• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often do you replace your diamond stones?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Interesting. Why not simply using a file? Wouldn't that restore the edge more easily and uniformly?

What I'm saying is don't use your diamonds on a really dinged up burred edge. You can, but your going to kill the diamonds quickly.
Like I said, sometimes you need a file, but in that case it can be good to soften the edge with the sandpaper first when it has been burred from rock etc.
A machine tuned edge can be very hard, so that's a good time to use the paper before you file as well.
Once you file, then you are good to go with the diamonds.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
What I'm saying is don't use your diamonds on a really dinged up burred edge. You can, but your going to kill the diamonds quickly.
Like I said, sometimes you need a file, but in that case it can be good to soften the edge with the sandpaper first when it has been burred from rock etc.
A machine tuned edge can be very hard, so that's a good time to use the paper before you file as well.
Once you file, then you are good to go with the diamonds.

Gotcha. I actually have a ceramic stone that I bought for deburring the base when needed. I am thinking I should be using that more often, also on the side edges, just to get the "outies" taken care of, before using the diamonds. Thank you all, this has been really helpful. (not only to me, but to a lot of readers out there, I'm sure). Cheers!

Jacques

Skier
Gotcha. I actually have a ceramic stone that I bought for deburring the base when needed. I am thinking I should be using that more often, also on the side edges, just to get the "outies" taken care of, before using the diamonds. Thank you all, this has been really helpful. (not only to me, but to a lot of readers out there, I'm sure). Cheers!

Ceramic is an excellent choice for burr removal. I use mostly a 600 ceramic for that.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Or get a whetstone from Harbor Freight for bad dings.

QFT. I was just going to say use a carborundum or similar stone for the big burrs and dings.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As for the 50% alcohol mix :rocks:
Yup.
@Andy Mink
img_0019-jpeg.44534

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One handed ironing! Now that takes some serious practice. You livin' in the danger zone!
Also in shorts! You are nuts!
You are funny!!!
:roflmao:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One handed ironing! Now that takes some serious practice. You livin' in the danger zone!
Danger is my middle name. Actually, it's John but Danger sounds cooler!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Mendieta this IS instructive.

I have this amazing tungsten file that was a gift. It goes through burrs like butter. But I don't use it much as I'm afraid it'll take too much material off the side edges over time. On the bases, I just use an old, worn diamond stone and free-hand the parts that are dinged up. Is that bad? otherwise I don't touch the bottom edges. How do I know when it's time for a base grind. I was doing it 1-2 xs a season (ski about 50 days a season. 20/30 per pair give or take.) is that too much?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Danger is my middle name. Actually, it's John but Danger sounds cooler!

David Bromberg:

I’m a Danger Man from a dangerous city and I lead a very dangerous life.

I got a dangerous car, goes dangerous speeds and a very hazardous wife…

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wax and turn my skis barefoot and in shorts, does that give me some more cred? lol Hot wax on the toes does make for some interesting dance steps while ironing.

I've never used a lube on my diamond stones before.. do you guys have it mixed in a spray bottle or just a small bowl of it to drop the stones into between passes? I do clean them with hot water and a brass brush and everything seems to be okay with them. I did just buy a new set of stones from Swix last week but I have not used them yet to compare to the DMT ones I've been using for the last couple years.

Jacques

Skier
I wax and turn my skis barefoot and in shorts, does that give me some more cred? lol Hot wax on the toes does make for some interesting dance steps while ironing.

I've never used a lube on my diamond stones before.. do you guys have it mixed in a spray bottle or just a small bowl of it to drop the stones into between passes? I do clean them with hot water and a brass brush and everything seems to be okay with them. I did just buy a new set of stones from Swix last week but I have not used them yet to compare to the DMT ones I've been using for the last couple years.

Look here for a few minutes. Video

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I wanted to circle back and thank everyone for the help in this thread. I changed the way I mantain my edges. I used to mostly use the diamonds (especially the 200). Now I:

1. Run the ceramic stone by hand, really light, on the bases. If any area sounds like scratching I stay there until it smoothes out
  2. Move to the side edges. First I do the same thing with the ceramic stone as with the bases.
  3. (optionally) use the file, lightly, with the guide
  4. Diamond stone, 200, with the guide
  5. (optionally) Diamond stone 400, with the guide
Step 3 when there is some damage, like hitting rocks, and step 5 now and then to get them smoother. I don't think it matters at my pedestrian level, though. But hey.

Jacques

Skier
I wanted to circle back and thank everyone for the help in this thread. I changed the way I mantain my edges. I used to mostly use the diamonds (especially the 200). Now I:

1. Run the ceramic stone by hand, really light, on the bases. If any area sounds like scratching I stay there until it smoothes out
  2. Move to the side edges. First I do the same thing with the ceramic stone as with the bases.
  3. (optionally) use the file, lightly, with the guide
  4. Diamond stone, 200, with the guide
  5. (optionally) Diamond stone 400, with the guide
Step 3 when there is some damage, like hitting rocks, and step 5 now and then to get them smoother. I don't think it matters at my pedestrian level, though. But hey.

Very good! Your getting better all the time.
The ceramic is good to use every day if you want. Always before you wax. Small burrs that can't be seen will be removed each time.
Don't be afraid to use some good pressure after a few softer passes. Work the points more than the whole edge with the ceramic.
Always diamond stone after any file work! Then ceramic again.

Sponsor

Staff online