?

file.JPG

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Could I ask what exactly are you doing here with that file? Under what angle do you hold the file, please?

View attachment 88594
I am shaping the sidewall. It's a sandwich construction. Just watch and listen. Put the video at 1.5 times speed, that will help.

Sponsor

Staff online